Rugby World Cup 2011

Jezza

Cannot wait for Ireland v Wales! Both teams looking awesome so far. I'm hoping they smash the living shit out of each other though and that the winner has at least five or six players ruled out for the semi IF (and it's a very big one) we should get past France.

England once again looking dopey and lacking anything approaching a competitive level of urgency, aggression and fluidity. Wilkinson's defence against the Scots was top notch I thought, despite a poor kicking display. Just putting this out there though - Ben Youngs is actually shit?

Surprise, surprise Delon Armitage cited and suspended for a tackle no worse than we've seen a hundred times this world cup. It seems the irrational hatred of England is counting against us off the pitch as well!

Id take that as a positive. Armitage is not cut out at this level. Cueto and Ashton are Englands finishers. Go with them - the ball never seems to go wide often with England so you need someone there who'll do something with it when it does, not die with the ball.

Not sure you've been watching our games mate (not that I blame you!) - Armitage has been easily one of our best players so far!

Cannot wait for Ireland v Wales! Both teams looking awesome so far. I'm hoping they smash the living shit out of each other though and that the winner has at least five or six players ruled out for the semi IF (and it's a very big one) we should get past France.

England once again looking dopey and lacking anything approaching a competitive level of urgency, aggression and fluidity. Wilkinson's defence against the Scots was top notch I thought, despite a poor kicking display. Just putting this out there though - Ben Youngs is actually shit?

Surprise, surprise Delon Armitage cited and suspended for a tackle no worse than we've seen a hundred times this world cup. It seems the irrational hatred of England is counting against us off the pitch as well!

Id take that as a positive. Armitage is not cut out at this level. Cueto and Ashton are Englands finishers. Go with them - the ball never seems to go wide often with England so you need someone there who'll do something with it when it does, not die with the ball.

Not sure you've been watching our games mate (not that I blame you!) - Armitage has been easily one of our best players so far!

Ive watched all but 1 of Englands games and he's wasted opportunities in them all - one moment in particular stands out - cant remember who against but he stayed about 30 yards out on the touchline after Foden had broke, forcing a ridiculous pass for him to throw.

That for me was enough to see on him, dont forget now hes a good player, but is he a top class winger in the same category as those now playing in the quarter finals...?

My opinion is of all the remaining nations, he wouldnt start for any of the others...

Not Jonny Wilkinson on current form!

Would go with whoever Ireland name at 10 vs Wales.

I am really, really looking forward to Wales-Ireland on Saturday - hopefully both sides at full whack, what a game it will be - Roberts v O'Driscoll, Shane and North vs Earls and Bowe and probably the biggest point will be at the face - whoever wins that front 5 battle will win this game.

My heart is telling me Wales - but its going to be very, very close. I just can't see how Ireland will stop Wales going forward with Roberts, Falatau and North breaking tackles at will so far this tournament and how good Wales' scrum is - the weakness for us is our lineout - about time the 6'10 charteris woke up a bit!

What a game its going to be though - I expect that game will produce this half's finalist. England are too static to beat either side and France are in complete disarray.

Dont discount the dirty Bokke from making the final either. Everything seems to be falling into place for them.

Ah now, the Ireland scum wasnt looking too bad against Italy! im very much enjoying watching our 3 beast-like back row. Its crazy that i think our no8, heaslip (6ft4 & ^17st) is the least animal in the back row.

anyway should be a great game and if you beat us i hope you go on to win the thing (or at least knock out england if you meet them)

Not Jonny Wilkinson on current form!

Would go with whoever Ireland name at 10 vs Wales.

I am really, really looking forward to Wales-Ireland on Saturday - hopefully both sides at full whack, what a game it will be - Roberts v O'Driscoll, Shane and North vs Earls and Bowe and probably the biggest point will be at the face - whoever wins that front 5 battle will win this game.

My heart is telling me Wales - but its going to be very, very close. I just can't see how Ireland will stop Wales going forward with Roberts, Falatau and North breaking tackles at will so far this tournament and how good Wales' scrum is - the weakness for us is our lineout - about time the 6'10 charteris woke up a bit!

What a game its going to be though - I expect that game will produce this half's finalist. England are too static to beat either side and France are in complete disarray.

Dont discount the dirty Bokke from making the final either. Everything seems to be falling into place for them.

Ah now, the Ireland scum wasnt looking too bad against Italy! im very much enjoying watching our 3 beast-like back row. Its crazy that i think our no8, heaslip (6ft4 & ^17st) is the least animal in the back row.

anyway should be a great game and if you beat us i hope you go on to win the thing (or at least knock out england if you meet them)

Agreed, once they lost Castrogiovanni (spelling error robo style) yes, it fell apart - but Wales do have 3 very very good scrummaging props in Gethin Jenkins, Paul James and hairbear Adam Jones - in fact had Matthew Rees been fit we'd have the Lions front 3 packing down here - the scrum is probably our best weapon in fact.

I look forward to the battle of backrows, O'B for me is a world class 6. However, he's not a 7 - and could that give Sam the edge? (thats my hope!)

What a game its going to be though - I reckon the best of the tournament potentially as two very very strong sides, on form, facing up.

Armitage's challenge was perfectly worthy of a citing IMO, he smashed into Paterson late, and high. I don't think Armitage has been that impressive actually. Cueto and Ashton is a better wing pairing.

Couldn't disagree more about the citing. It was a unavoidable collision with no malice involved whatsoever. Armitage may have made a few minor mistakes (don't forget he's a makeshift winger) but has been more than solid. A few great takes from the high ball spring to mind, and he makes ground with the ball in hand more often than not. I'd say he's been in our top 3 or 4 performers so far. Not difficult though I know :). Obviously wouldn't get in Ireland or Wales's side though.

