Your Favourite Xmas Song

Paddywhack

As I kid I can remember thinking “Yeah, good song, but surely it’s ‘send the cavalry’? Why would you want to stop them?”

I think my reasoning was any depiction I’d seen of “The cavalry” typically heralded the end of the fighting (usually in victory), so the idea of not wanting them to turn up was kinda lost on me.

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

I realised this year that I have kinda grown to dislike Fairy Tale of New York.

It's almost become a cliché in how ubiquitous it is now, but it doesn't get away with it like Slade for instance because it's tone is more bleak and sardonic. The cynical take burns out.

And it's become the not-cool 'cool' Christmas song as it's crossed the line from alternative to orthodox with it's popularity.

Obviously it's not the worst Christmas song, that's John Lennon's forever more, but I'm tired of it.

Sorry, but I still love it, and love everything about it. The combination of The Pogues and McColl, the way the cheery, optimistic start gives way to a much more cynical mid section. Yes of course it's ubiquitous and obvious, but only because it's brilliant.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Risso said:

Sorry, but I still love it, and love everything about it. The combination of The Pogues and McColl, the way the cheery, optimistic start gives way to a much more cynical mid section. Yes of course it's ubiquitous and obvious, but only because it's brilliant.

I am new to it, detested it for years and like a bolt from the blue fell completely in love with the song. It is brilliant. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Hide contents

It's the  @Rugeley Villa Xmas anthem, it even has sleigh bells!

In my youth going to The Fridge indie disco in Shrewsbury this was played every Friday during their peak 2 hours. Loved it and always associate it with that time. 

• Like 1

Â