Who is the best front man?

PauloBarnesi

Charlie Simpson.

saw him last thursday at the slade rooms in wolvo, really talented bloke and his work with fightstar is quality. grand unification is a stunning debut album and i dont think he gets the recognition he deserves just because he had a few years in a pop group.

Saw The Flaming Lips once, and was mightily impressed with their stage act.

But when I closed my eyes and listened to the music without the visuals I heard a pretty ordinary band (Steely Dan on an off-day sprang to mind).

Pretty much my thoughts. A passable but average band with dellusions of being cutting edge and 'psychedelic' maaaaaan.

Comes a cross as a bit desperate at times.

Do you like anything?

Yeah plenty. As per my posts in this thread. Just not the shit you do obviously

interesting article by Iggy Pop on Kurt Cobain and Nirvana

:-

"The first time I saw Nirvana was at the Pyramid Club, a rank, wonderful, anything-goes dive bar on Avenue A in New York. It wasn't known for having live bands; it was known more for cross-dressing and bar dancing. I had a photographer friend, and he told me, "There's a really hot band from Seattle you have to see. They're gonna play the Pyramid, of all places!"

You could smell the talent on Kurt Cobain. He had this sort of elfin delivery, but it was not naval gazing. He was jumping around and throwing himself into every number. He'd sort of hunch over his guitar like an evil little troll, but you heard this throaty power in his voice. At the end of the set he tossed himself into the drums. It was one of maybe 15 performances I've seen where rock & roll is very, very good.

After that, I bought Bleach, and listened to it in Europe and Asia on tour. I still like this album very much, but there was one song, "About a Girl," that's not like the rest of the album. It sounded like someone gave Thorazine to the Beatles. And I thought, "If he puts out a record full of that, he's gonna get really rich." And sure enough ...

I met Kurt at a club in L.A. right before Nevermind came out. We took a picture and he said, "Come on, let's give the finger!" So we did. I bought Nevermind and I thought, "This has really got it." Nirvana genuinely achieved dynamics. They took you down, they took you up, and when they pressed a certain button, they took you over. They rocked without rushing and they managed melody without being insipid. It was emotional without sounding dated or corny or weak.

Some time later, Kurt reached out to me. I missed the call, but my wife took the message: "Kurt Cobain wants to go into the studio with you." See, I'm 113 years old now; I was about 72 in the Nineties, so I was going to bed at, like, 10 p.m., and he was just getting going around 11. I did call him back a couple of times. The number was from the Four Seasons in L.A., and I would get these responses like, "Mr. Cobain has not left the room for three days" or "Mr. Cobain is under the bed."

As for his legacy: He was Johnny B. Goode. He was the last example that I can think of within rock & roll where a poor kid with no family backup from a small, rural area effected a serious emotional explosion in a significant sector of world youth. It was not made in Hollywood. There were no chrome parts. It was very down-home at its root. Somebody who is truly nobody from nowhere reached out and touched the world. He may have touched it right on its wound."

Iggy-Pop-Kurt-Cobain-and-Krist-Novoselic.jpg

Without reading the thread -

Joshua Homme.

Best ginger to have ever walked the planet. His draw is evident by the amount of talent that want to play with QOTSA at any given time. I can't wait for their next album, gagging for it.

From the bands I listen to, of my generation, he is undoubtedly the finest front man going. I can't comment on anything I dont listen to, and I don't really listen to music that pre-dates Brit-Pop, so Josh wins the accolade, at a canter.

interesting article by Iggy Pop on Kurt Cobain and Nirvana

:-

"The first time I saw Nirvana was at the Pyramid Club, a rank, wonderful, anything-goes dive bar on Avenue A in New York. It wasn't known for having live bands; it was known more for cross-dressing and bar dancing. I had a photographer friend, and he told me, "There's a really hot band from Seattle you have to see. They're gonna play the Pyramid, of all places!"

You could smell the talent on Kurt Cobain. He had this sort of elfin delivery, but it was not naval gazing. He was jumping around and throwing himself into every number. He'd sort of hunch over his guitar like an evil little troll, but you heard this throaty power in his voice. At the end of the set he tossed himself into the drums. It was one of maybe 15 performances I've seen where rock & roll is very, very good.

After that, I bought Bleach, and listened to it in Europe and Asia on tour. I still like this album very much, but there was one song, "About a Girl," that's not like the rest of the album. It sounded like someone gave Thorazine to the Beatles. And I thought, "If he puts out a record full of that, he's gonna get really rich." And sure enough ...

