Photography?

trimandson

That Coventry Cathedral shot is an almost shot for me, its a great idea but needed to be taken a few steps to the right to get the bricks and windows perpendicular in the frame, the slight angle kills the image for me.

Love that Westward Ho beach shot!

beach shot is quite excellent

Cov Cathedral was really annoying, just didn't have the lens or the step ladder to get the proportions or the perpendicular, so yeah, agree again. There is a lens that would be a lazy fix for me, but it costs more than the camera. I decided the stonework line down the middle of the shot should be square and the other lines just are what they are.

It's probably a bit of a get out, but my 'method' or my game is to basically take snapshots. I might wait for an old dear to move out of shot, but I will not make a spectacle of myself and lay on the floor or wait an hour for a shadow. Most photo's are literally a stop en route to somewhere I'm working, so I can't let it turn into 20 minutes of pondering the composition. I will mess about on the laptop trimming and rotating later to try and turn a pig's ear into a more shapely bright pink pig's ear.

I'm not ready to contribute to this thread yet, but I'm enjoying playing with my new Nikon! 

Good stuff Mike. I must admit some of the comments I got from a few people on here were good. I actually went on a course (Xmas present) and that helped with quite a lot of the basics in the early days. Don't be afraid to PhotoShop was one of the main ones from this forum :-)

so how hard should you tug

on an SD card that's mysteriously stuck in its slot? It's not in upside down or back to front, it works. I can take photo's, look at them, transfer them to laptop etc., so at the end of the day I don't have a desperate need to remove the SD card. But I'd like the option! You press it so it does the spring thing and pops out a little, from there you can grip it and get it out a little further - but then it is properly stuck firm.

Any ideas that don't involve a mig welder or juniour hack saw?

• 4 weeks later...

DSC_0955a_zps083b8311.jpg

There's been some cracking sunsets down here this week.  I had a walk up by Huntshaw where we have some bloody large turbines to capture these on Wednesday.  This was an 0.5 second exposure - I'd been playing around with the speeds and anything slower than that was losing the rotation of the turbines (it was quite windy) and over exposing.  I'll try again on another night when there is less wind.  I'd like to get the three turbines motionless...

DSC_0955a_zps083b8311.jpg

There's been some cracking sunsets down here this week.  I had a walk up by Huntshaw where we have some bloody large turbines to capture these on Wednesday.  This was an 0.5 second exposure - I'd been playing around with the speeds and anything slower than that was losing the rotation of the turbines (it was quite windy) and over exposing.  I'll try again on another night when there is less wind.  I'd like to get the three turbines motionless...

I'm impressed with the lack of noise in the sky in this photo.  Must be doing something right!

If you use longer exposure you can have a fairly low ISO, hence less noise. Top half of that shot is pretty noisy though, I'm guessing cos that part of the sky is underexposed. A little tip to avoid noise is to overexpose slighty and bring the exposure down in post.

Edited by tarjei
  • Like 1

If you use longer exposure you can have a fairly low ISO, hence less noise. Top half of that shot is fairly noisy though, I'm guessing cos that part of the sky is underexposed. A little tip to avoid noise is to overexpose slighty and bring the exposure down in post.

Point taken.  I'll have a look at some of the others I took and see what they are like...   :thumb:

Have you experimented with long exposure and water moving? Add a nice sunset to it and it will look very decent.

It was one of first things I attempted when I started getting into photography, and it's a very good way to learn to know the basics.

DSC_0055ssg.jpg

From one of my first sessions. Ended up selling this one for £500 :) That's me btw, I think it was around 30 sec exposure.

Ps! Poor editing on this one with a halo around the body, I couldn't find the final edit.

Edited by tarjei

Â