Gym Routine

olboydave

I used the smith machine a couple of weeks ago because some other dudes were using the squat rack. Made me feel like superman.

Coincidentally I think I was actually squatting 120kg, whereas in reality I'm at 100kg (1 rep) on a proper ass to ground squat

Shillz, yours looks decent, but I'd always advise people to add in some big compound lifts. Deadlifts, Squats and overhead presses.

They both build strength and muscle. And for those that want to lose fat, they are huge calorie burners because they work your whole body, especially your big muscles (back, quads, hammys etc)

I've been meaning to do this for a while. Think I need to book myself in for a quick consultation so they can show me the best form for these. Though wrt overhead presses (I think), I have already covered these in the shoulders section.

Do it!

Check out TheDon's link in the second post on this thread. it's for starting strength. Plenty of info in there about form for the compound lifts.

A consultation with someone who knows what they're doing would be ideal though

Shillz, yours looks decent, but I'd always advise people to add in some big compound lifts. Deadlifts, Squats and overhead presses.

They both build strength and muscle. And for those that want to lose fat, they are huge calorie burners because they work your whole body, especially your big muscles (back, quads, hammys etc)

I've been meaning to do this for a while. Think I need to book myself in for a quick consultation so they can show me the best form for these. Though wrt overhead presses (I think), I have already covered these in the shoulders section.

Don't waste your money on consultations, Mark Rippetoe (world class strength coach) has a million and one videos on YouTube regarding compound lift form and goes into much more detail than you're likely to need.

I would say join a boxing jym.

I am sure that most trainers would give you advice and let you use the equipment even if you dont intend to box in the ring. Most boxers have a decent upper body.

My Gym Routine:-

Put bag with "kit" in into car ready to go after work

Spend afternoon thinking about it,

Hometime comes - think - no, can't be bothered!

Go home, have some chocolate!

(I seriously need to do something about it now)

PS BOF, forgot to mention before, make sure you stretch off after your workout as well as before. This should minimise your DOMS.

Think you said you did a stretch/warm down anyway, but just in case

I'm going to have to ask an instructor how to stretch upper body properly. I've only really ever stretched lower body :) Sounds silly but I'd rather ask and do it right.

If you're in Birmingham, go to Emporium and speak to Warren (tho i think he went to the other one in brierley hill) tad or keith. Actually all the guys working that place are sound, I haven't been for a long while so I'm not sure who's still there. As with all gyms you have the eejits too but you also have some top guys there. You can feel comfortable if you're a complete novice or a pro. They all went there when I was there, along with the eejits who you just don't bother with.

OK, 2 day rest is definitely needed. I went yesterday and I could feel that I didn't get enough out of it. I did what I could but the muscles were still too sore. I'm already able to do now whilst sore what I did on the first day whilst fresh, so I should be much better by Friday.

Interestingly, my 'rest day' 3.1 mile walks are taking an awful lot more out of me now too because (I assume) my body is using the energy to repair muscle so I don't have it spare for the walking. Interesting balancing act and I don't want to be eating more to compensate for energy because I want to control weight too. Ho hum. It'll be OK.

You can afford to eat a bit more, BOF, if you're working out.

In fact, to build muscle you NEED to eat more, because muscle growth relies on extra calories.

I figure I'll use what's spare to add to the toning process :) There's not a whole lot so it shouldn't take long. I was; to use a phrase; 'completely ****' when I left the gym yesterday though and was in bed by 11, instead of my usual 01:30.

Yeah it is a balancing act. To "tone up" you need to eat less calories. To add muscle you need to eat more.

Doing both, whilst not impossible, is very difficult.

I'll bet you also felt satisfied as well as completely **** though?

Actually no which is why I know I now need the extra day. I couldn't get what I wanted out of it which was frustrating. I don't want to be taking it easy which is why I avoided the extra day's rest but now I know I do actually need it. At least at this point in time.

Once you get started 1 day rest will be on the cards. I'd go to the gym on those days if I could but I know it would be pointless.

I know the first time I did some proper squats and deadlifts I had DOMs for 4 days. Couldn't walk up the stairs properly, was LOL. I was squatting 3 times a week up until Monday. Now I've broke my routine into 3.

• 2 weeks later...

I progressed to free weights last night :hooray: Must say it's far more difficult. I didn't realise I was being molly-coddled to that extent by the machines up to this point. I'm told I'll have to go to a split routine soon as the same muscle groups will simply not be able to be worked to that extent every other day (or rather you won't get the benefits if you do persist with it). But for the moment I'll go maybe 3 weeks with the routine I have.

I'm told I'll probably be able to understand Polish after not too long :) I expect I'm not going to see much gym totty from here onwards. I also think I may not enjoy free weights as much as the machines. I'm not into the 'macho' thing and I get the impression it's just a 'pissing' contest up there. Not my scene but we'll see.

I was thinking about this thread when I was at the GYm last night and was going to resurrect it and ask how you were getting on.

Free weights will always be harder because you're using a lot of other muscles to balance the weights as you lift them. Machines work, but they tend to isolate purely the muscle you're targeting and not work the muscles around it (this can have advantages of course)

And whoever's talking to you about the split as opposed to full body is correct.

The macho thing is something you have to rise above, I've found.

The Gym's full of blokes lifting as heavy as they can, grunting and throwing the weights down to prove they're the strongest.

The irony is, lifting the most weight doesn't prove anything, unless your goal is to be a weight lifter, which for most of the poeple who go to gyms, it won't be.

Form is a million times more important. Someone bicep curling 10kg with perfect form is going to see more benefits and gains than the next guy who's curlig 20kg, but arching his back and swinging the weight in order to do so. A rep with improper form, just doesn't count as a rep.

Once you nail your form and know that you do it right, suddenly those "macho" guys in the gym lifting heavier but with shit form don't seem nearly as macho anymore.

Yeah the instructor told me never to look around at what the others are at because 'they don't know what they're doing most of the time' and I'll just end up picking up bad habits or worse, injuring/straining myself. I've enough on my plate after last night simply remembering how to do the 8 different exercises I was given for the upper body. Some are obvious, the T-bar for the back and the bench press. It's the other ones that all use the same seat at different angles and with arms pointed in different directions that I'll have to concentrate on :) Plus I'll be writing down numbers cuz I won't remember what I can lift in each exercise :rollyeyes:

Â