Gym Routine

olboydave

Yeah, I think some kind of work out tracker will be the way forward. Infact I'm typing away into an excel spreadsheet right now (ish).

Funnily enough, the ones I've hit the limit on are infact free weights. The gym I go to only has dumbells that goe up to 26kg, and has no barbell. I can benchpress those fairly easily and get to 12 without too much struggle.

Also the cable machines only go up to 50kgs, so a seated row or something similar is pretty achievable at those weights.

It's not really a muscle-building gym, though I do like it there. Nice & friendly atmosphere, no 'roid-heads' or people showing off.

Oh right. I just assumed gyms have to have loads and loads of weights. Jayzus in my gym you could probably mimic lifting a medium-sized family hatchback :lol:

Compared to the gym I used to go to, this gym is pretty small time in the weights department. I'd be reluctant to leave it though because I can jog there, which forms part of my workout (when I can be bothered).

I wasn't being smart there btw. It was a genuine question. I couldn't figure how a gym wouldn't have a treadmill. I figured your gym must have a running track or something :D

Quick question.

How many reps, typically, does everyone aim for when weight lifting?

I'm of the opinion that 8/9 reps is the best way forward for those aiming to pack on muscle, but am no expert by any means.

Size & Strength = Low Reps High Weight. 5 reps max.

I disagree. For increasing size around 8 reps is just fine for me, but it wouldn't increase strength as much as 5 reps would.

I'm not saying I get 8 reps every time but that's what I aim for and go to failure most times.

However many reps you do its important to aim to fail on the last rep, or at least be struggling. If you don't, then bump up the weight slightly. If you dont fail or struggle on the last rep, then to be frank your not working hard enough imo.

For those saying 5 reps... only with dead lifts will i go as low as 5 (5x5).

The blokes train with go for 3 sets of 7-8 reps for each exercise (failing on the 7th or 8th)... I listen to them because they are STACKED, one being a personal trainer / natural bodybuilder (does natural comps).

Also obviously the MOST important thing about Toning, or building muscle mass is your Diet... without a doubt.

For those interested in break downs I do:

Mon: chest

Tues: Back/lats

Weds: legs

Thurs: Shoulder + traps

Friday: arms

As I said, a degree of it comes down to personal preference.

I go as low as 4 reps on pretty much every lift I do. And there are plenty of guys who are "stacked" that do the same.

Ultimately if you're working hard on the last rep, as you say, then you're going to get results.

I know you've got a split there, but you need rest days in between to maximise gains. Rest and repair.

I'm adamant on the max 5 reps though for working sets.

Hell, on deadlifts I might even only do 1 reps but doing so at my absolute 1 rep max limit. My usual deadlift workout will probably go;

Light stretching for 5 minutes

6-8 @ 80kg (warm-up set)

5 @ 100kg

5 @ 120kg

1 @ 150kg

1 @ 150kg

1 @ 150kg

1 @ 150kg

1 @ 150kg

6-8 @ 80kg (warm-down set)

Your looking at two different routines.

As Don said, reps are for size, and those kind of splits and reps are used by bodybuilder type trainers to get pumped.

strongman/strength training will be low reps. But obviously with getting stronger your muscles will become larger and defined, but not to the same extent as a 10+ rep workout.

Â