Blackburn friendly match ratings (Merged)

brummybloke

Won't go through them all;-

Given - some good save 8

Warnock - yes some errors - but looks to be getting back to form. 7

Mkoun - Poor for me - treats the ball like a hot potato - fast, short sideways passes - granted he mostly found his man - but we need more than this - 4

Delph - looked good - tenacious in the tackle - and tried to create stuff with the ball 7

Bannan - didn't get involved enough for 5 - 5

Fonz - I actually though he looked pretty good - 7

There was tendency to play high balls to Darren Bent - and at times the crosses were going in very early.

The defence looked much better though - they all seemed to know what they are doing.

I think in both matches (This and Walsall) when Makoun went off it was showing on the pitch imo.. he kept the flow going really.

Given - Good saves

Bannan - I thought he did well really..

Delph - I was slightly disappointed with how he started but really got into the game later on

Delfouneso - Lively....

Gabby - Put a good shift in

Bent - Great as always...

Clark - Hmm...

Heskey - decent.. shouldn't be in our starting XI but can do a good job off the bench

Petrov - Good but tired out (most did to be fair)

The rest... Dunne/Collins/Warnock etc were solid to be fair.. This fixture is getting boring though.

Mkoun - Poor for me - treats the ball like a hot potato - fast, short sideways

Every team has a player like this, it's called keeping possession. Especially in heat like that. When he went off as DVIN we barely kept the ball and ended up being camped in our half.

In football you're allowed to pass sideways, my biggest gripe is when people moan about it all the time. If every player passed forward all the time teams wouldn't have possession for more then a few passes.

Blackburn played crap! Villa played OK but still need that killer instinct, 1-0 is not good enough for me when we had 65%/70% possession, Happy to see Warnock back and Makoun also had a fair game! Just happy that we didn't fold in the third quarter like we did last season.

MOTM for me was EVERYONE who played (ok. Collins) difficult conditions, scorching heat, high humidity, rock hard pitch and the support was not great! Still see Villa Losing 3-0 in the final (I hope i'm wrong and it's only 2-0).

Anyone know who's going too Ref the finals?

only saw the last 20 minutes or so, everyone looked knackered by then. all the villa players were still very committed though, which was excellent to see. warnock, was getting stuck in and the defence generally looked more organised. i thought we at least tried to pass and move, although the energy levels werent quite there to make it work all the time.

i thought the youngsters showed great energy and desire, but i think sometimes they show too much. albrighton in particular seems to be trying to play at 100 mph all the time, trying to do too much himself.- its great when you need him to beat a man and get a quick cross in, when you are on the break etc. but when you are trying to build with possession, he needs to be more aware of where everyone else is on the pitch and not rush things. he has a tendancy to get his head down and just concentrate too much on what he is doing- then you see the stupid backpass, going for a shot when bent is open 10 yards out for a tap in.

its like with delph diving into challenges, everyone likes to see a committed challenge, but not if you have taken yourself way out of position and left a gaping hole for an attacker run at the defence. then theres fonz trying to trick his way round players - great when you have the defence on the back foot, not so good when you are 30 yards from your own goal and lose it.

still, a good performance and result considering the conditions.

Moderately impressed, the conditions were very punishing so neither team was able to play to their full capacity. Still I liked how seriously both sides took it with some feisty tackles flying in. Gabby worked his arse off and appeared very much to be in a free role popping up all over the place, it looks like he's very hungry to put a disappointing last season behind him. Heskey didn't do badly as others have suggested, he held up possession well, Warnock was a revelation excellent performance from him. Dunne and Collins looked a lot more solid and as a whole our defence was better prepared to deal with Blackburn's nasty corner kick tactics than I've seen them.

Given - 7 - Really didn't have anything to do.

Young - 7 - Was pretty quiet down right flank today

Warnock - 8 - Looked solid, linked with Heskey well.

Collins - 9 (MOTM) - Looked fantastic, not afraid of anything and passing to perfection.

Dunne - 8 - Very composed.

Bannan - 5 - Bad day at the office? Didn't seem to get all that involved.

Heskey - 8 - Looked fantastic on wing, some nice passes.

Petrov - 7 - Better than average performance, hopefully more like this during season.

Makoun - 7 - Looked good, passed it about, kept posession.

Gabby - 7 - Made some nice runs/dribbles, worked hard.

Bent - 8 - Nice finish, did well up front considering little service.

Subs:

Clark - 4 - Hopefully that was just a bad day at office, would prefer him playing CB to be honest.

Albrighton - 6 - Did fine, some nice runs, good shot at end.

Delph - 7 - Looked lively, kept on slipping a lot though.

Delfouneso - 4 - Lazy!! Going to have to pull socks up!!

I didn't see the game today - but I've got a strange feeling Heskey is going to surprise a few people and put in some really big performances for us this season. Great to hear about the defense looking good and Warnock seems to have picked up his game - the last 18 months have been a right off - lets hope he continues to play like this and not like the way he platyed which led him to be omitted

I've got a strange feeling Heskey is going to surprise a few people and put in some really big performances

I've got a normal feeling that he isn't. I'm so sick of people making excuses for him as he fails to control straightforward passes and blazes chances over the bar. He put in a few good shifts in last season, but they were the exception rather than the rule. I'll be delighted if he can perform to a high level this season, bit I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Woeful performance against a desperately poor Blackburn. Young players aren't up to it and today should show this to anyone who feels differently.

We are severely lacking in any real quality which needs to be addressed before the season starts!

Morpheus: Young players weren't up to it today, but it would seem a bit premature to write them off on the basis of this game alone.

FWIW: I actually agree, I don't think many of them are 'up to the task' but today had little bearing on that opinion, be it for or against.

Woeful performance against a desperately poor Blackburn. Young players aren't up to it and today should show this to anyone who feels differently.

We are severely lacking in any real quality which needs to be addressed before the season starts!

i agree with this,boring game,not many chances,poor passes,dont understand why the long balls all the time from our back four.

with a young and downing in there we would of looked a bit better than what we was.

Blackburn was poor and we wasnt much better.

:(

So I guess by todays performance Collins is a world class defender?

Â