The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Its good to see the pro McLeish clique being self congratulating and dismissing those "who refuse to see positives".

We have played nobody of note, nobody. We have played petty dull football and often have conceded the initiative either from the outset of games, or worse still, like against Wigan and QPR when we retreated into a "one up front hang onto what we have got" formation for the last 15 minutes despite being on top! We have changed formations pretty regularly, a diamond being used against Wigan, so I think we can safely say that after 3 or 4 months in charge, McLeish still doesnt know our best formation.

Throwing 6 attackers onto a pitch does not constitute an attacking formation. Use your players properly and train them with a system and you can take an offensive stance without just throwing anyone who has scored a goal on. This argument seems to be the response of McLeishs staff when pressed on being a defensive unit. In fact this week, they were waxing lyrical on how effective Heskey has been at centre half in training. That made my blood chill, what the hell is he doing there!!

McLeish is what he is, tactically limited, defensive minded and I pray only a stop gap for a maximum of 12 months. You think we will move forward under this guy, I dont think so. I am glad the players like him, but he is not being paid to be popular, he is being paid to develop the football club and achieve success.

I think the difference between you and I is that i couldnt give a shit what brand of football we play as long as we get results.

Nothing like giving him a chance. You said yourself he still doesnt know his best formation, yet your condemning him already.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each to their own pal.

I agree we are not playing expansive free-flowing football but we are certainly not being negative.

I agree the service to Bent has decreased as we expected with the sales of Young and Downing, but he is still getting chances every game.

fair enough. Like I said I don't think McLeish is setting out to play an overly negative style it just seems like it at times and Bent is getting 1-2 chances per game but I just don't want to buy into this whole 'everything's rosey' attitude. What I mean is that you must admit that, despite results, we have played some of the worst football for many years so far this season (qpr second half and wigan not withstanding) and have been very lucky to pick up points against weak opposition.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a McLeish hater nor by any stretch of the imagination am I fully in support of him. When he was appointed I thought I'd just give him the time and see where he takes us. I really believe this season is as much a learning curve for him as it it for the club itself and after 8 games we've had a mixed bag of some bad football and some very good football so I'm not going to judge just yet. All I can hope for is that we continue to play as we have done for the last game and a half.

We're Probably unlucky with the fact that we face City next and can expect our first defeat but I for one will not condemn McLeish for that.

I love the merged thread title by the way, though surely "The Eck Files" would have been better? Picture the scene:

Barry's Boots cuts a lonely figure in a darkened room, throwing darts at a poster of Alex McLeish with the words "I don't want to believe" scrawled beneath. Though his investigative skills are undeniable, BB has been scarred by his past; tormented by a childhood incident when Alex McLeish abducted his gerbil. But the brass at Villa Park won't listen. BB believes they're involved in a conspiracy to cover up the truth, and is determined to bring justice to those responsible.

Randy Lerner, however, has a plan. He converses with a shadowy figure in the corner of his office, known only as "The General". "The General" suggests they need someone on the inside, someone who BB can place his trust in and who seemingly shares the same pessimistic outlook, but in truth can report back to them and ultimately hamper BB's crusade. Randy agrees, and picks up his phone... "Get me Richard".

I agree we are not playing expansive free-flowing football but we are certainly not being negative.

I cant remember the last time we played free flowing football and its been like that for years. Even when we had the likes of Young, Downing and Milner we only saw flashes of it. To blame this on McCleish is pretty pathetic to be honest. Hes doing the best he can with the tools hes got.

Some people need a reality check. We're pretty average at the moment but thats nowt to do with McCleish. There are loads of average teams knocking around and were one of them. There are only a handfull of top class teams and they are invariably the ones with most money. Maybe if MoN had invested Randys money better we could be a bit closer to being a team that plays pretty football and has world class players. Unfortunately he didnt and now we are rebuilding. Its gonna take time but hopefully with a bit of continuity and smart investment in playing staff we can get there.

