Gym Routine

olboydave

I know guys, but I have two programs I follow, legs and upper body and since I have a ridiculous competitive gene and slight OCD I have to complete the programs. Wish I could just link the strong app, but it's always 20 minutes rowing warmup at 2:05 -2:10 /500m. Followed by

6-8 sets squats, 3 sets deadlift, 2 sets lunges, 3 sets meg extension, 7 sets leg press, 2 sets chins, 3 sets french press, 4 sets rowing. 

Or

7 sets bench press, 2 sets bicep curls bar, 3 sets deadlift, 5 sets hangups, 2 sets bicep dumbells, 2 sets leg raise,  2 sets dips, 2 sets crunches, 2 hangups, 2 set situps,  plank, 2 sets sidebend dumbell. 

Probably forgot a bit now due to a bottle of wine, but you get the idea.

I know it's probably a shit programme, but there you go. I should finish it faster than I currently do, but I get so god damn tired during it all, that keeping it under 1 hour 40 is really difficult. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Yeah I’d say that’s not a great program at all. 20 sets of quads 😳

After a certain point your body is effectively ‘done’. Further sets are likely to be ‘junk volume’ as you’re not able to train with the intensity required to trigger a response.

Say you were training back, for example. 5 sets of pull ups and 5 sets of strict barbell rows, then 3 sets of cable rows. The weight/intensity with which you’re going to be able to do the cable rows is going to be really compromised by what came before. Yet they’ll still add to your accumulated fatigue.

I’ve been reading some stuff recently which strongly suggests that for the average, natural lifter, 10 sets per session of a particular body part is pretty much the upper limit. Increased frequency seems to be the way forward for best results. I do a 2-3 sessions per muscle group per week, now. For example, 9 sets of quads on a Monday, 6 on a Thursday. Those 6 sets will be done at a greater intensity than they would’ve been had I tacked them on to the end of my Monday session  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I know guys, but I have two programs I follow, legs and upper body and since I have a ridiculous competitive gene and slight OCD I have to complete the programs. Wish I could just link the strong app, but it's always 20 minutes rowing warmup at 2:05 -2:10 /500m. Followed by

6-8 sets squats, 3 sets deadlift, 2 sets lunges, 3 sets meg extension, 7 sets leg press, 2 sets chins, 3 sets french press, 4 sets rowing. 

Or

7 sets bench press, 2 sets bicep curls bar, 3 sets deadlift, 5 sets hangups, 2 sets bicep dumbells, 2 sets leg raise,  2 sets dips, 2 sets crunches, 2 hangups, 2 set situps,  plank, 2 sets sidebend dumbell. 

I know it's probably a shit programme, but there you go. I should finish it faster than I currently do, but I get so god damn tired during it all, that keeping it under 1 hour 40 is really difficult. 

Complete overkill! 

13 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Or

I don't often venture into this thread but felt the need to comment on this. 2 hours in the gym each day is seriously going to do you more bad than good.

If you are doing a lower and upper body split you should be hitting 4 sessions per week, 2 lower body and 2 upper body.

You can then tag cardio or abs onto the end of each session, or use your 3 days off to add cardio in. You should have at least one day off a week.

It's not about volume it's about form and weight. You should be realistically be doing 3 sets per exercise with good form, working each week to increase the weights you lift without losing the form. 

Lower Body 1 - 45 mins - 1 hour

Squats (3 Sets)

Leg Extension (3 Sets)

Leg Curl (3 Sets)

Calf Raise on Leg Press (3 Sets)

Lower Body 2 - 45 mins - 1 hour

Leg Press (3 Sets)

Straight Leg Deadlift (3 Sets)

Lunges (3 Sets)

Calf Raise (3 Sets)

Upper Body 1 - 45 mins - 1 hour

Incline Press (3 Sets)

Dumbell Row (3 Sets)

Barbell Press (3 Sets)

Pullups (3 Sets)

Skullcrushers (3 Sets)

Bicep Curls (3 Sets)

Upper Body 2  - 45 mins - 1 hour

Bench Press (3 Sets)

Barbell Row (3 Sets)

Lateral Raise (3 Sets)

Pulldowns (3 Sets)

Tricep Pulldowns (3 Sets)

EZ Curls (3 Sets)

19 hours ago, JB said:

Yeah I’d say that’s not a great program at all. 20 sets of quads 😳

After a certain point your body is effectively ‘done’. Further sets are likely to be ‘junk volume’ as you’re not able to train with the intensity required to trigger a response.

Say you were training back, for example. 5 sets of pull ups and 5 sets of strict barbell rows, then 3 sets of cable rows. The weight/intensity with which you’re going to be able to do the cable rows is going to be really compromised by what came before. Yet they’ll still add to your accumulated fatigue.

I’ve been reading some stuff recently which strongly suggests that for the average, natural lifter, 10 sets per session of a particular body part is pretty much the upper limit. Increased frequency seems to be the way forward for best results. I do a 2-3 sessions per muscle group per week, now. For example, 9 sets of quads on a Monday, 6 on a Thursday. Those 6 sets will be done at a greater intensity than they would’ve been had I tacked them on to the end of my Monday session  

What’s your current split based on this mate? 