He's what he is - a stop gap option.

I think Englands discipline on-and-off the field has been a cause for concern for them and as a result citings happen. There isn't the 'get him done cos hes English' attitude going on though - but if you do stupid things in high profile games you're going to get done.

They're letting themselves down though - surprised the French have announced so early and made so few changes from the Tonga defeat?!

Yep, by and large our players have been an embarrassment. The whole "need to let their hair down" thing doesn't seem to have taken into account a requirement for total professionalism in what should be the pinnacle of four years work. It's interesting to contrast our approach with that of one of the players of the tournament, Sam Warburton, who hasn't had a drink since the 6N in an effort to be in the best shape possible and focus on WC prep.

Also, who's looking after Manu Tuilagi?! He's a cracking player and someone who at least looks like he gives a shit but reading about his gumshield fine he's saying how he coloured one in with a marker pen... I wouldn't have thought having highly toxic marker pen ink in your mouth is the best idea...

I Flood plays, I think we will beat the Cheese easting surrendur monkeys.

If Sargeant Wilko plays, I think we could be in trouble.

Johnson will pick Wilko IMO, in the mistasken belief he will, or even can, produce his 2003 form.

People forget that Wilkinson is terrific in defence.

When you look back at the Scotland try chance, it was Wilkinson who was there to make the try saving tackle (had the Scot not knocked on).

Difficult to call Wales v Ireland. I think that Wales will get more kickable scrum penalties which makes them favourites in my eyes.

Eliota_Fuimaono-Sapolu is the biggest word removed in history of sport. He should really be banned for all his comments.

1st he compared playing a game with only 3 days rest as comparable to Holocaust, slavery and apartheid. Now he accused Nigel Owens of being a racist

Well, it's now getting interesting, isn't it?

I can't choose between Wales and Ireland. I think Wales are better when they get the ball in hand, and with North coming off his wing we would do well to stop that. However, I think Ireland edge it in the back row, whilst the front 5 are even enough. Wales do have a very good back row too, but Irelands have the experience of winning big games in Heinekeen cup etc. I suspect it'll be a game of territory and forcing mistakes, rather than 'you attack, we attack', in which case Irelands experience of strangling opposition may just hold them in good stead. Although, as is often the case, it depends on the weather and who both teams pick at 10. Far too close to call, should be a cracker, and to be honest, I wouldn't be too pissed with Wales if they do go on and do well.

England v France...who knows? Both teams have yet to properly turn up. England should play Flood and run at the french, don't give them time to organise and find shape, and keep away from their forwards who will be up for the game no matter what is going in within the camp. I expect England to win and win well, and I expect them to do very well in the tournament, simply because they play cup rugby better than anyone bar the South Africans.

South Africa v Australia. Hm, Aussies are dropping like flies at the minute, although they are still very, very dangerous. I think South Africa have played much better rugby this tournament than I've seen them play before, far more expansive and a lot less kicking, albeit they should've lost to Wales. I think South Africa should win, because like England they are just huge up front, but unlike England they have a very, very consistent kicker.

New Zealand v Argentina. New Zealand to win, quite comfortably. Even without Dan Carter, they still have a squad of incredibly talented players. However, the lack of a real 'test' so far in the tournament could be their undoing.

Saying all that, I could be completely off the mark, which is the beauty of the tournament.

With England v France I think it depends which England turns up. If it's the one that plays an expansive, exciting game, such as we saw against the Aussies last autumn or Romania a couple of weeks ago, I think we'll win. If it's the play-it-safe dross we've seen more often than not, we're out. I think you can tell which it is within the first 5 minutes of a game.

I would start with Jonny at 10, primarily for his awesome defence, but only if Flood is in at 12 as an additional kicking option to take a bit of pressure off Wilko. And because Tindall is rubbish.

With England v France I think it depends which England turns up. If it's the one that plays an expansive, exciting game, such as we saw against the Aussies last autumn or Romania a couple of weeks ago, I think we'll win. If it's the play-it-safe dross we've seen more often than not, we're out. I think you can tell which it is within the first 5 minutes of a game.

I would start with Jonny at 10, primarily for his awesome defence, but only if Flood is in at 12 as an additional kicking option to take a bit of pressure off Wilko. And because Tindall is rubbish.

England turn up and play expansive against France or any of their semi final opponents they'll be beaten by half time.

England now must stick to what theyre good at - keep it tight, control and kill off the game.

With respect, I think you're wrong. All bar none of England's best performances/victories over the last few years have been when we've departed from the garbage people usually associate with us.

Wilko/Tindall are both injury doubts apparently.

As for Englands expansive game, they were doing fine until Ireland did them at the end of the 6N, then they went back into their forward orientated shell.

Too much dwelling on that result, really, as it was less about Englands expansive game but more about Irelands dominance at the breakdown, and you can have that and good backs as NZ and SA prove. No reason why England can't either, considering the resources they have at their disposal.

Absolutely right mate. Once England compete with the same urgency, aggression and nous at the breakdown as the top teams (and I include Wales and Ireland in that) then we can hope for a bit more from them. It would also help if we didn't have a scrum half who passed it anywhere but the receiver's hands!

Eliota_Fuimaono-Sapolu is the biggest word removed in history of sport. He should really be banned for all his comments.

1st he compared playing a game with only 3 days rest as comparable to Holocaust, slavery and apartheid. Now he accused Nigel Owens of being a racist

Well he has been banned for not turning up to the hearing.

I would question why Nigal Owens was allowed to ref a match which had a direct impact on Wales going through.

I would question why Nigal Owens was allowed to ref a match which had a direct impact on Wales going through.

thats true but if he called him biased be fair enough but racist is crossng teh boundaries

Â