By the way, we are unbeaten this season and in a decent position in the league. Cant we just be content with that for the time being? Were not doing too badly

A squad who have lost Young and Downing and experienced a disrupted and at times farcical management line last year are going to take some time to settle down to playing effective football.

Anyone who doesn't understand or accept that that is in for a bad time this season and may be better off not watching for a while.

Think people should cut McLeish a bit of slack as he is doing a very difficult job and hasn't done so badly so far - could have been a bit better but who can't say that about themselves?

EDIT

BTW, I am beginning to think the only reason for ploughing through some of the nonsense we are getting about McLeish & Villa in general on the site at the moment is the chance of coming across yet another gem from GarethRDR. Another one just above, I see.

Thank you, and for God's sake keep them coming. :lol:

I'm sorry but can villa do anything right?? Last season people complain we are letting too many goals in and this season because we aren't scoring enough!!

To the people who say we haven't played anyone good yet, are you telling me if we beat man u, man city, chelsea and spurs but lost to norwich, swansea, blackburn and sunderland you would e happy?? Every point counts.

I've been happy with mcleish because our defense is strong. Bent has missed his chances but I'm putting that down to injury. The team seem so much happier this season, players actually want to sign new contracts.

As long as we do better than we did last season at man city (losing 4-0) I'm going to take it as a step forward

and Bent has missed more sitters this season than he ever has. If he was putting them away then people wouldn't be moaning as much.

Exactly :thumb:

That and the fact that our other strikers have been in the scoring position that Bent normally is in. Can't remember which game it was when Heskey was served twice for very good opportunities to score. As it was Heskey he missed, of course, but the thing is that Bent normally is the one who's in that position. I simply think that Bent's been a bit out of form. Now that he's scored against Wigan and then for England maybe he'll be back at his best.

But yes, we've struggled to dreate good chances. We've played quite well on the pitch from time to time, but in that famous last third we've struggled. But I think it's gone better and better. We're still only 7 games in to the season. Still much to hope for. But I don't have much hope for tomorrow.

Some people need a reality check. We're pretty average at the moment but thats nowt to do with McCleish.

How can you be the manager of something yet not responsible? So why are we paying him 2m a year? How come Pardew is doing a better job with a worse squad, playing good football? We even got outplayed by Wigan in a footballing sense. The fact their whole team cost 9.75 doesnt help their case.

The question is, is McLeish getting the maximum out of this squad? To me, no way.

Our two wins out of an easy start, Blackburn and Wigan who sit 19th and 18th in the premier league respectively. I said after the Wigan game that one swallow does not make a summer and people should not go over the top based on that win. Seem some have but I am sure reality will hit after Saturday, although I fancy Given to have an absolute blinder!

Why do people think Man City is THE test for us? practically everyone that's played them and United this season has been comfortably beaten by them. Even Spurs, beaten by 4 goals at home by one, and 3 goals away by the other! The "tests" are against the like fo Everton and Newcastle. Teams generally "our level".

Some people need a reality check. We're pretty average at the moment but thats nowt to do with McCleish.

How can you be the manager of something yet not responsible? So why are we paying him 2m a year? How come Pardew is doing a better job with a worse squad, playing good football? We even got outplayed by Wigan in a footballing sense. The fact their whole team cost 9.75 doesnt help their case.

The question is, is McLeish getting the maximum out of this squad? To me, no way.

Our two wins out of an easy start, Blackburn and Wigan who sit 19th and 18th in the premier league respectively. I said after the Wigan game that one swallow does not make a summer and people should not go over the top based on that win. Seem some have but I am sure reality will hit after Saturday, although I fancy Given to have an absolute blinder!

Pardew is doing excellently, but I think it's a little harsh to criticise McLeish because he's not outperforming the form team of the seaon so far (from our pool of clubs). Newcastle will find their level, and if we carry on in the same manner of continuous, gradual improvement, then we'll be just fine.

