Photography?

trimandson

I figured that was who you were trading with. I guess they would have been long NARU'd had they been a scam outfit.

Hope it works out. Keep us updated.

PS I used to go after the eBay scammers hence the caution on my part.

You used to go after scammers? I'm a bit confused by this seller because whilst there seems to be several negatives on his feedback, there is also a lot of positives. Most of the negatives are from people who didn't expect to have to pay the customs and VAT charges. The majority of people who've left feedback seem to have said the packages came fine. The one worry from his feedback is that there seems to be a massive gap from February to October. I've emailed both him and a couple of past buyers to get a bit more info...

The people I went after were 100% guaranteed, stonewall scammers who would either hijack other peoples ID's, OR setup thousands of new ID's from which to scam from. eBay are so slow to react that there is enough time for the scammers to lure in many unwitting victims.

Whatever the techniques the scammers use, they all want payment via unsafe (untraceable) means. i.e Moneygram/Western Union and not safe ways like PayPal (although that's not strictly true either when it comes to Nigerian scammers buying from unsuspecting sellers).

While your seller may not have perfect feedback they don't meet the criteria I've outlined above.

Brace yourself for customs issues though maybe.

Well today I got an email from eBay saying that someone had been listing items on that ebay name without the account holders permission. I did a paypal resolution request and the seller refunded my payment, also saying that his account was hacked. Lesson learnt I suppose - usually when the offer is too good to be true, it really is too good to be true.

Now I'm back to square one. FZ30 or Fuji 9600?!

Well there you go! Just think, if you'd wired them the money the way they want you to you'd be well and truly farked now. eBay would not have helped you.

This is what pisses me off about eBay, they just don't react quick enough.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Id be shocked if it wasnt numerous photographs stitched together to make one big one. Long exposure times, perhaps a little cleaning with photoshop? Its a picture from Wikipedia. I just happen to love it.

Couple of my night shots ..I don't have a tripod so am relying on being able to hold the camera still so there is a touch of bluriness to the images , but on the whole i quite like them

img8948nt4.th.jpg

img8957xw6.th.jpg

200801dubai008nx5.th.jpg

Just found this on the subject's myspace page... It was from her, and my, first portrait shoot, back in college. I think she scanned it from an old print I gave her, so it might not look great.

rebekah1stshoot0Large-1.jpg

ps what a gwan' with the widescreen..can someone shrink those cool LARGE photos?

• 2 weeks later...

What software are yiu using to put the borders around your pictures , It helps brings out the subject matter and I want tot try it on some of my shots

Tips always appreciated , biggest problem I have though is I'm taking photos as i travel and pretty much working on point and click due to not having time to kep changing camera setings .

I Have started to play with RAW and may start taking my photo's in this format ..is that my best option ?

Definitely shoot in Raw if you can, at least you will have a better chance to rescue certain failings in the original shot and you will be working at the full potential.. image quality wise. The border is simple, I use Photoshop CS3 but I imagine the principle works with other software. You make your canvas size bigger than your image size. I usually stick to 102% width and height but the above example was more clearly. In Photoshop I go to canvas size under the image drop down menu, then choose 102% for width and height *for example.

In relation to hand holding steadiness... at Focus on imaging, a show that was at the NEC this week, one guy had a competition going which really highlights common mistakes people make and how with training it is possible to shoot a steady photo at slow speeds... it's blooming tough though! Basically he had a prefixed point in his booth, an a4 image with a crosshair as the target. You then took a photo of that a4 image using his canon 1dmkII and huge and heavy zoom lens.. all preset and autofocus.. so point and shoot. However the camera is large, the lens is huge and heavy and the shutter speed was 1/4 second..... tough. Worth training yourself though because it's all to do with stance, how you trigger the shutter, and breathing tecnique.

When pressing the shutter button.. don't stab. Press gently and hold. If you stab you risk a little shake.

Stance wise is a cross between boxing and shooting. Find the centre of gravity on the camera/lens set up and rest that on your left/right hand... all the weight should be there. Dig your elbow as far into your body as possible, and if you can get your shoulder into the action do that too.

Breathing... don't hold your breath. Shoot on the out breath.. the slow out breath!

Hope that makes sense. It's blooming tough to shoot at 1/4 and granted isn't that necessary without a tripod etc but it's great if you can train yourself to.

I for the record can't. But I do all the rest so I'm not far off. I've stopped coffee drinking for now to give my body a chance to settle and be good for wedding season :D doh. It starts tomorrow for me.

Â