Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

Not all keepers are still playing at top level when they get beyond 35 years old. I remember we signed Schmeichel when he was about 36-37 yrs old and was one of the best keepers in the world at Man United, yet not all that great for us. He declined and ended up retiring not long after leaving us.

Is this where we have got to as a club, that we cant even go out and find a decent keeper that can stay with us for a few seasons, bonding with the team? Why are we looking at has-beens? Yet another player using Aston Villa for his last pay day..Great work!

It would be interesting to see where he goes if we back off..Because I doubt many clubs will be after him. Or will pay anywhere near the wages he seems to think he is still worth.

The best value and bet is Kusczkak on a free..Offer him a 2 year contract with average wages(thats all he will get at WBA) If he does well great, if he makes a few mistakes then replace him. At least its not a high risk long term contract AND HIGH WAGES...Chances are that he will blossom at a club like Villa. He may re-find the kind of form under McLeish that caught Fergie's eye in the 1st place. Especially as he is very hungry for 1st team football to impress for the Polish National team in the European Championships.

Given is 5 years too late..

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all keepers are still playing at top level when they get beyond 35 years old. I remember we signed Schmeichel when he was about 36-37 yrs old and was one of the best keepers in the world at Man United, yet not all that great for us. He declined and ended up retiring not long after leaving us.

Is this where we have got to as a club, that we cant even go out and find a decent keeper that can stay with us for a few seasons, bonding with the team? Why are we looking at has-beens? Yet another player using Aston Villa for his last pay day..Great work!

It would be interesting to see where he goes if we back off..Because I doubt many clubs will be after him. Or will pay anywhere near the wages he seems to think he is still worth.

The best value and bet is Kusczkak on a free..Offer him a 2 year contract with average wages(thats all he will get at WBA) If he does well great, if he makes a few mistakes then replace him. At least its not a high risk long term contract AND HIGH WAGES...Chances are that he will blossom at a club like Villa. He may re-find the kind of form under McLeish that caught Fergie's eye in the 1st place. Especially as he is very hungry for 1st team football to impress for the Polish National team in the European Championships.

You could have posted that about Freidel and he did fine for us.

He'll be a great signing. Similar type to Freidel as in a great shot stopper but a bit less convincing in the air. He has been a brilliant keeper at international level for the past decade or more and has never been prone to howlers. Proven quality and a better keeper still than a lot of the names mentioned as alternatives could ever hope to be.

Freidel had a good appearence record, you kinda knew you were getting a keeper that was injury free and looks after himself. Given has had surgery on his shoulder only last year, he is 35 years old and never played last season. He will also cammand higher wages and trans fee than Freidel did. Too much high risk for a club like ours where we need to use our wages and trans budget wisely.

Although I think Given is still a quality keeper you make some good poin ts. Kusczkak or Al Habsi represent good value for me.

Kuszczak is crap. He played one full season in his +10 years career.

Given is big IF

Wolud be great if salary cut, if injury free and if he stay fit next 2-3 seasons

A little similar with Friedel, but Given well known by Dunne. It'd be important to make strong defence.

Freidel had a good appearence record, you kinda knew you were getting a keeper that was injury free and looks after himself. Given has had surgery on his shoulder only last year, he is 35 years old and never played last season. He will also cammand higher wages and trans fee than Freidel did. Too much high risk for a club like ours where we need to use our wages and trans budget wisely.

Given is a better keeper though. Tbh i don't think Kusczkak is good enough, and hardly saw Al Habsi last season as i missed our game with Wigan.

Kuszcak looked very dodgy against Blackburn the last time I saw him play. His confidence looked totally shot. Al Habsi was a revelation last season but I would like to see him keep it up for another while before I'd be convinced he would be be a better bet than Given.

I met him at ladies day at aintree this year. He seemed a really nice bloke and is alot taller than you think. Would be chuffed if we signed him.

someone told me today that hes 6 foot 1. Think it would be a solid gettable start to our transfer dealings. Probably better value out there but seems to be little competition for his signature. If his wage demands are reasonable and he passes a medical then sign him up and move on to the next. Personally i much prefer experienced keepers.

Kuszczak is crap. He played one full season in his +10 years career.

He was 24 years old(pretty young for a keeper) playing a full season for the Baggies keeping Kirkland on the bench.. He was then signed by Fergie after his impressive form for WBA..Fergie then kept him ahead of Foster as his no'2 behind VDS..

Not exactly crap..

:?

He was then signed by Fergie after his impressive form for WBA..Fergie then kept him ahead of Foster as his no'2 behind VDS..

Yeah that reason was that Foster wanted to go for first team football.

Which is the same now for Kusczkak..

He was then signed by Fergie after his impressive form for WBA..Fergie then kept him ahead of Foster as his no'2 behind VDS..

Yeah that reason was that Foster wanted to go for first team football.

Which is the same now for Kusczkak..

I know but it still doesn't make your initial point any more valid.

Fergie didn't opt to keep Foster of Kusczkak, Foster opted to leave so your initial point was wrong.

Anyone wanting Kusczkak or Al Habsi over Given want their head testing. Given has consistently been one of the best keepers in the PL and has over a century of international caps and played in a WC. The only available keeper I would have over him is Foster.

I think Given would be a very shrewd signing. Paper talk about the supposed wage demands methinks - can't see him being content to stay on the bench for another season and therefore will be more than happy to take a wage cut to get out of eastlands.