Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

I used to rate Shay Given as one of the best keepers in the league when he was at Newcastle. He's too injury prone these days though and Guzan would probably end up playing 10+ league games which wouldn't be great. If we were to pay this reported £5 million plus give him over £50,000 a week then I'd be disappointed. I know he makes the odd error but I'd rather pay an extra £3 million - £5 million for Foster who would also be on lower wages than Given.

What a load of rubbish , foster makes plenty more errors than given.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8m is BS. We've offered 2,5 and they want double.

Given knows wages at VP so if he wants to play he is sure to cut the wages. 50-60k/week is possible and acceptable for both

50/60k a week shouldn't be acceptable for Given at all. He's worth about 35k at the most.

We'd be much better off getting Al-Habsi or McGregor.

I used to rate Shay Given as one of the best keepers in the league when he was at Newcastle. He's too injury prone these days though and Guzan would probably end up playing 10+ league games which wouldn't be great. If we were to pay this reported £5 million plus give him over £50,000 a week then I'd be disappointed. I know he makes the odd error but I'd rather pay an extra £3 million - £5 million for Foster who would also be on lower wages than Given.

Precisely. Even if we paid £8m for Foster and paid him £40k per week which I'm sure is an increase over 4 years that's £16m and we have an asset that is appreciating and can be sold on before the contract expires.

Compare that to Given who would cost say £4m and at £80k per week it costs us £20m over 4 years and he have virtually no resale value.

I do rate Given but he's injury prone and put simply there are better and cheaper options around.

I think that is the only thing I have against Given, he's 35 and has maybe another 3-5 years in him maybe 7 if he's lucky. Why go for that when we can get someone like Foster who could be our number 1 keeper for a decade or more at which point if we still have him Siegrist would be ready.

Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given has turned down a move to West Bromwich Albion and is holding out for a transfer to Aston Villa.

Manchester City keeper Shay Given has turned down the chance to join West Bromwich Albion to push through a move to Aston Villa.

City are holding out for £5million from Villa boss Alex McLeish, who values the Republic of Ireland keeper at £3m, but Given has his heart set on the move and knocked back an offer from Albion, who are seeking a replacement for Bursaspor-bound Scott Carson.

Mail on Sunday

Good shot stopper but not tall enough to claim the ball on corners.

Which goalkeepers actually do come and claim corners?

Not many, if any.

Cech is the only one I can really think of.

And Gomes, which leads to disaster.

Not many, if any.

Iker

And Given is taller than him.

So it's a not a height issue.

Good shot stopper but not tall enough to claim the ball on corners.

Not many, if any.

I seem to recall Tony Adams talking about David Seaman, another keeper constantly 'criticised' for staying on his line. Adams, iirc, said words to the effect that he liked playing with Seaman cos he always knew where he'd be (on the line). This made his decision making as a defender easier. I seem to recall Southgate saying more or less the same about DJ too, but for the opposite reason (ie, James would ALWAYS ALWAYS come for crosses, even if he shouldnt). I think what defenders hate is a keeper who sometimes comes, and sometimes doesnt, as that creates confusion and uncertainty.

For me this would represent a very uninspiring signing.

Someone like Foster who could be your goalkeeper for a few years and you could see developing into an even better goalkeeper with us would be an imaginative and ambitious choice. Given ? Meh.

He'll be here for a couple of years , maybe not play some games due to injury, pick up a wedge, not contribute to taking us forward at all, would not develop any more than he currently does and is basically looking for a last pay packet to retirement. IMO of course.

Not one that would fill me with escitement