Weekends football 22/23 October

andykeenan

Manchester City are like the enormous black hole pulling everyone in, and now Man United look like they have been sucked in. Today may mark another day that football died.

Football has always been about money. The Man Utds, Liverpool, Arsenals have been successful because they've had a massive financial advantage for the last 20-30 years with their continual supply of CL money. The only way to compete is spend a massive amount of cash. Good luck to Man City. Just wish it was us.

Of course it has been. But you show me where a club has spent as much as Manchester City have in the last five years? A club who can just pay a player any amount? The level is unprecedented and no other club bar perhaps PSG can keep up in the long term?

Its easy enough to hate Manchester United and Fergie. What you can’t deny is that they became what they are through one of the great managers (Busby) and whether you like it or not Ferguson. Look what he did at Aberdeen. Sure he’s spent money. Sure he’s spunked money. But he’s a great great manager. Easily one of the greatest managers of all time. Every time he’s been knocked down, by Arsenal, by Chelsea he’s got up and come back stronger. Yet this time he’s got a superhuman task that maybe even he can’t overcome. I personally don’t think Mancini is a quarter of the manager Fergie is.

I for one never wanted Villa to get to the top just through relentless money spending (Jo £19 million anyone?), I wanted us to get to the top through spending some, and hard work. Man City to use computer game terms have got the limitless money short cut.

I read that in four years Manchester City have spent more than Fergie has in 25. Even with inflation thats a staggering stat.

and what we learn today is apparently if you're owned by a megagazillionaire you can take the piss and buy all the best players and destroy all competition.

fair play to m city fans living in the shade of m united cant be fun, but just highlights how **** up football is.

however, I think the only reason so many of us are using the "football's broke" mantra is that villa are doing shit.

I don't see much discontent from newcastle, spurs, stoke, fulham, west brom, etc about "broken football". Everton fans may feel the same as us, but again, it's fallen giants being total shit syndrome I think... when fans of teams who are doing well - relative to their expectations, then others might listen,.

however, I think the only reason so many of us are using the "football's broke" mantra is that villa are doing shit.

Of course its a part of it, but I think people are also realising that you should be careful what you wish for. I never wanted the premiership, sky or the Champions League. I never wanted FIFA to behave as it did, etc, etc. In the end what we have to today is a symptom not a cause of football’s direction

Just watched the Manchester derby....Unbelievable. A City win wouldn't have surprised me, but 6-1 certainly does. True, they had a man advantage, but United are known for actually being able to play BETTER down a man...City just have too much quality, too much depth, even for United. United's midfield looked totally outclassed, and the defending was brutal. They miss Vidic something terrible. Ferdinand looks past it.

But how good is David Silva? SCARY. I'm not sure how Gareth Barry gets a starting spot in that team, but credit Mancini for getting it all right.

Looks like it's all City's to lose now. They're too good.

I'm not sure how Gareth Barry gets a starting spot in that team, but credit Mancini for getting it all right.

Barry is a top class midfielder, he is excellent at recycling possession and picking out a good forward pass. He is really well suited to the way Man City are playing this year.

But how good is David Silva? SCARY. I'm not sure how Gareth Barry gets a starting spot in that team, but credit Mancini for getting it all right.

Because he is a top class midfielder, the best Aston Villa player of his generation and, along with his present team mate Milner, they are probably the second and third best Villa players of the Premier League years.

Â