Xbox One

hogso

I'm not sure you've been following the conversation. I don't trust a company who we know leaks Skype calls to the NSA to have an always on microphone in my living room. Someone else suggested that game developers would have to keep asking people to turn it on. I explained that's a simple message on the screen. You've now completed the circle and we're back where we started.

I don't want it to be easy for a company we know spies for the NSA to have access to a live microphone in someone's house, especially if that person thinks that it's not live.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now comes with a headset. Shame it's only taken them till now to announce it. Would've been a silly idea to make people pay for a headset and charge kit on day one (still have to buy the charge kit).

Hadn't read the above, but they have now confirmed that (unsurprising) Smart Match (the system that 'smartly' matches you up against other players of a similiar 'level' instead of a normal lobby), Skype, OneGuide (the TV thing), and the Gaming DVR (to record gameplay and share it) all requires a Gold sub. Sony have confirmed that the gameplay recording/streaming and cross game chat on PS4 will not require a PS+ sub.

Microsoft established Gold as a nice money spinner - they were never going to place anything in front of the paywall that threatened the paywalls viability. Hence the complete lack of surprise that anything, even bloody Skype, is going up behind the paywall.

I'm waiting for the version of the console with a meter on it. You pump 50ps in at a steady rate to have it work, there'd be a whacky 40s style pneumatic system pumping the coins straight to the Microsoft money pit, and it'd use the Kinect to work out when you're walking past so it could pump up the power and suck £20s straight out of your wallet as you go out the door, on the sly.

Sales must be bad for them to backtrack so much..

Most of the people I know IRL are getting one over the PS4 though :o

Same here. My mate won't budge from the Xbox One. He wont listen that it's going to do everything the Xbox can, but for much less.

Eurogamer.net ‏@eurogamer 5m

Xbox One will function without Kinect plugged in. "We wanted people to be 100 per cent comfortable."

Now take the Kinect away, charge me £80 less and ill get one.

Completely agree with this. Forcing the Kinect on people is probably the main reason I'm planning on buying a PS4. I really don't want to spend an extra £80 on a device I have no intention of using. After this news I fully expect a Kinectless Xbone to be announced at Gamescom that's the same, or cheaper than the PS4.

Edited by DCJonah

If they announce a Kinectless Xbox at Gamescom I'll cancel my PS4 pre-order and order the Xbox. The new Xbox control pads look awesome!

Yeah, I'd probably change from buying a PS4 to an Xbox as well. After owning both current gen consoles I have so much more faith in Xbox Live.

I'm fully expecting MS to announce they have added GDDR5 at some point, maybe a touch panel to the controller or heck, the ability to play ps4 games. 

Such a confused, directionless company. No way I'd put my stock in them anytime soon. The xbone fiasco makes the surface launch look downright smooth and polished.

If they announce a Kinectless Xbox at Gamescom I'll cancel my PS4 pre-order and order the Xbox. The new Xbox control pads look awesome!

I hope they don't, or that you'll reconsider.

They've tried to **** people, lied through their teeth about the necessity of the changes they tried to force on people, and only started to back down gradually when they realised it'd hurt their bottom line. Microsoft got caught out trying to **** their audience, don't give them money just because they said sorry afterwards.

Sony only took the stance they did for money, of course, but if they dominate their generation after MS's original intentions, it sets the scene for the future.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Â