Photography?

trimandson

A question.

Looking to upgrade my camera. Currently have this.

A friend is selling his for £400, but has offered it to me for £375. It's this one.

He paid around £850 for it about 3-4 years ago. He has taken good care of it and it's in excellent condition.

Just after some second opinions - I'm pretty tempted to take it off his hands. It's at the absolute upper end of what I can afford but I think it'll be worth it. Thoughts?

What are you going to use if for?

It's 5 years old now. A friend of mine uses this after his 7d got drained in water and he manages fine with it, but he is using L-series lenses. I haven't tried it yet, but I assume it's alright in normal situations, but is likely poor in comparison to it's successors on high iso, both in noise and color reproduction.

Do any of you have tips when photogrpahing people? I like taking pictures of people out and about. Yet I worry that they may attack me or something if they see me taking a picture of them. Or is the idea to do it in a subtle manner?

Do any of you have tips when photogrpahing people? I like taking pictures of people out and about. Yet I worry that they may attack me or something if they see me taking a picture of them. Or is the idea to do it in a subtle manner?

some of the cameras you can get now are tiny

the hardest bit is getting in and out of the cubicles without being seen

alternatively, you could just ask them, just walk up and ask if you could take a picture - but be ready, if they say yes, pick up the camera and click, don't then have to start dicking about with buttons n levers

I've taken a couple lately where I've just plain asked, and I've had a surprisingly good hit ratio. People giving it a bit of illicit street art up walls, rolling past on canal barges or just sitting on the end of a pier.

I've never had a problem taking pics of people out and about. If you are at some sort of gathering very few will care. If it's in the street, on a beach or promenad, etc, just use a longer lens. Very few people will notice, and of those that notice very few will care.

If they spot you just give them a nice smile. If they don't like your smile, go over to them and show a nice picture you took and tell them your good intentions. If you don't have good intentions, get a very long lens :)

• 3 weeks later...

Been taking a few photos, this one is from Bestival. Wondering if you can give me some advice based on this photo for the future. Cheers.

http://tinypic.com/r/8zfvk4/6

For that particular shot.. Depends what you want it to show/say. You definitely have mixed emotions in there.

I like that it takes in a few people and has some context but I want to be drawn into the happy and decorated girl more than I am. Unfortunately the two other faces, one in particular, take the edge off the happy vibe. So maybe is crop in to just miss happy for this image if its part of a set.

Processing wise, personal choice but I'd brighten it and touch of contrast too. I didn't check the file but are you shooting in auto white balance? I think it said you shot in raw? Sorry, looked quickly on the same window, should've opened in another tab to refer to it.

Shooting.. Maybe if your lens allows a wider aperture and you focus on her eyes it can draw us even more into her.

Now I'm only looking on a mobile screen to be fair so this isn't a super analysis but its a good shot, a little tweak in processing will give it more punch, a crop may make it a stronger image.

Dunno if that's of any use?

Also rule of thirds for composition would make it stronger. It's something that comes natural or something worth working at, 9/10 it's better

Brilliant. Cheers for that. I am a little frustrated with the fact I didn't fully capture the blonde girl, it was a very quick photo when they turned around as I felt they looked like the spirit of the festival. Going to use the advice to try and get better shots. Even going to take a short course to help me improve. I'll put another up later from Bestival, see what you think. Cheers.

Good deal on the Nikon D5100 here.

I've just bought this camera. I've gone for the Tamron 18-200mm lens though, which would bump the price up considerably in most circumstances, but it's available at ValueBasket.com for £460. Be prepared for 2 weeks to get it delivered though.

Also, keep an eye out for discounts or compare prices at Photino.co.uk, and never forget to use Quidco. :thumb:

Brilliant. Cheers for that. I am a little frustrated with the fact I didn't fully capture the blonde girl, it was a very quick photo when they turned around as I felt they looked like the spirit of the festival. Going to use the advice to try and get better shots. Even going to take a short course to help me improve. I'll put another up later from Bestival, see what you think. Cheers.

Arb0d.jpg

any better?

• Like 1

Â