Gym Routine

olboydave

The eating window is fine. I'm still not going by any macros or anything and my weight is oddly still the same (91kg) but I feel leaner and I think I look a bit leaner too.

I know if I want to get some proper results I need to do things the proper way and work out my carb / fat / protein g and stick to that. I'm happy enough at the moment though.

Yeah i've worked on my macros and it's definitely working. I'm down to 16-17% bodyfat, and was more or less 20% 2 months ago

Thinking of starting lean gains when I move gyms so i can workout at a more favourable hour for the eating window. I know you can move the eating window around to suit, but hitting the gym at 9pm doesn't really work when you're supposed to have your big meal post workout. Don't really fancy shoving 1500 calories down my gob at 10:30pm :D

Yeah it is difficult. To be honest I haven't totally got a routine down because, well it's hard with the gym times and after work stuff with the missus.

I usually eat between 12 and 8, occasionally 11 and 7. I try to gym after work so 4:45-5:45 for example, but sometimes I don't gym until 8.

I've been 91kg for what seems like years now. As long as I'm visually happy though I'm OK with that. My weight is secondary to being happy with how I look.

Out of interest, Which Gyms do some of you go too? Some of us Brummy natives might be training in the same gym without knowing!

Joseph Chamberlain college gym, part of the council gyms, has loads of plates and equipment, even has bumper plates and a lifting platform all for £25p/m.

My weight is secondary to being happy with how I look.

Really? It's the opposite for me. How I look is secondary to my strength and recently fitness. They tend to go hand in hand, it just means I don't need to obsess over my love handles!

I don't deadlift. I can, on a good day, bench 100kg (2x50kg) in dumbbells though and have no issue lifting them from the ground. I weigh 74kg for what it's worth.

That's enough showing off for me.

Do less reps with warmups.

Unless you're prone to injury, don't warmup at all. You need to loosen up your joints, a bit of light stretching should to, a bit of rotary cuff warmup, little else. I find warmups to take power away. I've never understood these people who go for a 5 minute "jog" before they start lifting heavy, or worse do cardio before hand.

I certainly wouldn't be advising anyone to "not warm up at all".

I'm with Dante, but it's all about what your goals are. I workout to look better. There's an element of fitness and health in there obviously, but I do it to build muscle (or lose fat at this point in time).

Some people do it purely for muscle size, some people do it purely for strength. It all depends on your goals.

Obviously there's an overlap between a few things.

That can apply for any pre lifting cardio too. I do 10 minutes on the bike to loosen the legs and to get my heart rate up a bit. Keeps the heart pumping through my lifts as well then.

When I'm bulking I won't do that pre lifting cardio because I'll be concentrating on my progression in lifting as the main goal.

PS if you can DB press 50kg in each hand you can probably bench more than 100kg

Do less reps with warmups.

Unless you're prone to injury, don't warmup at all. You need to loosen up your joints, a bit of light stretching should to, a bit of rotary cuff warmup, little else. I find warmups to take power away. I've never understood these people who go for a 5 minute "jog" before they start lifting heavy, or worse do cardio before hand.

Gets the blood pumping and the body working. If you're looking to burn fat whilst working out doing this will get it going. I always advise to do a little 5 minute jog / brisk walk prior to lifting. 5 minutes isn't going to harm your lifts at all.

My weight is secondary to being happy with how I look.

Really? It's the opposite for me. How I look is secondary to my strength and recently fitness. They tend to go hand in hand, it just means I don't need to obsess over my love handles!.

Well obviously doing this strength training is going to have benefits other than looking and feeling good, but my point was I started doing it to lose fat and increase my confidence. That was my first goal. Purely aesthetic. Once I was happy with that I could go onto something else. It just so happens I'm packing on muscle, increasing my strength and looking better all in one nifty workout package.

PS if you can DB press 50kg in each hand you can probably bench more than 100kg

I would imagine so. I've benched 90kg on a proper bar but that was nearly 6 months ago now. The gym I use doesn't have a bar, amazing as that sounds, only dumbells (with 50KG being the max). But then it's 5 minutes from my house and dirt cheap so.

The technique is completely different. I have HUGE triceps as a result, saves me having to do separate tricep exercises (which of course I do regardless).

I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to look good. I do sometimes chuckle when I see an extremely ripped bloke struggling to "shrug" 20kg in each hand as I reach for the 40's, but there you go. I prefer the feeling of being strong and occasionally the use. I don't really have the time or the dedication to do both.

See that's where we differ. I actually don't care how much I can lift. The only reason I progress is because I know that's the way to add muscle.

I chuckle when I see guys struggling to curl 20kg dumbells with atrocious form and I curl my 15's knowing it's doing me a hell of a lot more good than it's doing them

(I'm not saying that's what you do, btw, just highlighting the difference in mindset)

I'm not a weightlifter.

PS misread your bench post. Thought you'd said your benchpress was 100kg because you could DB press 50's, but now I realise what you didn't say that.

See I wouldn't class myself as a weightlifter either. I only add muscle when I lift heavy though so that's how I do it. I think it's a misconception about lifting, no two physiques are alike. I certainly don't look like a body builder anyway!

I do curl 20kg, with average-good form. Nothing wrong with giving the odd leg bounce or throwing a tiny bit of shoulder to help you through the last couple. No different to having a spotter. If I'm struggling I'll drop down to 18kg, if I'm feeling good I'll step up to 22s.

I don't think "form" is a mindset thing, bad form is bad form regardless of what you're trying to achieve.

Well, I have started to eat healthy (beans, veggies, fiber). But now I fart too much, and I don't like it!

Thank God my new girlfriend is out of town this week.

Ha!

My stomach has got used to the powders and what not. It can take quite a while though!

I didn't make my point very well. What I meant was it doesn't bother me that I'm lifting less than someone, and similarly I wouldn't really care if I was lifting more than someone. Again, I'm not saying this is what you do, but you see people in the gym who clearly think "I need to lift this to get big" and they just lift as heavy as they can without concentrating on what's important.

In your scenario, the shrugs, I wouldn't chuckle if I was shrugging double what someone else shrugs. I'd chuckle if I was working myself twice as hard as them though.

In your scenario, the shrugs, I wouldn't chuckle if I was shrugging double what someone else shrugs. I'd chuckle if I was working myself twice as hard as them though.

If you were working to the same goal then yes, I agree. But I also think if you're not pushing yourself in one way or another, why are you there? We just have different end goals. I bet you work just as hard as I do and vice versa.

Shrugs are an odd one though. I often think people don't know why they're doing them. You might as well shrug a can of beans at home if you're not doing it heavy, which nobody ever seems to do in my gym. You get normal sized human beings shrugging **** 12kgs, what benefit is that to anyone?

Â