Photography?

trimandson

Three in a row I know but while I've got time I'll try this little simian guy out and see how good he is at teaching:

Examine the two pretty average photos of our simian friend:

29Feb2008_0147Large.jpg

50 mm 1/60s f32 iso400 flash fired

29Feb2008_0146Large.jpg

50 mm 1/60s f2.8 iso400 flash fired

The lesson is APERTURE and Depth Of Field

The shot at f2.8 only has focus on one particular part of the image whereas the shot at f32 has pretty much everything in a lot more focus. Cutting to the chase... f2.8 is WIDE OPEN, the shutter is open at it's widest point for this particular lens. At f32 the shutter aperture is as small as it can possible be when it opens.

Not clear? When you press fire, a hole opens at a certain size and for a certain amount of time. The correct combination results in correct exposure.

By playing with the f number you can blur out the background (less depth of field), which is lovely in portraits, or have it all pretty much in focus (more depth of field).. such as is useful in landscapes.. where you want to see everything and you aren't focusing your attention (sic) on any one part of the image in view.

Still confused?

Check out the shots... Even on a small guy like simian... we can blur out all but his right paw/hand/ fist *not sure what it's called or we can show more of him. Often the resultant shift in exposure, in this case the amount of light the flash emits to compensate for the shallow depth of field aka wider aperture, results in a different tonal qualiy to the image. Another reason why it works for portraits. It can be more flattering.

The wider the aperture.. the more light... the shorter the exposure time. In this case with flash indoors it is compensated for.

The narrower the aperture.. the less light enters.. the longer the exposure...

Try setting your camera to aperture priority if it has it... and play around. Ideally without the flash. That's a totally different lesson :D

Granted, this wasn't too clear.. but let me put it another much better explained way:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Have to say I like the first one Damien, not so sure about the second one

Bit too much editing in the bottom one for my taste

BTW, bought myself a new D300 to go on holiday with last week

54 point auto focus is amazing (I thought it would be wank)

Quality at the higher ISO numbers is **** unreal, the quality at 1600 / 3200 ISO is something I thought I'd never see

Nikon > Canon at the moment no doubts about it, theres many a pro swapping to Nikon, even noticed a Sports bod using nikon at Pompey last week

(Nikon are currently offering to buy some pro's canon kit and swapping it for Nikon FOC)

Aye, just got some new actions so i've been playing around a bit.. losing sleep while i'm at it! Arrgh..

If you know anyone after a nikon 28mm 2.8 let me know :D I never use it really, only because i use 17-50 2.8, 50 1.8 and 70-200 2.8 VR almost always. I had the sigma 10-20... that's a great lens if you like landscapes! Probably my favourite sigma lens.

I tried the d3 but not the d300... brilliant moves by nikon, amazing they are offering to buy some kit, what with the last 1d, the mkIII having probs I heard a lot of users going back to MkII so I bet some of them went to nikon.

BTW, bought myself a new D300 to go on holiday with last week

Great buy, I would have gone for one myself were I a Nikon shooter or didn't have so much investment in A-mount glass. I went with the A700 and have been happy with it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

That however is handheld at 3200 ISO which quite frankly is staggering

Yes, it's impressive. The equipment is ace. I think the more fundamental point is that you've got a good, natural photographic eye. I think the stuff you post is really good, and you have a real talent for this.

That however is handheld at 3200 ISO which quite frankly is staggering

Yes, it's impressive. The equipment is ace. I think the more fundamental point is that you've got a good, natural photographic eye. I think the stuff you post is really good, and you have a real talent for this.

:oops: Really kind of you to say so Peter, just wish I had more time for it!

• 2 weeks later...

A few from a day out in the Isle of Wight last weekend (it's 10 mins away from me on the Hovercraft...quality!). Lovely place, we only got to see Ryde and spent a few hours on the Steam Railway. No doubt, I'll be going again soon. Not the best pics by any means but it's just a snippet :D

p4132847de3.jpg

4132839wb0.jpg

p4132956zw5.jpg

p4132963gn0.jpg

Just to keep the water theme going ..............

nicediversmural001monohe8.jpg

Really like something about this tbh, tried getting rid of the whatever it is hanging off the wall on the rhs, didn't look as good with an empty space, I also know theres a small amount of bush in the bottom left hand corner but I'm not sure whether I want that gone either (it offers an idea of scale) but opinions greatly accepted as there's something I like about this a lot but know its not quite right. Mono is definitely the way to go with this one though (imo obviously) but is it the right mono conversion, do I need to tone down the blacks a bit or darken the whites maybe?

Edit: another question, is it straight or have I gone to far in trying to correct the distortion? You look at something for long enough and you really can't tell

You are all terrorists.

Obviously, the camera gives us away

You mentioned elsewhere that you 'know your rights'. I'd be interested (as I suspect would others), what exactly ARE a photographers rights if an over-bearing pig comes bothering you ? Wouldn't be O/T in this thread me thinx.

You are all terrorists.

Obviously, the camera gives us away

You mentioned elsewhere that you 'know your rights'. I'd be interested (as I suspect would others), what exactly ARE a photographers rights if an over-bearing pig comes bothering you ? Wouldn't be O/T in this thread me thinx.

If you want an explanation thats short and simple, there isn't one but what I can give you is a link to a PDF, that I carry around with me in my Photography bag in case the need arises to consult it

clicky for 2 page pdf file

right thats the politics dealt with, here's something I've been ruminating on for over a week and I'm still undecided whether I like it or not

mentonstatueart002bf5.jpg

mentonstatueart001oz8.jpg

Now obviously the upper phot is the original and the lower is the arty one, I'm thinking of printing the lower one on fine art paper and framing it

nicediversmural001monolm0.jpg

Edit: another question, is it straight

Just looking at the picture, it's either gay or not straight (apologies to Adam Sandler).

or have I gone to far in trying to correct the distortion? You look at something for long enough and you really can't tell

Oh, you were discussing technical photographic stuff... never mind... :D

Â