Gym Routine

olboydave

On 03/02/2019 at 09:42, KenjiOgiwara said:

Been sick for the last 8 days. Hit the gym yesterday and did legs and chins + rowing. 

So sore today it's unreal. 

Didn't have much else to say, but it's incredibly how sore you can get from just 10 days break. 

I've not been able to train legs for 6 weeks due to niggling injuries. First leg session back on Saturday and I can still barely walk!

So first chest, arms and core day last night after being sick. Was a 11 day break for that workout cycle. My god it was hard. Threw up after 1 hour. Felt nauseated the entire workout. Absolutely no energy what so ever. Didn't come close to my lifts I had the days before my sickness. I am kinda happy I managed to power through though, even if it took me 30 minutes longer than normal.

And just to make that workout even better my calluses fell off and I had to do the lifts with open bloody blisters. **** me, what a night. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

• 1 month later...

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and join a gym. Having never been to a gym before I've started doing these as an introductory plan

Day A

3×5+ Barbell Rows

3×5+ Bench Press

3×5+ Squats

Day B

3×5+ Chinups

3×5+ Overhead Press

3×5+ Deadlifts

Rest 2-3 minutes between each set

Do you reckon it's any good?

4 hours ago, Mozzavfc said:

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and join a gym. Having never been to a gym before I've started doing these as an introductory plan

Day A

3×5+ Barbell Rows

3×5+ Bench Press

3×5+ Squats

Day B

3×5+ Chinups

3×5+ Overhead Press

3×5+ Deadlifts

Rest 2-3 minutes between each set

Do you reckon it's any good?

Looks like Stronglifts, it's a good beginner program, the main complaints about it tend to be lack of core work and ignoring cardio. As a beginner you'll get results from pretty much anything as long as you're consistent.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been working out a lot recently. Tweaked my diet as well the last month and according to some highly inaccurate measuring device at my gym I lost 1,2% fat and gained 1,5 kg muscle mass. At 10,7% body fat now. But I feel broken.

So tired. Slept 6 hours tonight, but as always I wake up 0500/0600. My body is hurting like ****. I am supposed to prepare for a triathlon and run 6-7 miles with a friend in a few hours, but I think that might just be the end of me 😂

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

What do people do to find out their body fat %?

I have some scales, which say I'm around 20/21% body fat. But I generally look pretty skinny, so I don't know how I'm supposed to get down to the 10-12% body fat that a lot of places recommend without looking like a skeleton!?

Weights are crap. I am using some resistivity measurements, but they are kinda crap as well methinks. I suspect your best options are: 

1) old fashioned caliper. 

2) go to an athlete competence centre and listen to what they can offer. Most gyms use bioelectrical impedance analysis, which is what I use, but I honestly think a caliper is way more accurate.  

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

The best way to measure body fat is by hydrostatic testing (dunking you in a vat of water and measuring how much is displaced), DEXA scans and calipers when measured by a professional also quite accurate. 

easier to just use something like this:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/army-body-fat

U.S Army method calculates from your neck and waist measurements and is fairly accurate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I have some scales, which say I'm around 20/21% body fat. But I generally look pretty skinny, so I don't know how I'm supposed to get down to the 10-12% body fat that a lot of places recommend without looking like a skeleton!?

Adding muscle can lower your body fat % pal, as long as you don't gain a lot of fat alongside it of course.

On 20/04/2019 at 17:02, kurtsimonw said:

I use electronic scales that also tell you your body fat. In the past I've used calipers.

Getting something accurate is hard. What you need is to find something that measures you consistently, even if you're not sure it's right. That way you can monitor that you're making progress.

Then use the mirror to decide when you need to stop. If what you're using to measure says you're 12% nut you know from looking in the mirror that you're not, then carry on. And vice versa. If they say you're 25% but you know you're less then you stop.

Crucially it's what it says now compared to a few months ago.

• Like 1

Just did a manual test by measuring stomach and neck. Got 15%. Quite a bit more than the BIA 10.7%. 15% is probably correct as it confirmed by comparing my body to pictures online. 

Oh well, time to step up and reach that 10% by 2020. It's gonna be tough! 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Been setting a few PR's lately. Over the board really, except deadlift and squats. I am a fairly small chap so nothing major lifting, but still nice to see progress. Currently clocking in at 69 kg (kinda moving between 66-70) at 170 cm. 

Doing sets at 60-70 kg benchpress, probably 80 kg RM. Sets at 110 kg deadlift, still way off my record at 150 kg. I hate squats, but back on sets at 70 kg now which is okey. Think my PR is around 95 kg but that was many years ago with 20 kgs more on my body. 

At least I am getting quite good at body weight exercises 😂

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

30 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Gotta say a 2 hour gym session every other day is tiresome. 

Am I the only one feeling fatigue? Every 2 months or so I need a break so badly. 

2 hours really isn't necessary at all, I know semi pro bodybuilders (who are also roided to ****) who do no where near that and generally train for 45mins - 1 hour a day. In fact the only person I've ever known to train that long is someone who competed in the UK's strongest man! For me personally I train for no more than one hour and increasing less than that 4-5 times a week. Whilst there's no magic number, 2 hours is overkill for the vast majority of people. Along side being unnecessary from the standpoint of size/ strength It's also just a massive waste of time there's much better things one can do than spend that long in a gym.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â