The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

It was clear after his press conference yesterday he thought he would be going.

I was prepared to give him another season after the Fulham game as I expected the team to push on after the pressure was seemingly off us. Since them, it has been an unmitigating disaster and he has to go now.

Just hope the next man in gets rid of the players that have let us down so badly over the last 2 seasons, otherwise we will continue to struggle.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce, Curbishley, McLaren, Burley.

All these muppets will apply, let's hope Lerner & Faulkner get some help in the decision making/interview process.

Oh yes, he really is going ain't he :D! If Mat Kendrick and Birmingham Mail say he'll be sacked today, I believe them. Get in!

I'm happy the board are not wasting their time. Would give plenty of time to get a new manager in to rebuild the squad.

Speaking yesterday McLeish said: “You can’t start fearing for your job at any time. I think that would be really negative. I’ll be going into the meeting as positive as possible.

Yes. Because being negative is something Mr McLeish only leaves for the **** football pitch.

“We’ll be talking about change. There’s no doubt we need to change things. I’ve got to get a team that’s out on the pitch and is a kind of extension of myself.

The biggest change being the manager.

“I’m not a quitter. I’ve been determined all my life. I’ve been quite successful in my career.

Apart from last summer after relegating Birmingham City. And Scotland to join Birmingham City. And Hibs.

“But for three minutes last season and one goal I would have been probably the greatest manager in Birmingham’s history – that’s how fine a line it is.”

That says more about Birmingham City than your ability.

Asked if he had been in contact with his boardroom bosses, McLeish replied: “Just text messages and emails and that kind of thing. I never detected anything negative at all. So that’s it, season’s over, we’ve had a tough challenge.”

That explains it. He genuinely believes his football isn't negative because he has some sort of anti-negativity radar.

As far back as last summer when he accepted the job McLeish feared Villa were destined for a relegation scrap, if they lost experienced players.

“I said at the start of the season that if we lost some experienced players it could be a battle. I even said we could be in the bottom six or seven. My worst fears were confirmed.”

That's funny. As many of us said we'd be fighting relegation as soon as you were appointed. And our fears were also confirmed. And a lot closer that 'bottom six or seven'.

“It’s been a hell of a challenge for me as a manager and I’ve done my utmost and my best, trying to think left-field at times, when we needed results,” he added.

You've thought left-field and put a full back there. Or Emile Heskey, who isn't a footballer anymore.

Do we actually have any targets as manager? What kind of football we intend to produce, aims, goals? If not it could be out of the frying pan.... Is there anyone decent who could actually work with our squad (very young and lightweight in places)?

Difficult one to answer, and obviously the form of robust defending we were supposed to have played was really not working with our current manager.

There are not too many managers about who could get our squad back to winning ways on a shoestring budget. A higher profile manager may need funding to get players in to fit the calibre of players he needs to get his system together.

Personally I do not believe that PL experience is needed here, as those who may be available are really not much of a step up from where we are now.

I do hope that Randy has some kind of a plan on the go, maybe with a target man already sighted.

I think money will be available to the new Manager. It's a myth that McLeish wasn't backed. Hutton, Given, N'Zogbia, Stevens, Jenas, Keane will have all costed us money, whether it's salary or an actual fee. I reckon he's had around twenty mill. He has failed at just about very level has McLeish.

whoever the next guy is we need to stick with him. Changing managers all of the time is getting us nowhere and its doing my head in.

Its ok saying that but if the new guy sets us up to lose every week without any sign of things improving then the fans will be on his back too. New guy needs to at least show glimpses of what he is trying to do (imo What Houllier was doing).

Sitting in the pub yeterday bloke gets on the microphone and to the tune of Delilah starts belting out ' Why why why Mcliesh your a bore you always play for the draw and the now the Holte End can't take it anymore ' .

Summed it up for me just Trinity Road can't either

Without a proper transfer fund the new guy is as dead as the current manager.

Disagree strongly.

The manager's job is to:

Conduct transfers

Supervise and direct coaching

Decide on tactics

Motivate the players

Seeing as we failed to score from one single set-piece this season, and conceded plenty, I think it's safe to say he has been a failure at the second (if you didn't think the football was dismal enough).

Winning seven games out of 38 suggests a lack of match-winning tactics, even if you didn't watch what was happening.

And I don't think there would be many who would argue that the Villa players have been highly motivated this season.

As far as transfers go there are plenty of clubs who have bought better players than we have for less money than we spent on, say, N'Zogbia.

Newcastle, Swansea, Norwich to name three. But in any case if you coach and motivate players and are tactically smart you shouldn't need to spend zillions.

Agree 100 percent!!

Money is a short cut to success, but is not the only path.

There is now a second window of opportunity for us in the same way as before the start of this season.

Hughes and my preference Jol were available on a free so to speak and our chairman messed up badly by ignoring those two.

If, as we are led to believe that McLeish's tenure at our club is coming to an abrupt end before the end of this week then it is again perfect timing to get a new manager in as there are several available who with the right financial backing could get us back on track again. We all know the names now so no use in repeating them.

We must not however take an age to target the right person and then get him in as there is so much to do. There are also several very decent players available on free transfers who we should be interested in and indeed several players in our squad who should never wear the Villa shirt again.

Lerner would regain a lot of respect if he was to act quickly. My only concern is that it is one thing to act quickly but quite another to back that decision up with the finance needed to turn our great club around.

We shall see?

Don't think anything will happen today, its all a bit kneejerk for Lerner. I imagine he would want someone ready to jump their own particular ship, or in the frame at least, before he dispenses with the services of HIM.

On the other hand, theres a distinct possibility this has been in hand for a couple of weeks now, so you never know.

Time to get down on your knees and..........PRAY!!

whoever the next guy is we need to stick with him. Changing managers all of the time is getting us nowhere and its doing my head in.

Its ok saying that but if the new guy sets us up to lose every week without any sign of things improving then the fans will be on his back too. New guy needs to at least show glimpses of what he is trying to do (imo What Houllier was doing).

I doubt any other manager in football will do that. Even if they do i will give them a couple of seasons to get their own team together.

We have to stop with wanting every manager out the first time things go wrong.

But mcleish has no saving graces at all, so he has to go.

But mcleish has no saving graces at all, so he has to go

What if we hire Steve Bruce or Mick McCarthy and they serve up the same? You going to give them time? Even if we look like being relegated?

For crying out loud PULL THE GODDAM TRIGGER NOW RANDY! I had almost given up on football for the forseeable future, but it seems there might be a light at the end of the tunnel after all!

This is probably one to ask of the mods, but, has there ever been a topic in the history of VT where every single fan wants the same thing and has the same opinion? Its Insania!

No matter what our differences are, no matter what kind of football we'd like us playing, or which players we each like or hate, or how many of us can understand a few of McLeish's less questionable decisions.... we all come together, united, in our time of need!

Villa fans... UNITE!

Â