Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazed that there are people here who don't think this'll be a really good signing. He's been one of the best keepers in the league.

May not be a long term solution but I'm confident he'll be as good as Friedel if not better.

well seeing as we are pretty much a selling club these days I suppose one view would be

£4m for a keeper with zero resale value and maybe 2 or 3 seasons in him , assuming he can stay fit

£8m for Foster with potentially 10 years at the club as Number 1 or fair chance of breaking even on transfer / making money on him

overlooking the clowns in charge of our clubs ideas , in terms of ability and longevity I think I'd take Foster personally

Ive said elsewhere in this thread that im not totally against this transfer - he was a very good keeper a few years ago. But i just cant help but think we're making a mistake here.

I can definitely see us regretting signing Given instead of Foster (or any other number of keepers that have been mentioned)

Ive said elsewhere in this thread that im not totally against this transfer - he was a very good keeper a few years ago. But i just cant help but think we're making a mistake here.

I can definitely see us regretting signing Given instead of Foster (or any other number of keepers that have been mentioned)

I think Foster would have taken too much of the Young money and we need to strengthen a number of areas this summer to get back to last seasons quality in the squad.

I think Foster would have taken too much of the Downing money and we need to strengthen a number of areas this summer to get back to last seasons quality in the squad.

Fixed that for you there.

I wonder if there was any agreement in us not moving for SHA players in this window as part of the McLeish settlement. No idea, but would seem a possibility.

I think it will be a solid, if uninspiring, signing - he'll be key to a good season if he is here.

are keepers ever anything but ?

he'll slot in and do as good a job as Big Brad did. and if he does none of us will be moaning

Getting fed up of reading about wages and fees, we are the fans, not the sound businessman running AVFC. Some people are losing all perspective, Ellis would have loved you lot.

As for Given, great signing.

Decent enough keeper, probably relatively cheap, vastly experienced. keepers can and do go on to 39 and can have their best years from 34 to 38.

This. Although both are different styles of keeper based on their frames, Van der Sar and Schwarzer (along with Friedel) have all proven that age is not an issue in recent seasons.

Given would be an excellent shot stopper for us.

I wonder if there was any agreement in us not moving for SHA players in this window as part of the McLeish settlement. No idea, but would seem a possibility.

Id say that was unlikely mate. Our money is the same colour as everybody elses, plus the fact that its us would drive the price up in their favour. The only reason they would come to any such agreement would be to appease their fans, but at the end of the day finances will come first.

Especially for a club as shite as the blues :lol: