• Petrov
    • Bannan
    • Herd
    • Bent
    • Agbonlahor
    • Cuellar (for Hutton 41)
    • Heskey (for N'Zogbia 60)
    • Albrighton (for Bannan 78)

but didn't they score a goal that was wrongfully rule offside and the set piece defending had nothing to do with the rubbish decisions!

Apart from the fact that Herd would've been marking Olsson for the header he scored, and that their corner and pressure in the second half were entirely due to us being overrun in midfield, where we were obviously too light with just Bannan and Petrov.

sack AM. in a dominant position, playing good football and could have already been 2 up before the pen. have you people watched the game? great team selection, good performance until the crazy decision. but hey its all the garters fault. get a **** grip.

exactly.

Those that criticise the manager, heskey, etc after today are quite simply morons.

Who dares to criticise Ze powerhouse?

but didn't they score a goal that was wrongfully rule offside and the set piece defending had nothing to do with the rubbish decisions!

Apart from the fact that Herd would've been marking Olsson for the header he scored, and that their corner and pressure in the second half were entirely due to us being overrun in midfield, where we were obviously too light with just Bannan and Petrov.

possibly but you can't honestly say that Herd would have picked up Olsson and Scharner.

Petrov being shit is a different matter.

up until the ref got confirmation the money cleasred into his account we were looking comfortable, not great but on top of things generally.

then obviously the message came through from the linesman that the funds had cleared and he changed the game

so nothing we could do until half time

this is where the manager then earns the **** fortune this tit gets paid.

and he changes.......... nothing

so he keeps nzogbia on the pitch, keeps bent and gabby on and decides petrov and bannan who got over ran ( quite obvious it would happen) from the moment herd got sent off until half way through the second half on and then takes him off and puts on who?

**** heskey, and then plays him in the middle of the park, oh he then takes off banan and puts another wide man on

you really cant make this shit up

so rather than at 1-1 take off nzogbia who had yet again been shit and put clarke on to shore up the middle and give us control of the park again and try and play more to gabbys strengths we do the complete opposite

i also wonder what the motives are from some who are blindly defending piss poor managing

almost like posting for effect or wind up merchants.

basic simple decisions a sunday league manager would sort out he cant do, totally embarassing, although no matter how embarassing and shit it is, it isnt as embarassing as some of the 'fans' who blindly ignore all the shit and pretend all is great

team ? no one played well today, no one had a shocker apart from hutton and nzogbia but so far it is expected of them on their form in a villa shirt, the best thing they did is take each other out of the game.

linesman and ref, congrats, you made the headlines and no doubt earned yourselves a pretty penny on the asian gambling circuits

AM congrats, you look more and more clueless as the weeks go by with stupid choices almost like it is a deliberate act to make us as shit as possible.

possibly but you can't honestly say for certainty unless you are Mystic Meg that Herd would have picked up Olsson or even Scharner.

Petrov being shit is a different matter.

Clearly Darren Cann's moment of idiocy was a big turning point. Alas, we can't defend set pieces and that cost the goals.

I don't blame the manager for this game, thought the starting line-up was good, and that was justified by a good first half hour. The subs did not change the game but all were justified at the time - Cuellar was a forced decision, Heskey because we needed more height (both for defending and trying to hold the ball from hoofs) and Albrighton because Bannan faded out of the match in the 2nd half. I don't think any other choices would have worked out better, tbh.

Ratings:

Given 6 - okay, don't think he could do anything for the goals.

Hutton 4 - very poor player, tackle on Long was reckless even if he won ball & though he managed to avoid yellow there, got a stupid one later.

Warnock 6 - pretty decent

Dunne 6 - okay for most part, but he's gotta take some blame for the poor set piece situation

Collins 6 - see Dunne

N'Zogbia 5 - limited impact before the red card, even less after

Herd 6 - assuming he didn't stamp on the player (and the replays certainly did not show much) he did fine and is very unlucky with the decision. Perhaps a bit over-enthusiastic in a couple of tackles, but he could grow into that DM role

Petrov 5 - got over-run in 2nd half & was a bit wasteful with passing sometimes

Bannan 6 - promising early on, good shot & a couple of good balls in, faded after the red card as he couldn't get on the ball

Gabby 7 - deserves a lot of credit for winning the pen, few players would have the pace & anticipation to do that, also put in a lot of running.

Bent 5 - scored the pen, but limited impact otherwise and missed the best chance of the match. If he's not going to do much else he has to bury chances like that.

subs:

Cuellar 5 - looked a bit rusty, at fault for the 2nd. Still I'd like to see him stay in the team ahead of Hutton as he will get better. First game in a long time, so not surprising he was slightly off the pace

Heskey 5 - limited impact

Albrighton 5 - poor crosses on the 2 or 3 occasions he had a chance

Herd had an absolutely storming 40 minutes...

I said in match thread, that imo Herd was was best player on the pitch until that point. my only hope is that this setback (like Lewis Hamilton, though I don't want to go off topic) does not change him. aggression is a good thing if used properly.