(Aim to) Train five days per week so the best way I can currently think of splitting things is:

1. Back/Shoulders

2. Chest/Arms

3. Legs (More hams - RDLs main lift)

4. Upper body (more high rep, mind-muscle, superset type stuff)

5. Legs (quads focus) 

Do most of my upper body stuff on days 1 and 2 so the general upper day doesn’t take forever. Couple of rest days when they suit me each week. I’d like to be able to train 6 days a week and spread things a bit thinner but life gets in the way. As long as I don’t leave longer than 5 days between training a muscle group then I don’t stress too much if I miss a session. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I don't often venture into this thread but felt the need to comment on this. 2 hours in the gym each day is seriously going to do you more bad than good.

If you are doing a lower and upper body split you should be hitting 4 sessions per week, 2 lower body and 2 upper body.

You can then tag cardio or abs onto the end of each session, or use your 3 days off to add cardio in. You should have at least one day off a week.

It's not about volume it's about form and weight. You should be realistically be doing 3 sets per exercise with good form, working each week to increase the weights you lift without losing the form. 

Lower Body 1 - 45 mins - 1 hour

Squats (3 Sets)

Leg Extension (3 Sets)

Leg Curl (3 Sets)

Calf Raise on Leg Press (3 Sets)

Lower Body 2 - 45 mins - 1 hour

Leg Press (3 Sets)

Straight Leg Deadlift (3 Sets)

Lunges (3 Sets)

Calf Raise (3 Sets)

Upper Body 1 - 45 mins - 1 hour

Incline Press (3 Sets)

Dumbell Row (3 Sets)

Barbell Press (3 Sets)

Pullups (3 Sets)

Skullcrushers (3 Sets)

Bicep Curls (3 Sets)

Upper Body 2  - 45 mins - 1 hour

Bench Press (3 Sets)

Barbell Row (3 Sets)

Lateral Raise (3 Sets)

Pulldowns (3 Sets)

Tricep Pulldowns (3 Sets)

EZ Curls (3 Sets)

I can't be arsed with a 4 spilt. 2 spilt is where it's at for me. So what should I run? Prefferbly the same exercises I already am doing. 

So, a year and a half after my back injury I’m off to try my luck again. I have been feeling pretty good about it for a while, and after a couple of kettle bell sets at home, I want to finally get back into weight lifting again. I’ve developed a bit of a «runner’s body» being off weights for so long, so I really want to add some muscle mass. I’m going to follow Stronglifts 5x5, having had success with that in the past, and I’ll be starting from basically scratch. I’ll be trying out a new gym, too, so I’m not expecting a massive work out, but hopefully it’ll be a good start without any back issues. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

It went ok. No back pain, but the first few work outs with Stronglifts are so easy it is hard to tell. 

New gym was an absolute mess, though. Seems they put all their efforts into group sessions, and leave the weights room in the hands of roided up school boys. Plates situation was literally all over the place and I really have no desire to listen to them talking about how much «candy» they are getting for the party they are going to later. Will have to try a different one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

In Oslo? 

There or thereabouts. 

I’ve graduated to suburbia, but close enough. 

Another day of mixed results. Different gym, it was fine. A little smaller, but clean, tidy and hardly a soul in there. Will be signing up. 

Back can’t handle squats. I’ll have to sub them out entirely, but I’d like to keep on with the rest of the Stronglifts programme. Suggestions? 

Surprisingly, deadlifts were fine. 

Learning about what you're made of is always time well spent.

Wanting to add gym into my routine. For so many reasons. I'm yet to really challenge my body with a workout outside of intensive basketball sessions.

I'll be on display for professional teams in Asia these coming months, so I want to give myself every opportunity to get noticed by coaches and scouts.

I'm playing organised 'ball 6-7 days per week, for hours every day. Technical skills, being an asset with any of the triple threats, positioning, in-game scenarios etc.. Then matches.

That's all well and good, I enjoy developing myself as a basketballer, but I would love to challenge myself and grow as a person most. Finding my best is where I want to be.

What better way to prosper than to test and explore the capabilities of my very being. Not only physically. Mentally, emotionally, spiritually, all of it.

There's real purity to workouts. People lie, cheat, deceive you any time they believe it suits them to do so, but working out will never lead you astray..

Try lifting what you're not ready and prepared to, and you will learn a lesson in restraint. People may come and go, but 100kg is always 100kg.

We're not always going to be motivated, that's why we must learn discipline. I have a lot of admiration for people who commit to working out.

Keep at it. Love your work.

• 4 weeks later...

Since my personal trainer experience with deadlifts was a big success I decided to pay a PT to give me a new workout routine.  Starting today. Should be fun. Only thing I know is that it will be a full body programme. I work out 3-4 times a week now, and be thought that was probably the best for me, especially if work forces me back to 2-3 times. 

Btw. anyone struggling with headaches in periods with lots of gym time and moderate calori intake? I swear I have headaches every single day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okey like I previously said on here I blew some money on a PT to give me a new programme. 

At the moment I am running a new full body programme on 3 day variation (not sure what it's normally called haha).

