Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I like his broad vision and passing execution skill, good movement and seems he does not run blindly like headless chicken as Marc tends to do. This attribute is very rare in his age and the main reason he is possible to arrive into the area at the right time. These are my first impressions after his full senior debut.

Keep the good work young Gardner, may the force be with you.

yeah where is sir gary cahill to tell us that Gary Gardener is over rated and doesn't deserve to start and how Stefan Moore should have had the same success as Messi.

i can't remember seeing a young midfielder look so classy and composed in years, Gardener looks the real deal already and ok he has a lot to learn and lots of experience to gain at this level but for once the hype at least seems justified to some degree.

it might sound harsh but it is a fair point. Van Persie can miss an easy one but he's got more than enough brownie points stacked up in his favour for it to not matter (in terms of whetehr his place would be questioned) and of course he scored later (van Persie).

Anyway, the original point is valid. I though Gardner had a good game and was very promising and looked confident - but the chance should have been tucked away. I disagree with it being teh difference between him being dropped or not as I think he will be kept in simply because his confidence levels will be sky high - remeber the 30 yard free-kick? to have the balls to want it and actually take it takes some doing for a kid just coming in.

but, he simply has to score those easy ones - or he'll never be anything other than the Noel Whelan standard.

mental! instead of being encouraged by the fact he has the nouse to get there from midfield to be in the position to score on his debut. he shoudl be dropped as he missed a sitter? he's not a striker ffs, he is paid to play in midfield. where he had a cracking game covering 2 positions through the 90 minutes. he looks composed, he can pass and has vision and good movement off the ball. all qualities that should keep him in the side as a MIDFIELDER. if he was a striker and missed a couple like that in 90 minutes you might have a point. he's not though, and he's a kid who needs his confidence building, not destroying by giving him flak for missing a header a few mins into a good debut.

This is gonna sounds really harsh but he needs to take chances like the free header in the first few minutes. I know hes young but if you are going to break through at that age you have to be able to shoulder the responsibility. Missing a chance like this might be the difference in starting the next game or Ireland being brought back into the team.

That statement and mentality is probably why he should not start at Villa Park. People on his back as soon as he does an error.

In the very little I have seen, I am yet to see anything to get really excited about. I have no doubt we have a regular 1st teamer there and 1 who could be very good. But he looks no more composed than Gareth Barry did tbh, and while Barry is a very good player, you wont win much with him as your best player.

In the very little I have seen, I am yet to see anything to get really excited about. I have no doubt we have a regular 1st teamer there and 1 who could be very good. But he looks no more composed than Gareth Barry did tbh, and while Barry is a very good player, you wont win much with him as your best player.

Not sure what people expect, a blistering over head kick goal on his full debut? I am not saying he is international class yet and maybe never will be, but look at Milner? He was a headless chicken with a poor first touch and close control in his first spell with us, and was still a bit iffy in his second spell but gave 100% and we loved him for it as he had a great shot on him and great energy and tacking. English international players are so overated yet we all have this romanticised view of how good the likes of Young, Milner, Barry and Downing were. Out of all of them Barry earned his chops, Young was incredibly frustrating, he was never bad, often average and occasionally brilliant.

Not sure what my point is...... erm oh yeah basically as fans all we do is criticise and run players down and this thread about Gardener as well as the ones about Ireland and Albrighton are a case in point.

I REALLY HOPE NO PLAYERS READ THIS FORUM AS THEY WOULD NOT WANT TO STAY AN PLAY FOR SUCH A MOANING NEGATIVE SET OF FANS, AND YES THAT INCLUDES ME AS I AM GUILTY AS ANYONE OF THIS, BUT I AM FED UP OF BEING THIS WAY.

I thought he did very well. Was very composed, put in a good shift, could pick a pass. Didn't look out of place alongside Petrov. Wasn't out-muscled and got into some great positions. Having the confidence to take a set piece was another sign of his confidence and of the team's confidence in him.

The header would've been a dream opening minute but that'll happen.

All in all, a very very promising debut. I look forward to him being used more and more. He's only going to get better.

I thought he did very well. Was very composed, put in a good shift, could pick a pass. Didn't look out of place alongside Petrov. Wasn't out-muscled and got into some great positions. Having the confidence to take a set piece was another sign of his confidence and of the team's confidence in him.

The header would've been a dream opening minute but that'll happen.

All in all, a very very promising debut. I look forward to him being used more and more. He's only going to get better.

That's about the size of it for me too.

I think the handling of Gardner this season has been done to great effect. Bring him into the squad, then send him out for a short loan to acclimatise him to first team football (whilst the club was in a particularly daunting run of fixtures - he wouldn't be demoralised in this period) then, bringing him on as a sub and giving him his debut has all worked particularly well imo.

My worry is that because he got in due to various injuries to other players, he'll be out just as quick. The clock is then ticking. How long does he like sitting on the bench after getting a taste.

