Photography?

trimandson

Has anyone done any courses with the Open College of the Arts?

Considering enrolling myself and just wondered if anyone had ever done one or looked into it.

Having done a previous online course organised by a magazine which had its good points and its very bad points, I'm a bit wary but it seems to tick all the right boxes. Affiliated with the Open University, the courses count towards a degree if you want to go down that route (considering this) and if you complete a lev 1 or 2 course and are a member of the RPS you automatically get a Licentiateship of the RPS (letters after your name ;) )

Anyway I doubt anyone here has but just in case I thought I'd ask for some feedback

Bicks, did you ever do this? If so, was it any good?

Is it a good course - Yes

Do I have the time to do the course work at the moment nope - in fact I think I'm officially about to give up

Its just what I wanted to be honest but circumstances at the moment have conspired to give me a lack of time

I'm going to see if I can defer for a year, It is a "proper" course, its not as simplistic as most online courses, just wish I had the time

nope (though I am thinking about a website in the not too distant future)

Oh and we won one of the rounds today, which means we get to have at least one photo (maybe more) shown in a 5 day exhibition at the Tate in Liverpool

Some of the photo's posted later

Dunno, can't be arsed is probably the honest answer

Anyway to my eternal shame this will be exhibited at the Tate in Liverpool with my name attached to it

beatlesdeckchairsxz1.jpg

I am ashamed of myself

(but in my defence the clue for the competition lead to Mathew St so wtf was I supposed to shoot?)

limestpt4.jpg

Another one from today (and was better than all the competition to my eyes but we'd already won by then, so were precluded I reckon - no team won twice)

Obviously the clue led to Lime St and I still can't believe no other team spotted this

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of buying a new point a shoot camera for my hols and I'm baffled by the reviews so thought I'd ask here for some advise?

I currently have a Sony Cybershot DSC P200 that I have had for ages and to be honest I'm very happy with but fancy a new gadget.

I want to spend around £100 - £200 and want it to be a worthy upgrade from what I currently have, preferably with decent video feature that I can zoom whilst recording? I'd also like it to be really small so I can take it out in my pocket at night?

Any recommendations please?

• 2 weeks later...

couple from butterfly world, Isle of Wight .. camera lense kept steaming up and these buggers wouldn't keep still for long so I'm quite happy with these (originals as always far better than the imageshack scale down)

img0115iv2.th.jpg

img0134it1.th.jpg

The secret to unsteaming you lens is to let it aclimatise to the new temperature, if it kept doing it, you must have kept going between different temperature zones or something.

Nice Photos btw, Flutterbys are a pain the arse to photograph though, like you say, one second they are perfectly still the next they've gone

Now I'm not a nature photographer by a long shot!!! But I had one of my camera's out to test some lcd screens and thought i'd pass by. I often walk through the lake and think "I must try some shots in here"... The light wasn't great today and the better side was populated by chavs so I didn't bother going walkies and dealt with the lack of light where i wanted it.. it was a good exercise though. I'll add some shots.. hopefully not so many I bore everybody!

bpark_20080602_0036-022.jpg

bpark_20080602_0087-057.jpg

bpark_20080602_0085-055.jpg

bpark_20080602_0069-045.jpg

bpark_20080602_0068-044.jpg

bpark_20080602_0065-041.jpg

bpark_20080602_0049-031.jpg

bpark_20080602_0047-030.jpg

bpark_20080602_0033-019.jpg

bpark_20080602_0008-005.jpg

bpark_20080602_0004-002.jpg

Couple of my snaps, I do a fair bit of after shopping. Although there are times I go for the natural look I'm much more interested in heavy saturation.

NYC

2227983018_97024b2f8a.jpg

A little bigger

2227983274_57a9316493.jpg

A little bigger

2227972902_c1ba56b614.jpg

A little bigger

2227187455_722af655a6.jpg

A little bigger

2227188397_3f6f0ce55b.jpg

A little bigger

EIRE

2227974194_50dc87a70c.jpg

A little bigger

2227975220_abe09a5bf9.jpg

A little bigger

This is the harbour at my home town of Greystones, beautiful spot, sadly now a construction site as developers are turning it into an apartment/marina complex, was delighted for the chance to take some final pictures there when home for Christmas.

2227982574_13a521734d.jpg

A little bigger

2227182477_61abe7e058.jpg

A little bigger

And the Villa, original is bloody huge, must upload it and post sometime.

2227975146_0e1b25ec95.jpg

A little bigger

thinking of getting the Canon 450D ..i had heard wonder things about the Nixon D60 but by all accounts the 450D is a better camera ?

My cameras take a bit of a pounding so don't want to go into the pro range ..my 300d actually melted around the plastic grip due to the heat in India ... plus the 450 sort of range is more than good enough for a point and click type user like me

Anyway camera suggestion aside , I've usually travelled with a 18- 55mm and a 300mm lens but on the whole with the 300mm the results aren't that great .. I think due to hangovers and lack of sleep i tend to get the shakes too much so never really got photo's off it that I'm 100% happy with and a tripod is something i don't want to be carrying with me if I'm hiking about the place ... ....The aim on my travels is to travel light so a 400mm is a no go much as I'd like the extra range ...but If I went down to a 200 mm lens would I get a better image and how much range would i loose ..If I'm on safari and things like that ...

any suggestions welcome ...

@ Tony

First suggestion is check out the Sony Alpha range that has the in-body anti-shake first introduced by Minolta. It works and is a much lighter AS method than that pursued by Canon and Nikon who are still doing it in the lens. It increases the weight and the cost doing it that way and I'm pretty sure they will both go in-body in the near future. I have a Minolta and a Sony body and can attest to the efficiency of the in-body method of AS and all the lenses you use benefit from the AS, not just the ones you have paid extra to have it engineered in.

The other point is that if you are using a shutter speed less than 1/300 sec with a 300mm lens hand-held you will struggle.Apologies if it is an egg suck on this focal length/shutter speed reciprocal calculation that is generally applied.

Â