Day 1:

• 20 min ergo row
  • Squats
  • Straight deadlift
  • Inclined benchpress
  • Rowing
  • Chins
  • Lateral raise
  • Tricep pushdown
  • AB wheel rollout

Day 2:

• 20 min ergo row
  • Deadlift
  • Bench press (barbell)
  • Lunges (dumbell)
  • Pendlay row
  • Lat pulldown (cable)
  • Arnold press
  • Bicep curl

Day 3:

• 20 min ergo row
  • Squat
  • Pull up
  • Overhead press
  • Lying leg curl
  • Chest fly (machine)
  • Leg extension
  • Tricep dip
  • Bicep curl

Okey and here's my problem. A couple of years ago I had massive issues and I mean real problems with headaches. I got these tension headaches almost every day. I didn't realize the cause of them but I thought they could have been workout related so I took a break from the gym and I felt fine. Then I picked up rowing again and big lifts and I still felt nothing, so I assumed it had passed. 

But now I have the same problems again. And I think the cause are the exercises in red. I don't know I just think it's likely to be them. Does anyone ever have had neck tension issues by doing these types of gym exercises?

I am at a position where I think I have to cut them out now, but I really don't wanna be that weak ass man. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Okey like I previously said on here I blew some money on a PT to give me a new programme. 

At the moment I am running a new full body programme on 3 day variation (not sure what it's normally called haha).

Day 1:

• 20 min ergo row
  • Squats
  • Straight deadlift
  • Inclined benchpress
  • Rowing
  • Chins
  • Lateral raise
  • Tricep pushdown
  • AB wheel rollout

Day 2:

• 20 min ergo row
  • Deadlift
  • Bench press (barbell)
  • Lunges (dumbell)
  • Pendlay row
  • Lat pulldown (cable)
  • Arnold press
  • Bicep curl

Day 3:

• 20 min ergo row
  • Squat
  • Pull up
  • Overhead press
  • Lying leg curl
  • Chest fly (machine)
  • Leg extension
  • Tricep dip
  • Bicep curl

Okey and here's my problem. A couple of years ago I had massive issues and I mean real problems with headaches. I got these tension headaches almost every day. I didn't realize the cause of them but I thought they could have been workout related so I took a break from the gym and I felt fine. Then I picked up rowing again and big lifts and I still felt nothing, so I assumed it had passed. 

But now I have the same problems again. And I think the cause are the exercises in red. I don't know I just think it's likely to be them. Does anyone ever have had neck tension issues by doing these types of gym exercises?

I am at a position where I think I have to cut them out now, but I really don't wanna be that weak ass man. 

Maybe try decreasing the weights you are lifting on those 3 exercises. Also reduce the reps down to a maximum of 8 per set. Start building your way up on them. I used to get neck tension issues from those sorts of exercises, but never the headaches, I no longer have any problems with it though.

• 4 weeks later...

Well at least the new programme has increased my maximum lifts on squat and deadlift. I am 10 kg off my best ever lift in deadlift now (from 2013 I think). Which is kinda neat considering I weighed 20 kg more when I did that. And I am crushing my old squat performances 20 kg lighter. Ordered some weight lifting shoes for the first time this week. Gonna try 120 kg squat next week. :D

Think my long term goal is 2,5 x bodyweight in squat and deadlift. I lift raw though, no equipment so far. 

I still can't get the full 8 pack though. The last bottom belly fat is effing impossible to lose. Have anyone ever done that without surgery? I am not sure. 

I admire anyone doing squats and deadlifts, I doubt I'll ever have the confidence to try this with my lower back issues, forget with those kind of weights!

I'm still really struggling with the gym. I go 3 times a week, I eat well, I just can't seem to shake fat or gain muscle. I'm getting a bit stronger, but I just do not look any different. There's certain areas, like my chest, that I really struggle to hit at all. Any ideas?

8 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I admire anyone doing squats and deadlifts, I doubt I'll ever have the confidence to try this with my lower back issues, forget with those kind of weights!

I'm still really struggling with the gym. I go 3 times a week, I eat well, I just can't seem to shake fat or gain muscle. I'm getting a bit stronger, but I just do not look any different. There's certain areas, like my chest, that I really struggle to hit at all. Any ideas?

I find shaking fat, for me, is easier than gaining muscle. Regular, intensive work outs combined with counting and logging your caloric intake will lead to weight loss. It’s easier said than done, but it really is simple maths. Weight loss, if that’s what you want, really is all about motivation and determination. 

For gaining muscle, I’d try Stronglifts 5x5 if you haven’t already. Yes, it involves squats and deadlifts but if you do it right, study the instruction videos and don’t try to rush the progression, you should be fine. Last time I tried it, I rushed it on squats and deadlifts, and I’m still paying the price. However, I have previously found deadlifts in particular to be very helpful for lower back issues. 

Doing both at the same time is difficult, I find. To gain muscle, you need a caloric surplus and it’s hard for me to find the right balance. However, I’d say focusing on muscle gain will probably get you closer to the physical result you probably want. If you can, try to add a cardio day to your 3/week Stronglifts routine and see how it works. 

• Like 1

Â