Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Disappointing to see an old dog like him make a rookie mistake like that in an all important game when we had just equalized.

Vlaar, you mean?

Vlaar lost the ball, but there really is no excuse for being beaten from that distance.

Even if Brad started in a decent position, that shot (which started at the far right of his goal and ended up in his top-right hand corner) would still be pretty difficult to save IMO.

I was right behind it, 5 rows back and must have been one of the only Villa fans who appreciated the difficulty of the technique and perfect execution. Sure it mightily annoyed me, not least as we were wet-through, but it was a quality finish that Guzan couldn't do much about from his starting position for me

Disappointing to see an old dog like him make a rookie mistake like that in an all important game when we had just equalized.

Vlaar, you mean?
Vlaar lost the ball, but there really is no excuse for being beaten from that distance.

Even if Brad started in a decent position, that shot (which started at the far right of his goal and ended up in his top-right hand corner) would still be pretty difficult to save IMO.

I was right behind it, 5 rows back and must have been one of the only Villa fans who appreciated the difficulty of the technique and perfect execution. Sure it mightily annoyed me, not least as we were wet-through, but it was a quality finish that Guzan couldn't do much about from his starting position for me

It was a poor decision to roll the ball to Vlaar while being so far out. And he seemingly did it because he was annoyed with Pony. An experienced quality player like him should not have fallen for that. And you could see from his face he knew it himself.

• Like 1

Another player we may struggle to hold on to IMO.

Goalkeeper is probably the strongest position in the premier league. Who do you think would buy him?

I don't know what I'm talking about.

Reminder to self : think, then post.

• Like 1

I could see a few clubs wanting Guzan but he has no reason to leave. He is clearly our #1, he has been at the club for years now, and he is very well liked. Guzan has been having another solid season barring a couple of mistakes, but that is expected from every keeper. 

• Like 4

I don't think you can blame him for getting beaten from that distance given his position.

The error was giving a relative hospital pass to Vlaar which meant he was out of position.

But it was a great goal. Shades of Petrov vs Derby.

• Like 2

He is one of 4 players we need to build the team around.

You can't really build a team around a keeper

You build the spine first - goalkeeper, central defender, central midfielder, striker - then build the rest. So in some ways you do build the team around the keeper in a manner of speaking.

• Like 1

Â