Gym Routine

olboydave

It's probably BEST to do nothing, but working out a different area won't really hurt.

The Don, you're right. I was simplifying it rather, based on that Xela had already said what he was eating.

You have to eat a calorie defecit to lose fat. YEs that defecit can't be too high (about 500 calories per day at most I'd say). But I can eat all the healthy food I like, if I'm eating 1000 calories per day more than I'm burning off, I'll put on weight. Obviously if I'm nailing the weights then a lot of that will be muscle, but for someone who's trying to lose fat, it won't be ideal.

I was merely saying that Xela could let himself eat things like bread and potatoes as long as he makes sure he keeps his calories low enough to keep losing fat. There's no need to eliminate whole food groups just because an abundance of that food group can be bad.

Obvously if someone's getting 100% of their calories from Carbs, and they're still eating a calorie defecit, then they won't make progress.

So yeah, I over simplified things. BUt if your macros are half decent, then sticking to the calories in vs calories out rule will work.

Well I had (kind of still have) a pain in the chest and I genuinely can't decide whether it's muscular or heart :lol: It's right at the inside of the left pec and isn't a pull. If I had to describe it I'd say it feels more bruise-like. So I didn't go yesterday. I'm going today though. So if I don't post on here after about 5pm today, you'll see me in the deaths section of the paper :)

Anyone experimented with any good supplements recently?

At the moment I'm using a pre-work out drink called 'Hemo-Rage' by Nutrex.. To begin with it was VERY potent, deffo got some decent pump in the gym and had a large energy spike. However if I do an evening work out it really effects my sleeping pattern, plus I am finding my body seems to have adjusted to it and they effects are not as strong, so I am looking for an alternative. Have heard good things about 'J4cked' but was wondering what any of you guys use?

For post workout I am using Synergy Iso 7 and I'm a big fan. Decent mix of Protein and Creatine, however if anyone has some advice on an alternative I would be grateful.

Finally I am taking ZMA before bed which has really helped recovery but I was wondering should I cycle on this or continue taking?

Cheers!

Til it turns out I was a hyPERchondriac i.e ignoring symptoms when clearly ill :shock: Anyhoo, I don't care. If I drop dead that'll do too.

Just Whey Protein (although if I could afford to replace that with whole food I would) and 5g Creatine a day for me, supplement wise.

Oh, and a multivitamin, does that count?

Would consider a pre-workout supplement, but I workout (at the moment) about an hour before I go to bed, so don't want it interfering with sleep patterns.

Ok fat bloke here , been recently tryin to loose some weight , its coming off slowly but my weight seems abit up and down , i've cut out alot of the crap from my diet , i'm a type 2 diabetic though not on medication .

I dont go to a gym but play badminton once a week and try and have a 20 - 30 min bike ride most nights , is there something i could be doing more of to shift more weight ?

Just Whey Protein (although if I could afford to replace that with whole food I would) and 5g Creatine a day for me, supplement wise.

Oh, and a multivitamin, does that count?

Would consider a pre-workout supplement, but I workout (at the moment) about an hour before I go to bed, so don't want it interfering with sleep patterns.

Not a supplement as such, but I always add some instant-oats to my pre-workout shake. They're pretty cheap and add a real energy kick, definitely worth checking out on myprotein.co.uk.

Don't use the Smith machine. ;)

For chest throws? Yah what?!

I mean, lower to chest (as per bench press...) then throw upwards, releasing the weight, catching on way down...

Not doing that without a smith.

standard BP... yes. leave it alone unless the rugby boys are in and i aint queuing for shit

Ok fat bloke here , been recently tryin to loose some weight , its coming off slowly but my weight seems abit up and down , i've cut out alot of the crap from my diet , i'm a type 2 diabetic though not on medication .

I dont go to a gym but play badminton once a week and try and have a 20 - 30 min bike ride most nights , is there something i could be doing more of to shift more weight ?

If you're doing that much cardio, which is a decent amount, then most likely you need to address your diet. Not saying you eat crap food now or anything, but you can eat all the healthy food you like, if you're consuming too many calories you won't shift the fat.

Have a read of this. And check out some more of the nutrition articles on that site.

Also, I'd swap 2 of your bike rides for 20 minutes of HIIT. There's info on HIIT on that article above. HIIT isn't for everyone, but I've found it very effective at shedding body fat. If it's a stationary bike you use, you can do it on there, otherwise it might be better to do it running.