Pardew is doing excellently, but I think it's a little harsh to criticise McLeish because he's not outperforming the form team of the seaon so far (from our pool of clubs). Newcastle will find their level, and if we carry on in the same manner of continuous, gradual improvement, then we'll be just fine.

I would agree about that.

Why do people think Man City is THE test for us? practically everyone that's played them and United this season has been comfortably beaten by them. Even Spurs, beaten by 4 goals at home by one, and 3 goals away by the other! The "tests" are against the like fo Everton and Newcastle. Teams generally "our level".
Yes I'd add Stoke , Fulham and Blunderland in as clubs at our level being the test

If we get anything at all from any of Manure, citeh, chelsea, plop, arsenal, spurtz it has to be a bonus

Yes I'd add Stoke , Fulham and Blunderland in as clubs at our level being the test

If we get anything at all from any of Manure, citeh, chelsea, plop, arsenal, spurtz it has to be a bonus

Well exactly. I expect "spirited draws/defeats" at home and "defeats" away, though the way Arse are playing I expect convinving wins. ;)

Making things up again, are we? We weren't even close to being outplayed by Wigan. We won very comfortably, and thought they weren't any good and probably will get relegated this season it was still adecent win.

And I agree with those who don't think city will be the big test. If we win, great, but we'll still not look at ourselves as title contenders. A draw and we've done it very good, but it would still be surprise. Lose and things are as expected. I only hope for us to give our all and just not let them run away with 4 or 5 or more.

How can you be the manager of something yet not responsible?

...because hes been here 5 minutes and we lost 2 of our best players in the summer. What do people expect?! Actually...what is he even responsible for?!?! because im struggling here, help me out. And before you go on about the negative tactics blah blah blah we were playing like that a LONG time before McCleish was manager. I said it earlier....weve played shit football for years now - even when we had the likes of Young Milner and Downing we only saw good football in flashes - to suddenly place all of that on McCleishs' doorstep is just ridiculous.

Is McLeish on the pitch? No

Did you watch the QPR game? If so, surely you notice McLeish giving out rollocking left, right and centre because the team were not doing as instructed.

Newcastle flying high? The sun even shines on a dog's ass some days.

Did you expect anything other than a loss at Man City? If you did then your deluded.

You do know we are still undefeated?

I dont believe there are any easy games in the league.

For me, you dislike McLeish for whatever reason and are using the smallest of things to jump on his back.

I'm sorry but can villa do anything right?? Last season people complain we are letting too many goals in and this season because we aren't scoring enough!!

To the people who say we haven't played anyone good yet, are you telling me if we beat man u, man city, chelsea and spurs but lost to norwich, swansea, blackburn and sunderland you would e happy?? Every point counts.

I've been happy with mcleish because our defense is strong. Bent has missed his chances but I'm putting that down to injury. The team seem so much happier this season, players actually want to sign new contracts.

As long as we do better than we did last season at man city (losing 4-0) I'm going to take it as a step forward

You should post more often.

I much prefer watching us this season because I don't have that same anxiety that we are going to concede at any minute and from any set piece which was a feature of our team last year.

It was horrible watching us outplay the likes of Bolton only to lose to a couple of cheap goals from corners.

I don't even know why there's still a debate on this.

Some people don't like him and probably never will cos he managed Blues, others dislike him cos of the bandwagon that's subsequently been built up by the aforementioned people (who don't like him cos he managed the blues) who are hell bent on trying to convince everyone else that they also should not give him a chance.

If these people had their way no-one would be at Villa Park on a matchday and the club would cease to exist pretty quickly so why don't we just ignore them, surely it's easier than debating with them?

The way I see it we look pretty solid and over the last 135 minutes of football we've started to play some decent stuff (which i expect to firmly end tomorrow unfortunately). We have a new manager with new ideas, if what we've seen over the past 1.5 games equates to something nearer to AMc's masterplan then I am happy.

Â