Rugby World Cup 2011

Jezza

It hinges on the France/New Zealand match I think.

France will probably rotate like no other to lose and avoid that half of the draw, (England will do them, I reckon, so I don't see why they don't go for the win and take a chance against Argies/Scotland then anything can happen in the Semis) but if they turn up and beat New Zealand, or of NZ play poor/don't get the nerves out fo their system, then the WC is wide open.

I still have my doubts about NZ's ability to play big games when they can't cheat as much as they do under the ref's scrutiny at the breakdown.

(everyone cheats, but NZ and McCaw are the best at it, without that advantage at the breakdown they do struggle against better forwards)

Fair play Wales, maybe a bit lucky but superior conditioning was telling and they ground out a win. Samoa were the better side and deserved to win. If only Paul Williams had not missed a couple of easyish kicks and they'd had a bit more composure near the line.

Agreed. It's not as if the things we're ballsing up aren't straightforward either, which is the worry. Ashton clutching his arm at the end - hope it's nothing serious otherwise we're stuck with the bloody useless lump Banahan on the wing. I'm not sure how Johnno thought it was a good idea to go to a WC with only 2 out and out wings. Oh well. Call up Strettle or Sharples as Sheridan's replacement I reckon.

On the plus side, we chucked the ball around with some purpose and ambition at times.

Scotland will not roll over for England, and if England go into that thinking they will then that will be their undoing. Expect a low-scoring physical battle.

Englands discipline has been piss poor for a while, it'll be their undoing against teams with a better kicker.

The thing is' it's so consistently stupid, and you have to think that they are either a complete bunch of idiots unable to listen to a referee, who tells them more often than not if they are about to infringe (no hands, offside etc), or they do it deliberately.

Their attack was impressive enough, but really, they will be destroyed if they keep such a high penalty count against a better team.

Wales played much better towards the end, but Samoa were better for most of the game. Why doesn't Halfpenny start by the way? He's much better than North.

but really, they will be destroyed if they keep such a high penalty count against a better team.

Exactly, even Soctland could give us a difficult time if they don't sort it out.

As for attack, they broke down Georgia in the end with superior fitness not by guile or particularly good movement going forward (or more accurately, sideways). A good kicker would have taken 18 points + off us today and there is no way we'd break down a better defence very easily.

Can't see us going far in this tournament unless things change dramatically in the next two games.

How good were Canada earlier. Referee wasn't very good, gave a penalty away when the Canadian 15 and Clerc (14) collided and Clerc went barrelling over the ad hoardings! :lol: France superior in the end.

The likes of Georgia, Russia and Romania are testament to this. I'm surprised Germany haven't ever tried to assemble a decent side.

Gridiron got bigger faster in Germany. ;)

There's something of a race in Eastern and Central Europe between rugby and gridiron to be established as the main carrying-allowed/middle-class football code.

How good were Canada earlier. Referee wasn't very good, gave a penalty away when the Canadian 15 and Clerc (14) collided and Clerc went barrelling over the ad hoardings! :lol: France superior in the end.

Thought the Canadians were terrific, actually. It seems that the so-called 'stronger nations' have been surprised by the physicality, talent and sheer guts of the supposed 'minnows' - and that is great.

I reckon that the only top ranked sides to really have shown their hand have been the Saffers and All Blacks, even though both have not overly convinced (SA v Wales especially).

Also thought that the Canadians lumberjack beards on the forwards were tremendous!

England really need to get their act together, otehrwise they will be going home early. Very early.

James Haskell talking about the need to name and shame the guys who are letting the side down. However much I agree with his points, I'm not sure it was the best idea to air this in public. Any ideas who in particular he could be talking about?

Â