Stephen Warnock

KSV

Very easy to lay the blame at the feet of a player who made the grave error of slagging off this city and this club. However, he was up against a pacey and tricky winger and almost every fullback has a nightmare on the occasions that this happens. He did improve matters in the second half to his credit.

In fact he has been one of our more consistent and better players this season (if people take off their distorted glasses for a while they will see this) although this is not a difficult thing to achieve given the fact that no player has really been consistently good.

Yes, he has made some mistakes but which Villa player hasn't?

If anyone thinks that getting rid of Warnock is the answer then they are very naive.

Very easy to lay the blame at the feet of a player who made the grave error of slagging off this city and this club. However, he was up against a pacey and tricky winger and almost every fullback has a nightmare on the occasions that this happens. He did improve matters in the second half to his credit.

In fact he has been one of our more consistent and better players this season (if people take off their distorted glasses for a while they will see this) although this is not a difficult thing to achieve given the fact that no player has really been consistently good.

Yes, he has made some mistakes but which Villa player hasn't?

If anyone thinks that getting rid of Warnock is the answer then they are very naive.

I must be incredibly naive then. Warnock has been consistently POOR and among the worst players, if not THE worst player, the first half of the season.

Maybe we were watching a different match...but

I think Warnock, who I do not rate, had a TERRIBLE 1st half. He has been below average for most of the season, especially the last few matches. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you're defending a speedy winger NOT to mark him so tightly if you have no support. You give the winger a bit of space so that you don't get done for pace or a ball over the top. Also, Warnock hasn't got a clue when it comes to keeping in line with the other defenders or an offside trap. He was a good 10 yards ahead of the other defenders and an easy chip over the top set his winger clear on goal. Dunne/Collins/Cuellar have been bailing Warnock out REPEATEDLY this season. I haven't even mentioned the fact that Warnock likes passing the ball to the wrong team in dangerous positions, because all the other poor play really shows how terrible he is. Houllier fell out with him, fair enough. If Warnock was a good enough player, you better believe that GH would have eventually put him back into the side. Managers want to keep their job. GH obviously saw that Clark or Baker or even Delph were adequate replacements for Warnock. That being said, fair play to Warnock for not committing suicide at halftime and coming out and having a scrappy, much better 2nd half. I respect the fact that he didn't throw in the towel and give up. I'd give him a -2 for the 1st half and a 6 for the 2nd.

The problem is bigger than Warnock alone, but he's definitely part of the problem

The worst part is we really have no players outside of Lichaj who can step in. Clark is far too slow to be a LB and outside of Clark and Lichaj who else could possibly play there? Our RB situation is just as bad. We are playing Cuellar out of position and he is doing pretty well but he isn't a RB. Too slow and should be starting at CB. Hutton is absolute shit and again we really just have Lichaj. Herd can play there as well I guess.

Lichaj did quite well in his few games so I hope McLeish will give him a shot with Warnock's and Hutton's poor play this season.

The club paid well over the odds for Warnock. I couldn't believe it when I heard that we were paying so much for both him and Dunne. Never rated them before they joined us, and nothing I've seen at Villa has changed my opinion of them.

when we seem to be in the market for a player, other clubs just seem to throw a few extra mil on top, knowing that we will pay it and not haggle

hes certainly an average player and a liability at times, granted he has good moments, but they are outweighed by poor performances

lets see what stevens can do for the last half of the season

doesnt lowry and baker play LB?

FWIW I think Warnock has been one of our most consistently steady players this season, unfortunately though he does have an error in him almost every game and this is often far too easy to look at instead of his decent performances. Most of his errors are early on in games too, seems to be a bit of a slow starter. Not saying he's world class but I don't think he's as bad as everyone is making out due to a lapse in concentration

To Warnock's credit, I think he's been pretty solid this season. But today he got run ragged by a sprightly lad with no little class. He wont be the first that's happened to and he wont be the last

The fact we have no other options is more worrying. Because Clark would've faired no better at left back today i'm 100% sure

100% agree.

The club paid well over the odds for Warnock. I couldn't believe it when I heard that we were paying so much for both him and Dunne. Never rated them before they joined us, and nothing I've seen at Villa has changed my opinion of them.

Maybe you should attend more matches then because Dunne in particular has been very solid this year.

All 4 of our "first choice" defenders are prone to regular errors. None of them are as reliable as they could be when it comes to simple defending.

Tbh I think we overpaid for all of them, but mainly because I wouldn't have bought any of them if I was manager.

i can never make up my mind over warnock. He is a decent player but he just makes errors and gives performances which we know he is better than. To his credit e always puts in a shift and won't hide from anything. If he makes a mistake he looks gutted but doesn't shy away from the next tackle.

I will have to see how good edna is though before i call for warnock out of the team becasue atm he's the best we have there.

theres better LBs out there that would make less mistakes, we should start fishing around for younger more eager players, like mrtin olsson from blackburn, simon poulsen from AZ or marcell jansen from hamburg

Warnock has been absolutely ok this season, some ups, some downs, mostly ok, but I guess it's in the nature of football that you're remembered for your last game.

It's the same with Beye really who had a thoroughly ok career for us until THAT game vs Rapid Wien where he was put at left back and played the WORST game of his life singlehandedly getting us knocked out of Europe. Up until then he was doing quite all right with even a MOTM performance against Liverpool in there somewhere.

Before Swansea Warnock had one of his best games for us vs Chelsea, absolutely brilliant defensively. Watch it again and you'll see what I mean.

Warnock is still very much a key member of our squad, although I'm quite intrigued to see how this Stevens chap works out.

he has been reliable for most of this season, and i didnt want him back at the club after last years outbursts and shit performances

while im sure there are better out there, at the moment we have more worrying concerns such as a reilable right back so cuellar can play centre back with dunne and a ball winner in the middle of the park so petrov can be the holding midfielder as trying to rely on petrov to win the ball and be a play maker and a holding midfielder is not going to happen.

in warnocks defencem he has also had nzog in front of him for most of the season, and his form has ranged from utter shit to reasonable, he offers no protection down the left side which normally means gabby has to track back or there is a 2 on 1 situation ( or another player getting pulled out of position)

as i say im not a huge fan of him but others not doing their jobs makes his twice as hard, it also disrupts the whole team

didnt nzog play left back for a couple seasons? if warnock gets a ban or injured maybe nzog should be forced to play left back, then he may remember what it is like being 2v 1 all the time with no help from the playe infront.

Â