Ratings and Reactions: Braga 1-1 villa

limpid

Average.

If heskey is going to play on the wing this season were in trouble no way can he keep that level of performance up for a prolonged run of matches fair play to him tho he played well

Where are our goals going to come from should our key players get injured squad depth is woeful no way is Albrighton a replacement for young or downing

Square pegs in round holes all the time

My concerns are, where are the goals coming from if Bent doesn't play? Zog did well enough, Heskey played well, worked hard but can't we find someone better for that role? We defended well enough as a back four but need a holding player in front of them. 4-3-3? Not for me, with those players in the side. Lots os positives, some things to work on too. We need another couple of players in.

We have too many weak spots at the moment. Feel that we need two more signings.

Based on the three matches I have seen (Blackburn, Chelsea and Braga), I think we should start this lineup against Fulham:

Given

Young, Collins, Clark, Warnock

Agbonlahor, Petrov, Makoun, N'Zogbia

Heskey

Bent

Mixed bag really. Decent performance in spells. Positives were Makoun, Nzogbia and Ireland when he came on. I thought Warnock was decent too as he has been all pre season.

Average.

If heskey is going to play on the wing this season were in trouble no way can he keep that level of performance up for a prolonged run of matches fair play to him tho he played well

Where are our goals going to come from should our key players get injured squad depth is woeful no way is Albrighton a replacement for young or downing

Square pegs in round holes all the time

Where are any teams going to find goals from if their key players get injured? Everyone else outside the top 4/5 is in the same boat.

How do you know Albrighton won't be a good replacement? One pre-season doesn't make a season.

I agree that the squad depth is woeful but there are teams equal to us who have the same issues. We'll just have to get on with it I'm afraid.

+

Passed it well, possession wise.

Makoun as a deep lying playmaker was excellent, barely gave the ball away and played some defence splitting balls at times.

Ireland looked bothered and actually threatening when he came on.

Heskey worked hard and defended well. Can't fault his performance but he shouldn't be played LW.

N'Zogbia had an excellent first game.

Defended set pieces well enough again.

-

Heskey and Gabby out of position and got in each others way too much.

Petrov looked way of the pace again :(

Fullbacks seemed exposed, maybe due to lack of midfield protection.

Despite the good football we weren't getting in threatening positions enough.

Looking forward to Fulham, will be totally different playing in a competitive game I'm sure but there are a few things we need to work on. The key problem being centre midfield. I'm not going to blame Makoun for this as he had a specific role and he did it pretty well, but he needs an effective partner and Petrov seems out of form right now.

Hopefully we'll see Stan back to his best next week!

positives makoun, nzogbia, some decent passing towards end, ireland working hard, clark is decent cover

negatives- midfield dont support attack and create chances, petrov quite poor, dunne looking shakey, big one is lack of shots

Could have been better, could have been a lot worse. Decent game, and despite the relatively few chances we created in the second half, I'm left feeling quite optimistic after today's game. Being honest I thought a good Braga side would beat us today.

Positive from N'Zogbia and a very good cameo by Ireland. Looked sharp with his touches and worked hard.

N'Zogbia and Makoun our best players on the day.

Thought we did alright against what is a pretty good team.

Heskey is good at holding up the ball, I think he would be a better option further forward and central and allowing our attacking players to play around him. Heskey did play well today on the wing though.

Hmm I thought we were poor. We failed to keep possession for decent spells, defence looked a bit creaky (Dunne) and Heskey/Gabby out wide just don't cut it for me. I have to confess I only watched the second half though.

I honestly dont know what our strongest team is and I dont think AM does. I think its testament to our Summer transfer window that we just played Bent as an out and out striker on his own yet we had 3 strikers on the pitch.

Central midfield and Central defence worry me. Our two captains today were Dunne and Petrov who I personally feel shouldnt even be in the team. I dont know what other people think on this.

I would personally play the following vs Fulham:

----------------Bent------------------

Gabby-------Ireland--------N'Zogbia

----------Makoun--Delph-----------

Warnock---Collins--Clark----Young

----------------Given-----------------

I genuinely dont know if this is our best team though. FWIW I think Heskey has done well pre season but I wouldnt know where to play him.

God knows,

Worrying.

Â