Going back to my impressions of his debut. What I think also worked particularly well was the fact he & Petrov were very similar all-action midfielders. They were both able to get forward and able to defend, but neither was expected to do one of those roles over and above the other. Both players were intelligent enough to cover for the other. I think this works better than having a dedicated anchor and a dedicated support man because it gives the team more flexibility and makes them much less prone to being caught out of position at any given time. In short, I think he added a balance to our central midfield alongside Petrov that arguably no-one else in the squad could do.

I dont think he did. Who is ahead of him in center mid? We use three in the middle. Ireland plays in a different position to him. Hes against Petrov, Delph, Clark, Herd. Delph being sent out on loan shows that they think he can do better than him.

He has a chance now anyway and I dont expect him to be dropped for the next game, unless he gets injured if he can play like he did against Wolves all season its his spot.

What I think also worked particularly well was the fact he & Petrov were very similar all-action midfielders. They were both able to get forward and able to defend, but neither was expected to do one of those roles over and above the other. Both players were intelligent enough to cover for the other. I think this works better than having a dedicated anchor and a dedicated support man because it gives the team more flexibility and makes them much less prone to being caught out of position at any given time

This.

I´m also in the two box-to-box midfielders camp, rather that than one defensive mid and one attacking mid. And as BOF said they are both intelligent enough.

I dont think he did. Who is ahead of him in center mid? We use three in the middle. Ireland plays in a different position to him. Hes against Petrov, Delph, Clark, Herd. Delph being sent out on loan shows that they think he can do better than him.

He has a chance now anyway and I dont expect him to be dropped for the next game, unless he gets injured if he can play like he did against Wolves all season its his spot.

I hope you're right because I too want him to stay in. He's obviously against any and all central midfielders including the likes of Bannan too. He is probably lower in the pecking order than any of them. He got his debut mainly because of injury and partly because of the clamour for him to get his debut IMO. Herd would go in ahead of him at the mo' if he came back and we'd revert to a dedicated defensive mid. I don't want that to happen. For me, I'd keep Gardner and Petrov in the centre and then put whatever you want around that.

I hope you're right because I too want him to stay in. He's obviously against any and all central midfielders including the likes of Bannan too. He is probably lower in the pecking order than any of them. He got his debut mainly because of injury and partly because of the clamour for him to get his debut IMO. Herd would go in ahead of him at the mo' if he came back and we'd revert to a dedicated defensive mid. I don't want that to happen. For me, I'd keep Gardner and Petrov in the centre and then put whatever you want around that.

I think its much better to start with Petrov, then one of Ireland/Bannan and Gardner, I hate starting with two DM, doesn't offer enough going forward, I think Garnder can get up and down the pitch pretty well.

I think Herd will be out for a while but he would come back in if fit. I would agree that he might be behind Bannan and Ireland but I dont think either of them will start together in our system.

When all are fit, there is a bit of a selection headache imo. Herd, Clark, Petrov, Bannan & Ireland. For me i would go with Petrov and Clark holding, allowing Ireland/Gardner to roam around and create. I'd like to play a 3 man central midfield, but i also like Bent and Gabby together.

How about...

----------Petrov-----Clark-------

N'Zogbia------------------Gabby

----------Ireland/Gardner--------

----------------Bent----------------

Looks strong on paper. Or maybe drop Clark and play Ireland & Gardner...Cant be much more attacking then that!?

Gardner can use his engine to cover the pitch and get up and down, Petrov to hold and Ireland in a bit of a free role to feed and create for Bent.

Delph being sent out on loan shows that they think he can do better than him.

No it doesnt at all. It just means they want Delph to get a bit of form and fitness back. The same way Gardner went out on loan a few weeks ago.

Why does a young player going out on loan have to be a bad thing? Or maybe its just a VillaTalk thing?

:bonk:

For me, Gardner has the most potential of any of the youths. So it's important to use him and get him growing into the side. Take the initial pain of having a youngster learning his trade and making the mistakes that youngsters will inevitably make so that in the long run he is the indispensible midfielder that I think he will be.

Of the midfielders who aren't exclusively attackers/wingers we have Petrov, Herd, Clark, Gardner & Delph.

Petrov is a given. Delph is on-loan and we must entertain the possibility that Eck sees one of the other 3 as being the long term solution rather than Delph. Clark for me is a centreback and I'm not convinced by Herd as a trustworthy defensive mid in the long term. He just comes across as being slightly more enthusiasm than ability. I also think he's too limited a) in that role and B) to be anything other than what he currently does. So for me Gardner is the one to have. He can do it all in the centre. The others have cons to go with their pros. His only 'con' is inexperience and that's easily solved.

Attacking-wise we have Bannan, N'Zogbia, Albrighton & Ireland but they're not competition for Gardner's place IMO.

Â