RIP Gary Speed

RussG

No offense intended but I always find this view rather simplistic and bordering on the ignorant in term so understanding depression and mental illness.

So its just a sad illness as anyone at anytime could do something like this, if they are suffering and tell nobody, or nobody picks up on it at all?

There are no signs whats so ever, someone can lead a normal life talk to friends as they normally do but are in fact suffering?

Conspiracy theories bordering on the rediculous circulating

Ranging from hanging by sexual gratification like david carradine, murder suicide by the welsh mafia even people saying the Illuminati killed him

Unbelievable

And talking about them on a public forum, makes more or less people talk about rumours true or false?

i admit i did have afew issues years ago with depression but what got me through it was thinking if i ended it all the suffering and pain my parents and family would ahve to go through . i could never do that to them...

guess its all down to circumstances and way of thinking

No offense intended but I always find this view rather simplistic and bordering on the ignorant in term so understanding depression and mental illness.

So its just a sad illness as anyone at anytime could do something like this, if they are suffering and tell nobody, or nobody picks up on it at all?

There are no signs whats so ever, someone can lead a normal life talk to friends as they normally do but are in fact suffering?

I'm sorry I have literally no idea what point you are making or how this relates to my point that someone having lots of money really has nothing to do with depression or mental illness.

The Sun have denied having any kind of story or investigation about Gary so we can put that one to bed.

Given news internationals' reputation for not being able to tell the truth about such matters I wouldn't rule this out. I hope not, but I wouldn't take anything they say as remotely plausible.

I'm sorry I have literally no idea what point you are making or how this relates to my point that someone having lots of money really has nothing to do with depression or mental illness.

I didn't mean anything about the money, anyone rich or poor could have depression, thats what point was?

I think what's interesting is that over the last 10 or 12 years, attitudes to mental illness are changing. When Stan was suffering with depression, John Gregory's attitude was pretty much 'buck your ideas up son,' and real stress is a single mother with 4 kids to feed. I think numerous people agreed with Gregory's summary and thought Stan should get on with it.

Looking at things now, this is a very outdated, narrow minded ignorant view. This is indisputably a horrible, debilitating illness which can affect young and old, rich and poor. How a married family man who is wealthy, successful in his career and outwardly normal can suffer such inner despair is baffling to many, but the illness by its very nature is much more complex.

*Assuming this is the case.

i admit i did have afew issues years ago with depression but what got me through it was thinking if i ended it all the suffering and pain my parents and family would ahve to go through . i could never do that to them...

guess its all down to circumstances and way of thinking

This, when I had depression a few years ago I just didnt want to be here anymore but thinking about what I would leave behind kicks in straight away, a mate had already seen signs of me being down and had wrote a list of why I had a purpose with me being a dad, a son a brother a friend etc.

We dont know what it is but I have seen it happen so many times like the Germany's World Cup goalkeeper Robert Enke

Rarely has a news piece resonated with me so strongly.

As is evident by some of the posts in here, this has obviously struck a chord with anyone who has ever gone through a period of depression. Now is certainly not the time to look for silver linings (which dont exist), but I hope this acts as a stark warning for those who do suffer from depression and enacts them to do something about it.

I was devastated when I heard this news yesterday, pro footballer and nice bloke by all accounts. :(

Also the level of ignorance about depression in this country angers me, especially when people say "rich people aren't allowed to be depressed blah blah"

RIP Speedo.

No idea how a millionaire with a family

In these situations I don't think that makes a blind bit of difference

Fully agree with this.

People in this very thread have said the only thing that STOPPED them killing themselves is family, so I would say it does make a difference.

As for the money = happiness debate that's probably not for this thread

I was on the verge of tears a couple of times thinking about this yesterday. I came out of work and heard he was dead. I watched some of SSN when I got home, and listened to 606 on the night with Robbie Savage spending most of the hour understandably choked up. I concur with I think Trent's comments earlier - you never, ever heard a bad word about Gary Speed. He was one of the few players from other sides I liked while he was playing, he was such a great mid. He mastered the late run into the box before Cahill was even thought of. I'd never met the chap, I wasn't Welsh, and obviously he was never a Villa man, but it choked me up a little more than once during the day, more than I can say many lost Villa men have done for me.

It's intensely sad that a man so loved by seemingly all of British football is gone well before his time.

People in this very thread have said the only thing that STOPPED them killing themselves is family, so I would say it does make a difference.

I disagree to an extent, as there's no hard and fast commonality to mental health issues; the extent and nature of someone's suffering will differ depending on the individual, sometimes to a great extent.

Â