Gym Routine

olboydave

After my honeymoon in two weeks time time to start putting mass on again, cannot wait, after watching the weightlifting yesterday need to get back on snatch n clean & jerks.

How much cardio do you guys do on top of your lifting?

I do a lot at the moment as I'm cutting. Usually do 10-15 minutes light cardio pre cardio and 20 minutes post cardio a bit more intense, 3 times a week (although I don't do any pre workout cardio on my deadlift etc days at the moment)

Then I play 5 aside footy twice a week which acts as 2 sessions of HIIT.

If I can be motivated I squeeze in a run or a HIIT session on the weekend day that I don't lift too.

If I was bulking though, which it sounds like you will be, I'd probably do no cardio on workout days and just leave it to my 5 aside football to provide the cardio. But that would depend on how clean the diet was. Less clean, more cardio.

Double post :oops:

Sounds good, i struggle to get the balance right, plus i hate running (apart from playing @ futsal) used to cycle loads in London but now living in Brum i dont like the roads here so cardio has vastly reduced.

I am a newbie to the gym, and has gotten help with a personal trainer to get started.

So I have not done much of the bench press, deadlift or chins/pull ups. But now I have started with special focus on squats, and I see good progress.

The trainer set some goals for me one month ago, and that was that I should be able to make 8 reps with 80 kilo in squats (I know, it is not much). At that time I had managed 7 reps with 65 kilo. I worked quite a lot on the legs this summer, and this Saturday I managed three series with 80 kilo and 8 reps the two first series, and 5 reps the third. I was rather satisfied going home that day, though my legs were like gel.

I started with the pull ups last week, but I struggle. Hope to see improvments, though. No chance of making one with my body weight yet.

Today I am gonna find my level in bench press (I have had reps at 55 kilo) and deadlift (tested for the first time last week without the PT, and had very good technique, but did only use 50 kilo).

Goals (long term):

Squats 8 reps x 3 x 100 kilo

Bench press 8 reps x 3 x 80 kilo

Deadlift 8 reps x 3 x 100 kilo

Pull ups: 5 reps

Are these goals achievable?

Now lifting twice as much on my shoulder press as I was 3 weeks ago. Getting serious shoulders :) I wish the rest was going quite that quickly. All going well though.

Good work BOF. Progression is key!

2 weeks left on my current routine. Then I've got 10 days in the motherland (Ireland) and when I come back I'll be going on a bulk and changing up routines. Looking forward to the change!

I'm not progressing on the bench press, annoyingly. I think I'm doing it too late into my workout and my arms are relatively tired at that point. I don't bother with the 1-rep max attempt as; to me; that's that 'other world' I don't want to be a part of :)

I@m uncomfortable with Bench purely because I don't have a spotter, usually. So I find it hard to preally push myself with the worry that it's going to come crashing down on my face. Quite often I use the Smith machine, but that's not ideal.

Personally, I always go for what I deem to be the most difficult exercise first, just so I can give it 100% of my effort.

So Chest bench press is always first up on my chest days, Shoulders raises always first on shoulder days and Wide arm pull down always first on back days.

Yep, I'm pretty much the same although I'll go for the exercise that I think benefits the most, so a big muscle lift. I'd never start with, say, bicep curls. Unless certain equipment is unavailable when I want to use it.

Incline DB press for me on chest days. Love that.

I might look at doing it earlier then. At the moment I will have done abs, shoulder press, T-bar & bent-over dumbbell row (in that order) before the bench press. My concern is pretty much the same as yours though Stevo. There's no safety net with the bench press and you only realise you can't do it when it's too late :?

Incline DB press is pretty much always what I go for, getting those bastards up can be a bit of a menace though. Pretty sure I could rep out higher weights than I do, but less confident that I could get them up in the first place.

Cant wait to start strength training again, happy got my body weight from 100 to 92kg but the diet left me weak in the gym.

On another note, anyone ever trained at Birmingham University gym? it is suppose to be really good, first class equipment and under £25 p/m. Only thing is not sure how busy it would be between 5-8pm

I'm still 91kg. Have been for about 8 months now. I need to go on a serious cut to loose some body fat. I reckon after my holiday in October I'll do it.

I usually do the most extreme exercise first.

So;

Squats > Overhead press > Other shoulder and leg work

Bench > Rows > other bicep/tricep work

Deadlifts > Pull/Chin-ups > other back work

Â