I met Kurt at a club in L.A. right before Nevermind came out. We took a picture and he said, "Come on, let's give the finger!" So we did. I bought Nevermind and I thought, "This has really got it." Nirvana genuinely achieved dynamics. They took you down, they took you up, and when they pressed a certain button, they took you over. They rocked without rushing and they managed melody without being insipid. It was emotional without sounding dated or corny or weak.

Some time later, Kurt reached out to me. I missed the call, but my wife took the message: "Kurt Cobain wants to go into the studio with you." See, I'm 113 years old now; I was about 72 in the Nineties, so I was going to bed at, like, 10 p.m., and he was just getting going around 11. I did call him back a couple of times. The number was from the Four Seasons in L.A., and I would get these responses like, "Mr. Cobain has not left the room for three days" or "Mr. Cobain is under the bed."

As for his legacy: He was Johnny B. Goode. He was the last example that I can think of within rock & roll where a poor kid with no family backup from a small, rural area effected a serious emotional explosion in a significant sector of world youth. It was not made in Hollywood. There were no chrome parts. It was very down-home at its root. Somebody who is truly nobody from nowhere reached out and touched the world. He may have touched it right on its wound."

Iggy-Pop-Kurt-Cobain-and-Krist-Novoselic.jpg

:thumb: Good little read that. Got the 1991: The Year Punk Broke on DVD last week. Lots of footage of Nirvana, and Kurt, on tour with Sonic Youth across Europe. It's good to see him having fun, and genuinely having a blast, before it all got too much for him.

I've been fortunate to see a good few down the years and Liam Gallagher is a fair shout on his day, but Dave Gahan gave an amazing performance on the one occasion I saw him.

Coming in at page 12 I apologise if this one's already been thrown out there but Pelle Almqvist of The Hives has been amazing whenever I've seen them. He interacts with the crowd, has a great voice and is full of beans live on stage. Even if you don't like their music I'd recommend trying to see them live just for him.

I'm also a massive fan of Tim Burgess but I'll start another thread on that one ;)

Any shouts for Mike Patton yet

Yes from me on page 4...

I personally think Patton not only has one of the greatest voices ever but his discography is so eclectic. It's a shame people think popular music is the barometer for quality and never seek out artists such as Patton who represent the uniqueness of music.

Good article from Iggy Pop in regard to Kurt Cobain there; he's right that Kurt had the energy seldom seen in music. Unfortunately he got disenchanted by music because of Producers and record companies begging him for the next Smells Like Teen Spirit...oh and I guess the heroin didn't help either!

A musical get-together between Iggy and Kurt definitely would've been a good listen; I know Kurt was a massive Stooges fan. Nirvana meets the Stooges, if only!

I personally think Patton not only has one of the greatest voices ever but his discography is so eclectic.

I've mentioned it in about a hundred other threads down the years, but he is easily my favourite male vocalist ever.

Any shouts for Mike Patton yet

Yes from me on page 4...

I personally think Patton not only has one of the greatest voices ever but his discography is so eclectic.

Not only is it ecelctic, but it's all pretty good. I mean literally everything is worth a listen. From his vocals for Faith No More and Tomahawk, the wackiness of Mr. Bungle and Hemophiliac, his exploits into metal with Fantomas and Dillinger Escape Plan, his pop albums with Lovage and Peeping Tom, the glorious Italian work he did last year as Mondo Cane, the noise and experimental albums as Maldoror and the Adult Themes for Voice album...they're all so good

Yes I agree, possibly my favourite frontman/voice/performer of all time!

Have you heard the Perfect Crime soundtrack which he composed? There's another out soon called The Solitude of Prime Numbers.

I also really like the Kaada/Patton project Romances which was a reworking of cinematic Sci-fi soundtracks from the 1960's/1970's but as imagined by Mahler, Liszt, Brahms and Chopin. It was so imaginative and so atmospheric, creating moments of beauty and eeriness too.

The John Zorn/Moonchild project is insane...did you know Patton is to appear on Zorn's upcoming Christmas album (i kid you not) and sings on "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and "The Christmas Song". Can't wait for that!!!

Upcoming projects called Crudo (with Dan the Automator) a Lovage pt.2 perhaps? And The Nevermen with Doseone (from Anticon).

I think I first got bit by FNM when I saw this as a kid in 1992 -

Â