RIP socrates

villa4europe

couldnt find a thread already for this

former Brazil captain has died aged 57, food poisoning turned into septic shock

Former Brazil World Cup captain Socrates, regarded as one of the greatest players of his generation, has died in hospital at the age of 57.

Socrates had been in the Albert Einstein Israeli Hospital in Sao Paulo since Thursday when he was interned with food poisoning which developed into septic shock and had been on a life support machine.

It was the third time Socrates has been taken to hospital since August when he spent nine days there due to a digestive haemorrhage caused by excessive drinking.

Socrates, who played for Brazil at the 1982 and 1986 World Cups, spent another 17 days in the hospital in September with liver trouble and had been recommended a transplant.

A qualified doctor whose full name was Socrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Souza Vieira de Oliveira, he sprung to fame at Corinthians in the early 1980s.

The bearded, lanky Socrates, a leading player of his generation along with fellow Brazil midfielder Zico, he also played in Italy for Fiorentina.

Socrates was a cultured midfielder who won 60 caps for the Brazil national side, scoring 22 goals.

He captained the Selecao at the 1982 World Cup and also played at the 1986 tournament in Mexico, although never managed to win football's biggest prize.

His club career included spells at Botafogo, Corinthians, Fiorentina, Flamengo and Santos, while in 2004 he famously came out of retirement at the age of 50 to make a one-off substitute appearance for English lower-league side Garforth Town.

before my time been seen plenty of him, did alot of interviews too seemed a nice bloke always smiling, ive seen the brazil italy game from 82, great game, best captain never to win the world cup?

FD49708E-DDBB-148D-908D942CD5CF568C.jpg

I was in junior school when he was in his pomp alongside Zico. I can remember having discussions with my friends as to who was the best player in the world at the time out of Socrates, Zico and the new kid on the scene Maradonna. Think we all pretty much had Socrates second at the time behind Zico. Not sure that endorsement from 9/10 year olds is much to go on but he was certainty one of the greats of the game.

RIP.

best captain never to win the world cup?

A lot of people say that the 82 Brazil team are the best team to never win the World Cup (I guess the other big contender is the Dutch team of 1974) and plenty of people in Brazil say that the 82 team was the best Brazilian team of all time. How true that is I dont know, but they were certainly one of the most entertaining. Samba football at its finest, and Socrates was the heartbeat of that.

Saw him play for Garforth Town when I was at Uni in Leeds in 2004 (or 2005, can't quite remember)

He was shit, but was great to say that I've seen him play. Generated a fair bit of publicity for the club too.

RIP

Have only saw highlights or classic matches and he looked special in that Brazil team. He chain smoked and drank a lot but was a qualified doctor.

Seemed like a character you wouldnt see in modern game

I am old enough to remember the '70 World Cup, which for me ignited the smouldering embers of a love of the game. And what a fantastic team of out and out performers that was.......

And Socrates? He would have not have looked out of place amongst those greats.

Super player. Sad news.

The Corinthians' Democracy (Portuguese: Democracia Corintiana) was an ideological movement and an innovative way to manage a club, recognized in Brazil as one of the most important actions in the intend to struggle against dictatorship and the only movement of this nature installed on a football club known to this day. At the time, it was a challenge to the military government even to spell "Democracy".

Led by the cultured midfield maestro Sócrates[1] and by full back Wladimir, and with the consent of club president Waldemar Pires, the squad players took control over the management of the team Sport Club Corinthians Paulista. One of the most notable decisions they made was, in 1982, having "Vote on 15th" printed on the back of their shirts to motivate fans to vote in the first Brazilian multiparty election since the 1964 military coup.

The movement had the backing of artists and intellectuals, such as senior media creative Washington Olivetto, who coined the term Democracia Corintiana. Eventually, the government reacted, as Brigadier Jerônimo Bastos, head of the CBD, warned the club for interfering in political affairs.

Football was art that could influence society, I'll have a little whisky later to say bye bye.

When i first clapped eyes on him in the 82 World Cup he immediately stood out as having the stature of a central defender being played in midfield. Almost awkard looking until he received the ball and then that amazing grace took over. Fantastic footballer and maybe the prelude to what is now the most sought after requirement in modern day football, an athlete in midfield with the ability to pass.

Â