Match Thread

wedge

None of our kids played well at all today.. just a friendly but if wwe are to rely on them.. concerning

Pretty much agree, though you have to credit Bannan with the assist and bear in mind the circumstances.

Hopefully Ireland is fit for the game on Saturday..

Positives -

Defence was spot on.. They didn't put a foot wrong all game.

Given kept us in the game at times.. That save in the second half was stunning.

In the first half we were playing some crisp short passing football.

Darren Bent once more showing us why we paid so much for him.

Negatives -

Our youth players didn't turn up.. Delfouneso looked extremely tired, Albrighton just didn't seem up for it and Clark.. If we play him as a CB and he makes the mistakes he made today we'll concede goals. Maybe it was the heat, but unfortunately it was the youngsters (Bannan not included, he was great) that let the side down today.

None of our kids played well at all today.. just a friendly but if wwe are to rely on them.. concerning

Looking forward to a Wrestlemania main event of Bannan v's Delfouneso one day.

Hello ..

We always beat Blackburn. It's the law.

Well .. In the cups yeah ..

But in the league .. apart from the last game which we won 4-1 ..

They've won three in a row !

Hopefully we could beat them next time in the league though !

Think we may see this result crop up quite a few times over the course of a season!

1-0 bent? 20 times next season and we are laughing...

one nil, to the vi-i-lla, one nil, to the vi-i-lla.....

Pretty much agree, though you have to credit Bannan with the assist and bear in mind the circumstances.

I understand the point KSV but it's also a bit unfair to judge them on what was an average pitch in 90% humidity.

I thought Bannan did well as did Delph when he came on but what was Clarke and Albrighton doing with a couple of back passes! lol

Good win, bring on Chelsea.

whole team was solid today, was hard with the heat and pitch been poor. particular highlights warnock, young, delph, gabby,collins

Yeah pretty much this.

Except Collins deserved MOTM.

Also Heskey, Petrov & Makoun worked their socks off.

You can see the grit & determination McLeish has put in the team.

Warnock really didn't look like he wanted to play for us did he? MUCH!!

I'm rather concerned about our midfield. We need a strong defensive midfielder at least.

At least I'm more confident with the defence now. All the stick they got last year when really it was Houllier's lack of organsation in that section.

It's early days but the defence seems tighter. There seemed a bit more unity throughout the team as well. Some sloppy misplaced passes in midfield put us under unnecessary pressure. Will take 1-0 all season.

Warnock man of the match for me...

made some great crunching tackles and his passing/runs forward were good as well. Very proimising if he can keep that up.

The rest of the defence was great, Gabby looked very sharp and Bent did what he does best.....movement in the box and gets a goal when the service was lacking all game....

the youth players were poor and i do think if Fonz, albrighton and bannan get too much playing time together we will struggle...

i thought Marc would try and impress more when he came on...he was very quick to pass it backwards and didnt try to take on his winger once..if you dont do it Marc nobody is going to!....

if Warnock continues that form, we sign Zogs and Ireland turns up and McCleish does sort out our defence (based on that performance hes started to already) then i do think we will have enough at least until January.

Its a lot of IFs but its not impossible and im more optimistic of it happening after that run out today

The way we played today really pleasantly surprised me. Maybe it's because of all the pessimism on VT, but I'm really pleased with today's performance.. If one thing AM is doing right, then it's definitely getting the back 4 to really play. The were exceptional today, but Collins was the standout. I was really impressed with Warnock's performance. His positional play was excellent, and he wasn't too shabby going forward; linking up well with Gabby in the first half. Our defence was actually playing with grit and passion, something we rarely saw under Houllier. Also, Heskey was really solid today. He's got many detractors here, but he can be an asset to us if he continues to play this well. However it wasn't all rosy today. A couple of the youngsters were kind of meh. Delfouneso looked really slow, and average. Albrighton for someone who I was very impressed with last season, refused to take on the full back. Although he did put in a couple of decent crosses near the end. Clark was a liability in midfield, and was incapable of passing anywhere but backwards (he almost cost us a goal doing that once). Delph and Bannan were the only ones who played well out of the youngsters. Bannan's crossing was superb in the first half, and led to a goal in the second. Delph's dribbling was excellent, and who said he can't tackle? He does have a tendency to slip though, I don't know what it is :lol:. Anyway, that's my $0.02 on today's performance.

I am not going to read too much into this, dodgy pitch and extreme humidity was always going to make this a difficult fixture.

I thought Warnock had a good game but he has had a season off, Delph showed glimpses of why he could be our playmaker for the next 6-8 years. I just hope he can start to take a game by the scruff of the neck and pull the strings in there.

Apart from that, a game of few real chances and although we won it comfortably, I wouldnt say we pulled up any trees.

We couldn't counter attack properly at all because of the conditions. Not really fair to judge a team on this

but after watching Walsall & today's game on the TV as I thought we will do alot better than last season!