I dont agree that Hutton shouldve been sent off. He got the ball, there were no studs or foot raised and he bent his legs backwards before hitting Long. SLiding tackles always follow through, most of the time the player jumps over and nothing happens, red wouldve been a poor decision.

Anyone who doesn't think Mcleish should take some blame today is living in that famous Egyptian river.

Not the first time this season we haven't achieved a single shot on goal which is beyond shocking and beyond acceptable.

Would we have won the match if Herd hadn't been sent off? Maybe

Are we a shit football team? Definitely.

Yes the sending off changed the game etc... which I agree with.

However 0 attempts on target isn't good enough regardless of the sending off.. that was also WBA's first win in 32 years at VP.

3 off target including a Bent sitter. Stats don't tell the whole story.

I would say that 3 off target 'isn't good enough' and missing a sitter 'isn't good enough' from Bent.

Yes, we were robbed by officials and that was the thing which had the greatest impact on the game. However, how far are we going to take that reasoning? We shouldn't even have come back onto the pitch after half time if nothing we did after the sending off mattered.

Fact is, it did matter, and we didn't do much. Some people say the subs made sense, I say they weren't what we needed. One ineffective player for another (Heskey for Zog), and one positive attacking player who was performing OK for an attacking player who has been performing less than OK for a while (Alby for Bannan). Alby got two adequate tackles in but didn't get involved in a single good attacking move that I saw.

Set pieces need to be improved all round, because let's face it, since when is Herd our only hope for defending crosses? It's unusual for him to even be in the team. The players seemed to lose belief as it went on. Aside from a tidy penalty take, Bent was a waste of space and should have been one of the players subbed. Dowd is an incompetent clearing in the woods... but if he was a competent clearing in the woods, Hutton would have been off anyway.

Let's stop acting such victims - victims of rich sheikhs and of blind linesman - and realise there are things the team and manager could be doing which they're not doing.

Anyone who doesn't think Mcleish should take some blame today is living in that famous Egyptian river.

Not the first time this season we haven't achieved a single shot on goal which is beyond shocking and beyond acceptable.

Would we have won the match if herd hasn't been sent off? Maybe

Are we a shit football team? Definitely.

Yet we had 3 off target, scored a penalty before the red card. The entire second half was spent defending. Jeez, it's really quite boring now. We were controlling the game. West Brom were awful for large parts of the game. I maintain we would have won had it not been for the sending off.

if we been 1-0 down at the hawthorns - and albion had a player sent off - could you honestly see this villa team storming to a 2-1 win ?

Actually a very good point. Yes its hard to play with 10, but we were poor today. Again.

We are in trouble.

I know we now have a ban to get through, but how many of us think herd should be the first name on the team sheet this year?

If Hutton should have been sent off then Foster should have also for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Herd showed enough today to show that he could be the missing piece of the puzzle there in midfield - he's a bit like Reo-Coker with bedsprings on his boots.

I'm gutted for the kid because I have really wanted to see him get another chance in the first team. Hope they get his card rescinded and he gets another chance next week.

Absolute bullshit sending off and yes we should have been able to defend that score.

And God I hate Paul Scharner.

Not as much as I hate Dowd mind...

up until the ref got confirmation the money cleasred into his account we were looking comfortable, not great but on top of things generally.

then obviously the message came through from the linesman that the funds had cleared and he changed the game

so nothing we could do until half time

this is where the manager then earns the **** fortune this tit gets paid.

and he changes.......... nothing

so he keeps nzogbia on the pitch, keeps bent and gabby on and decides petrov and bannan who got over ran ( quite obvious it would happen) from the moment herd got sent off until half way through the second half on and then takes him off and puts on who?

**** heskey, and then plays him in the middle of the park, oh he then takes off banan and puts another wide man on

you really cant make this shit up

so rather than at 1-1 take off nzogbia who had yet again been shit and put clarke on to shore up the middle and give us control of the park again and try and play more to gabbys strengths we do the complete opposite

i also wonder what the motives are from some who are blindly defending piss poor managing

almost like posting for effect or wind up merchants.

basic simple decisions a sunday league manager would sort out he cant do, totally embarassing, although no matter how embarassing and shit it is, it isnt as embarassing as some of the 'fans' who blindly ignore all the shit and pretend all is great

team ? no one played well today, no one had a shocker apart from hutton and nzogbia but so far it is expected of them on their form in a villa shirt, the best thing they did is take each other out of the game.

linesman and ref, congrats, you made the headlines and no doubt earned yourselves a pretty penny on the asian gambling circuits

AM congrats, you look more and more clueless as the weeks go by with stupid choices almost like it is a deliberate act to make us as shit as possible.

Couldn't agree more.

I would add that Herd looked good whilst he was on the pitch and, at last, McLeish has done something to try and shore up that huge hole in CM. I think we might have a very good defensive utility player on our hands.

Â