Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

He definitely shows a lot of potential but the one game he started in CM with Petrov we were destroyed by Wolves. We appeared better when Clark moved to CM with Petrov and Gradner moved to the right. Wolves main player Frimprog went off after 15 mins of the second half but even before then we were playing better in CM than in the first half.

He looks like he'll be a good player who will be great at getting into the box at the right time but at the moment I don't think he's fully ready to be playing in a CM with any of our current players. Maybe if we had a more athletic DCM than Petrov it would give him a bit more freedom but we don't so he shouldn't start. But I would like to see him used from the bench when we can.

He definitely shows a lot of potential but the one game he started in CM with Petrov we were destroyed by Wolves. We appeared better when Clark moved to CM with Petrov and Gradner moved to the right. Wolves main player Frimprog went off after 15 mins of the second half but even before then we were playing better in CM than in the first half.

He looks like he'll be a good player who will be great at getting into the box at the right time but at the moment I don't think he's fully ready to be playing in a CM with any of our current players. Maybe if we had a more athletic DCM than Petrov it would give him a bit more freedom but we don't so he shouldn't start. But I would like to see him used from the bench when we can.

I agree that you can't play a two with Petrov + inexperienced CM'er. Just ask Delph as this is what ruined his game.

I would like to see:

------------ Herd/Clark ------------ We really should have bought a proper DCM in the summer!

-------- Gardner -------------------

--------------------- SI -------------

but this probably won't happen whilst we have Keane here.

Matrim, I attribute our performance against Wolves more to the fact that our left side was shocking in the first half. Clark looked woeful at leftback and Gabby wasn't helping him in the slightest. We were being ripped apart so Warnock came on for Gabby and moved to leftback and it shored everything up.

Frimpong going off definitely helped us but that's as much a criticism of everyone else in the side as it is of Gary. I think it's harsh to blame Gardner on the fact that Frimpong was making a mug of our whole defensive 6.

I agree that you can't play a two with Petrov + inexperienced CM'er. Just ask Delph as this is what ruined his game.

I would like to see:

------------ Herd/Clark ------------ We really should have bought a proper DCM in the summer!

-------- Gardner -------------------

--------------------- SI -------------

but this probably won't happen whilst we have Keane here.

Thats the biggest pile of gash I have read for some time :lol:

Delph cant control the ball, cant make a 5 yard pass and cant tackle, thats why his game is so bad, nothing to do with playing with Petrov!!!!

Definitely with BOF on this one. It keeps getting mentioned that Wolves tore us apart but all of there play came down flanks. Clark and Gabby were woeful that day in 1st half and Albrighton/Hutton not much better on other side.

Frimpong did have a good game but he only got though centre once - when he lobbed it over Petrov to get through.

Fact is that Gardner can tackle as well as Clark, he is more mobile than Clark, can pass better than Clark and offer us something in an attacking sense. He looks like he always wants the ball which youngsters starting in Prem rarely do. Only difference is Clark has 10 games more experience. Big woop.

No brainer for me and he and Stan can play there together - both good enough to get forward and back.

That said I wouldn't start him against City ;-

Why not :) It's a free game and they don't know him as well as they know our other players. His fearlessness might add some purpose to what could be an otherwise impotent Villa performance. I know some will say a bad loss could destroy him but I don't buy that. Players aren't that fragile. Who else do you put in there alongside Petrov. We don't really have a standout candidate IMV.

I have really been back and forth on this one.

On the one hand picking him would be a very positive sign from Eck saying we are looking to get a result here not just poking our arses in the air and hoping for the best a la Spurs away.

Ultimately though I am siding with the fear of hurting his confidence. Up against Barry, Milner/de Jong, Silva it could be a real lesson as they wont get much back tracking from Keane. I think confidence can be incredibly fragile with certain players. Look at Albrighton last season started on fire then barely looked Championship by the end. Taken him a year to get it back, Ireland another example.

Very hopeful Gardner will have character to be mentally stronger than that but who can know at this stage.

Overall I feel the prospect of GG having a stormer and us winning 2-0 convincingly is less likely than us getting beaten 2-0 convincingly and GG being taken backwards a step.

I would keep Clark there for this game, he's letting nobody down at moment even if he's not setting the world alight. Would then start Gardner in next game because he is the future of our CM not Clark.

Why not :) It's a free game and they don't know him as well as they know our other players. His fearlessness might add some purpose to what could be an otherwise impotent Villa performance. I know some will say a bad loss could destroy him but I don't buy that. Players aren't that fragile. Who else do you put in there alongside Petrov. We don't really have a standout candidate IMV.

I agree with this...Gardner has been captain of teams therefore he must have strong mental attributes about him, would be a good game to see him go.

Albrighton's confidence was shaken after just one defeat, IMO it was shaken after losing his starting place and then only coming on for last few minutes of games where he then tried to overdo things to make a name for himself.

Petrov and Clark just dont seem to offer much going forward when playing as a pairing.

Unfortunately as Gardner played for reserves today would seem unlikely that he will start against city

Unfortunately as Gardner played for reserves today would seem unlikely that he will start against city

Tuesday to Sunday? That's plenty of rest.

Also he only played an hour - commentators thought this was a sign he would start at weekend.

--

I think its a fairly balanced decision - would be very exciting if he did start - just saying if I was picking team I would go with caution and have him raring to go in a game where he can have a solid impact.

That's a point. I'd forgotten about that. I thought it strange that he came off after 59 today. It certainly does suggest he will be very involved.

For me I'd put Gardner next to Petrov in the middle and Clark next to Cuellar in defence

can't beleive i'm agreeing with richard ;)

gardner as a box to box midfielder and petrov sitting back to screen the back four would be good. woudl really like to see more of clark as a centre back, he could be our vermaelen. he is comfortable on the ball, good going forward and can score...

People talking about Gardner against City as brainless, how is this any less brainless than playing Clark?

Experience? Meh. Give me talent against those guys any day. We need all the hope we can muster.

i think Clark is talented, but as a CB, not a CM, so i agree with you.

Â