Who is the best front man?

PauloBarnesi

Indeed. I'd have spat out my coffee had I been drinking any. The question is about frontmen, not who is your favourite band. The Clash were very much a group in my opinion. Arguing for Joe Strummer would be like arguing for John Lennon.

:?

The Clash are not my favourite band FWIW. Joe Strummer was a frontman. Of The Clash, and later of other acts. I'm not sure that's something you can dispute. On what planet was Strummer not a frontman?! More to the point, he was a great frontman. Lennon, btw, from footage I have seen was (for all his undoubted talents) some way from being a great frontman.

I'm not meaning to belittle Jones by calling him a sidekick. Keef was just as important to the Stones as Mick to was the Clash... does this somehow mean Jagger wasn't a great frontman, or is somehow disqualified? Queen were "very much a group", as you say of The Clash... they all were in it together, all playing a big part in the writing of the music. Does this somehow disqualify Freddie?

Indeed. I'd have spat out my coffee had I been drinking any. The question is about frontmen, not who is your favourite band. The Clash were very much a group in my opinion. Arguing for Joe Strummer would be like arguing for John Lennon.

:?

The Clash are not my favourite band FWIW. Joe Strummer was a frontman. Of The Clash, and later of other acts. I'm not sure that's something you can dispute. On what planet was Strummer not a frontman?! More to the point, he was a great frontman. Lennon, btw, from footage I have seen was (for all his undoubted talents) some way from being a great frontman.

I'm not meaning to belittle Jones by calling him a sidekick. Keef was just as important to the Stones as Mick to was the Clash... does this somehow mean Jagger wasn't a great frontman, or is somehow disqualified? Queen were "very much a group", as you say of The Clash... they all were in it together, all playing a big part in the writing of the music. Does this somehow disqualify Freddie?

I think you misunderstand. Apart from a VERY occasional album track, Mercury was THE SINGER in Queen. Lennon was NOT the sole lead vocalist or songwriter in The Beatles, nor was Strummer in The Clash. Mick Jones wrote and sang a bit less, but still quite a lot.

I'm not a fan of or know much about The Clash as I think they were shit, but Joe Strummer was the lead singer and therefore the "front man" was he not?

Christian Alvestam, Tomi Joutsen, Anders Friden, Dani Filth, Tarja Turunen, Til Lindeman, Corey Taylor
:huh:

I'm pulling a Mooney on that list as well. I've a hunch that the last one might be in Slipknot, so I'm guessing that the rest also front some similarly shite bands!

Anders Friden

I'v always like In Flames but still see them as a poor mans At The Gates. All good frontmen/women!

In Flames, At The Gates and Dark Tranquility are pretty much the same band, tbh, they've even exchanged members, so I see them as a unity more or less ( even though their styles are slighty different ).

Christian Alvestam, Tomi Joutsen, Anders Friden, Dani Filth, Tarja Turunen, Til Lindeman, Corey Taylor
:huh:

Tarja Turunen - System Of A Down?

Dani Filth - Cradle of Filth?

Corey Taylor - Slipknot?

The rest I have no idea.

Â