Photography?

trimandson

It wasn't particularly to do with the assassination of a German officer, it was more that the 2nd SS Panzer Division ('Das Reich') had been trying to get from the south of France to the D-Day landing zone, and had been held up and harrassed (rather brilliantly) by resistance fighters all the way. They decided they had had enough, so they totalled Ouradour and all its occupants.

Check out Max Hastings' book 'Das Reich' for the full story.

Thanks,I wil do that.The second world war really interests me. You seem to be quite clued up on the subject though ?!

Very much a lifelong interest of mine.

You lived through it didn't you?

It wasn't particularly to do with the assassination of a German officer, it was more that the 2nd SS Panzer Division ('Das Reich') had been trying to get from the south of France to the D-Day landing zone, and had been held up and harrassed (rather brilliantly) by resistance fighters all the way. They decided they had had enough, so they totalled Ouradour and all its occupants.

Check out Max Hastings' book 'Das Reich' for the full story.

Thanks,I wil do that.The second world war really interests me. You seem to be quite clued up on the subject though ?!

Very much a lifelong interest of mine.

You lived through it didn't you?

(Deadpan). Sorry to spoil your joke, but in a way, yes, I did. The generation born in the 1950s was very much in the shadow of 'the war'. From British war films, to Airfix Spitfires and Lancasters, to parents' reminiscences, it was all around us. Birmingham still had many 'bomb sites', and rationing was still in force for the first few months of my life.

It's like having a folk memory for something you didn't actually experience, but it very much feels like you did. In some ways it feels more 'real' to me than what's happening in Afghanistan now.

I'm selling my mint recently bought Nikon d300s guys (originally selling on http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=395831 ) So PM me for information if you're serious about buying. I bought a d700 so one of my d300s bodies has to go! Also after that potentially a Nikon 17-55 2.8 lens. So if you want both, I can do a deal :) I'm after a Nikon 24 1.4 so it'll go straight to that.

nxERI.jpg

eAYgp.jpg

qSzsZ.jpg

For the sake of not being a total loser, these were taken with my baby Nikon/D3100 with the 35 1.8.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought an Olympus E PL1 on Friday.

It's old, I was quite surprised to see it re advertised but it was something I liked a year or so ago but was over priced. Got one in a local Jessops for £209 after a bit of haggling, it came with the standard kit lense and a 40 / 150 zoom. My theory being the two lenses were worth far more than the total price.

A half decent camera that will live in the boot of the car for those drive by moments of beauty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me out with a bit of advice please.

I got a new camera a few months ago and I am pretty please with it and I am slowly getting used to all the modes and settings and things.

One thing I am struggling with though is selecting which of my pictures to keep when I have lots of the same. I have uploaded 7 photos I took of a parrot the other day to SkyDrive here.

All of these are pretty much the same so obviously I don’t want to keep them all, but I find it hard to narrow them down and see which is the ‘better’ photo.

These are all straight from the camera, I guess the whole selection process gets even harder if I look at each one to see if it would be better than the others if I enhanced or cropped it.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I got a new camera a few months ago and I am pretty please with it and I am slowly getting used to all the modes and settings and things.

One thing I am struggling with though is selecting which of my pictures to keep when I have lots of the same. I have uploaded 7 photos I took of a parrot the other day to SkyDrive here.

All of these are pretty much the same so obviously I don’t want to keep them all, but I find it hard to narrow them down and see which is the ‘better’ photo.

These are all straight from the camera, I guess the whole selection process gets even harder if I look at each one to see if it would be better than the others if I enhanced or cropped it.

Thanks

Just be brutal man, you can get a cool photograph out of all of those files, try 2, 3, and 6. Boost the levels, contrast and add a spot of sharpening and you'll be sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PROTIP: If riding Amtrak down (New Englanders get to say "down to New York"...) to New York, try to get a window seat on the right.

1342546975172.jpg

20120717_134303.jpg

20120717_134316.jpg

(taken with my phone... the shutter lag on the Captivate Glide is a bit fail)

((taking the train down to the Illadelph for the Villa...))

Hi,

Thanks

Just be brutal man, you can get a cool photograph out of all of those files, try 2, 3, and 6. Boost the levels, contrast and add a spot of sharpening and you'll be sound.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a complete photoshop novice... So what exactly does boosting the levels mean?! Cheers

Hi,

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'm a complete photoshop novice... So what exactly does boosting the levels mean?! Cheers

Photoshop Levels - a quick pointer

Go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Levels

Then in the levels Dialogue box you will see a histogram, change the drop down box from RGB, to red and move the left and right sliders until they hit the edges of the histogram.

Then change it to green and do the same again, then change it to blue and do the same again.

You should have noticed your picture looks more dynamic (unless it was that good in the first place). What you have done is change the colour space so the image uses the full gamut of colours

This will work in about 90% of your photo's, its (for me at least) a standard adjustment for just about any image

Budget £600

Can anyone recommend a camera please

Possibly one of the most irritating questions ever and if the answer to the obvious follow on question is... for taking photographs then reduce your budget by £450.

If you haven't worked out what the obvious question is, then reduce your budget by a further £50 again

Â