(you can do it on a normal bike, but might be a bit dangerous if you're cycling on the roads)

Finally, track your progress. Measure yourself once a week, at the same time. As long as you're losing 1-3 pounds per week you're on track. If that stops, then you need to change things up.

If you're doing that much cardio, which is a decent amount, then most likely you need to address your diet. Not saying you eat crap food now or anything, but you can eat all the healthy food you like, if you're consuming too many calories you won't shift the fat.

Have a read of this. And check out some more of the nutrition articles on that site.

Also, I'd swap 2 of your bike rides for 20 minutes of HIIT. There's info on HIIT on that article above. HIIT isn't for everyone, but I've found it very effective at shedding body fat. If it's a stationary bike you use, you can do it on there, otherwise it might be better to do it running.

(you can do it on a normal bike, but might be a bit dangerous if you're cycling on the roads)

Finally, track your progress. Measure yourself once a week, at the same time. As long as you're losing 1-3 pounds per week you're on track. If that stops, then you need to change things up.

Good man thanks for the info :winkold:

I have enjoyed reading this thread, some excellent insight here so thanks!

Next question:

The Bicep Peak.

I have recently started to add mass to my arms, they are actually pretty toned. However my Triceps are very well developed, and although my biceps are defined, there is no 'peak' to speak of. I'm not vein and I understand that the majority of strength in your arms are provided by your triceps, however I was wondering how you would go about working the tip of the bicep? I have a number of friends who don't really work out and their biceps look better, is this down to genetics or am I just doing something wrong?

I have tried variations on rows, curls and even the crappy machine but with very slow if anyresults! Any isolation tips I am missing?

Cheers!

All you need to remember is that you need to work your entire bicep, that means full repetitions. The amount of people I've seen just working a bit of the arm during curls is shocking.

I'm enjoying 21s at the moment. Maybe give them a try?

7 reps from starting position to half way

7 reps from halfway to top position

7 reps full repetition

I've noticed my biceps have grown in mass since doing bent over rows / Pendlay rows (Barbell work). Give those a try. High weight, low reps. Build that muscle up.

What Dante said.

And for normal bicep curls, make sure your form is bang on. A bicep curl (a normal one) should be from a practically hanging position of the arm, to a tight squeezed contraction. Slow, controlled movements.

If you're swinging the weights and arching your back to get the weight up, then it's too heavy

Form > Weight

Don't listen to me, listen to Kai.

ok then its about time I posted in this thread

now I am quite a big lad, 6ft, not fat but definately more flab than muscle

I am kind of hooked on press ups at the moment, I barely do any physical exercise but the other week for one reason or another I ended up trying to do some press ups and I managed 15 quite easily (shit I know, but then I have never had any upper body strength) but I have been doing them pretty much every day and can do 25 now (this is in about 2 weeks)

I have been doing pretty much 25 3 times a day but have just took a look at it online and have seen that the best way to do it is to push yourself to the limit once a day every other day, as in do 25 have a minutes rest then do 20 another minutes rest 15 etc etc and then have a day off

is this better than just doing 25, 3 times a day? or should I change what I am doing?

I havent actually gone out of my way to exercise since I was about 16 (now 27)

ok then its about time I posted in this thread

now I am quite a big lad, 6ft, not fat but definately more flab than muscle

I am kind of hooked on press ups at the moment, I barely do any physical exercise but the other week for one reason or another I ended up trying to do some press ups and I managed 15 quite easily (shit I know, but then I have never had any upper body strength) but I have been doing them pretty much every day and can do 25 now (this is in about 2 weeks)

I have been doing pretty much 25 3 times a day but have just took a look at it online and have seen that the best way to do it is to push yourself to the limit once a day every other day, as in do 25 have a minutes rest then do 20 another minutes rest 15 etc etc and then have a day off

is this better than just doing 25, 3 times a day? or should I change what I am doing?

I havent actually gone out of my way to exercise since I was about 16 (now 27)

Press-ups are a bodyweight exercise so once you can do 20+ you're essentially just building up your stamina as your muscles are no longer being challenged by the load.

Keep pushing yourself to do more push-ups if you're interested in building stamina, if you're looking to build strength and muscle bulk you should be hitting the weights.

Â