Photography?

trimandson

That beach shot is bloody great.

What Nikon did you buy Mike?

Cheapest entry-level I could get! Couldn't justify anything else. D3100.

I've had the D5100  since the back end of last year, and I'm constantly learning with it.  Great fun though!

Have you experimented with long exposure and water moving? Add a nice sunset to it and it will look very decent.

My only long exposure with water and the ND filter was this (a couple of months ago):

DSC_0285a_zps1cf7b602.jpg

I wasn't even that picky about the vantage point at the time, I just wanted to get out and play with the ND filter.  I've since found a place to climb down to the left hand side of where this picture was taken from where I should be able to get much more of the scene in, rather than hanging over the side of the old railway bridge.

Your sunset picture is excellent and has inspired me.  I'm off for a walk at Instow this evening.  Shame it'll be low tide - a high tide provides an excellent view on a clear night...

Vantage point could be better, but that's a nice scene though. You could shoot that again and make a stunning black & white.

What I noticed when I started experimenting with sunset shots is that there can be alot of difference in the colors depending upon the clouds. The water will look very different as a result. You also need a lot of patience to wait for that moment when the colors are just right :)

I did get a ND-filter at one point. I got 3 stops, graduated and horizontal. It was the plastic-kind though and they were suseptiple to dust, scratches and moisture. Ended up being a nightmare editing out all the spots and such, and in the end I just figured taking three shots and layering the images were easier than looking for a million tiny spots. I'd like to get a proper glass fliter set, but that's low on the must-have-items.

Hi Guys,

Looking to getting another DSLR but have lost touch since I got rid of my eos 350D. Looking for something entry level for £250-£400. Ideally will need to be something with decent continuos shooting as a lot of my pictures will be of fast moving fish.

Any recommendations appreciated, I have been looking at the Nikon D3100 but not sure it is fast enough as have read it can be a little slow?

Love the randomness and contrasting contents. Colors are great too. That wicked editing has some freakish effects that I generally stay from, but it works in his images.

Got a job decorating a boat being built over here with around 25 large framed images. Really excited about it, as the pay will allow me to invest in more equipment and get the ball rolling much quicker. It's gonna lay oil pipes and I think it's the largest of it's kind, so it's quite an expensive one. I only recently got my company started, and will focus on weddings and my own projects but a job like this is brilliant, especially at this time, because I can use my image bank and most of the work is already done in that sense. I don't really have much high quality equipment so will be good to have some cash to splash.

• Like 1

p3140376.jpg

Went to see Girls Aloud twice in Belfast and once in Dublin shortly before they broke up and took many photographs one of which you can see above. If you would like me to post another then please beg. :D

p3140376.jpg

Went to see Girls Aloud twice in Belfast and once in Dublin shortly before they broke up and took many photographs one of which you can see above. If you would like me to post another then please beg. :D

You know which photo subject we want to see from you.

Just come across this guy.

Shots of Bombay, Blackpool, Shoreditch, and reflections.  Good stuff.

I love the hen party shots, they're brilliantly tawdry.  I like the shots of people in India driving vehicles but to be honest it's a little bit old hat that sort of thing now, loads of photo sites I frequent seem to have lots of people photographing foreigners with interesting faces.

Have you seen it in such a way before though? Many of them have a bit that Elliott Erwitt humor in them, I thought. Perhaps Garry Winnogrand is a better comparison. His style was a bit more chaotic :)

Edited by tarjei

Takes some guts to photograph strangers in the street as well.  Especially pissed up idiots as form the majority of his portfolio.

• 1 month later...

Realised I can record my screen (though I haven't got software to record my dual display so it's a bit awkward, relevant to the first vid anyway)

I'm thinking of doing some tutorial vids. So these are just the first attempts!

• Like 1

Go for if you have something to share and don't mind spending your time doing it. I love watching tutorials for editing. The only problem is the amount of poor stuff out there the good stuff drowns in all the crap.

I recently made a few 3D panoramas for a client. I know you can get equipment that does the job for you, but as I'm only just starting out I had to make do with the stuff I already had. I watched a whole bunch of tutorials online on how to do it.. the problem was that they all recommended software that didn't seem able to do anything else than outdoors with lots of space. This particular job was interior in a boat, so space was limited and software like PTGUI and Autodesk Stitcher, that was recommended the most wasn't  able to stitch the images with any predictable consistency.

I ended up mixing tricks I picked up from difference places and making my own process. It wasn't perfect but I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Here's an example (6 mb and requires browser with flash-support):

Interactive Panorama

Edited by tarjei
  • Like 1

Go for if you have something to share and don't mind spending your time doing it. I love watching tutorials for editing. The only problem is the amount of poor stuff out there the good stuff drowns in all the crap.

I recently made a few 3D panoramas for a client. I know you can get equipment that does the job for you, but as I'm only just starting out I had to make do with the stuff I already had. I watched a whole bunch of tutorials online on how to do it.. the problem was that they all recommended software that didn't seem able to do anything else than outdoors with lots of space. This particular job was interior in a boat, so space was limited and software like PTGUI and Autodesk Stitcher, that was recommended the most wasn't  able to stitch the images with any predictable consistency.

I ended up mixing tricks I picked up from difference places and making my own process. It wasn't perfect but I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Here's an example (6 mb and requires browser with flash-support):

Interactive Panorama

I like that! There's an understandable yellow tinge to the white balance in parts (understandable because of the intense doorage) but I think it's nice, sharp.. very good

How would you correct that, Damian? By the way, do you mean next to the doors only, or overall? I've already adjusted the white balance slightly, but it's one of those things that I never feel sure about. I tend to struggle with indoor lighting. If I adjust after my eyes, the colors usually turns a bit strange in darker parts, or if I successfully remove all yellow it takes away the natural feel of it. I did a total of 12 like these, but the others were more difficult with dark wood(like) floors and mixed incandescent- and daylight, with a slight tint on the wall too. Absolute nightmare of mixed signals for my camera.

Thanks for reminding me I have a blog :lol:  Haven't logged in for a while and just realized tumblr must have changed something cos it was a bit messed up.

Â