Gym Routine

olboydave

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ok cool! I will try a few lifting sessions where I do cardio last. 

Whichever way you cut the cake if you are hitting cardio hard you won't have enough left in the tank to get anywhere near the maximum out of your weight session and conversely if you are giving your all when lifting weights you won't have much left in the tank to do cardio.

Depending on what kind of program you are following you don't want to be lifting more than 2-3 times a week which, depending on your other commitments, should hopefully leave you adequate time to do cardio sessions as standalone work outs.

I went and saw a personal trainer about getting into a routine to increase my overall fitness and athleticism for basketball.

He told me to go home and sort out my protein intake before I thought about adding to my training.

He said as I was already training at elite level with my club, not much could be added until I was eating at least 100g (I think it was a 100g) more protein each day.

I really should've finished my Physical Education class in high school. I have very little understanding beyond taking someones word for it.

Always thought you considered it by grams/ kg. From what I've read from the Norwegian centre of sports excellence anything above 3 grams/kg is pointless. 

Since my calori intake is quite low atm, I've done a protein shake each morning the last 10 months. Still not sure whether it actually has any effect. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you want to build muscle then 1-1.5g of protein per pound of bodymass per day is a good intake.

So if you're 200lbs, eat 200-300g of protein in a day.

I'm just under 90kg so thanks for that!

Har my first leg day with a new routine yesterday. Needless to say I am unable to sit on the toilet today. 

Hoping I am able to do my upper body tomorrow, but right now I am so broken haha. 

#greekgodbodysummer2019 

• Like 1

Ok have now tried reducing my warmup from 20 min row to 5 min row, to see if I had more energy and better lifts. 

Absolutely no difference. Same lifts, same frequency and same kcal burned. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ok have now tried reducing my warmup from 20 min row to 5 min row, to see if I had more energy and better lifts. 

Absolutely no difference. Same lifts, same frequency and same kcal burned. 

Everyone's different. So if it works for you then go for it.

Personally I know that if I did 20 minutes hard cardio as a warm up then I wouldn't have the energy left to do my biggest lifts properly. Especially if they were similar muscles (squats after cycling for example)

If you can then go for it. 

I am fat. 

No longer just 'a bit overweight', but actual fat.

I'm 2 1/2 stone over my fighting weight and 2 1/4 of that is on my stomach. 

I'm 13 months away from 40 and I need to do something. 

I'm going to get cracking on Monday. 

Reckon I can drop a stone in a month with a decent diet and some HIT. If it's going well I might hit the weights after that.

I've just made a 'goodbye' visit to Walter Smiths and got myself some sausage rolls and scotch eggs. One. Last. Hit. 

Edited by wazzap24

People normally don't want advice so I rarely bother telling them, but coming from someone who dropped 20 kg in 12 months and 12 kg in less than two months (IIRC), it's a bad idea to do a new workout regime and a diet at the same time.

I've done sports my entire life, and after starting with weights in 2009/2010, I transformed. I went from 62 kg pre military to 89 kg in Uni. Needless to say I wanted to shed some fat. I tried keeping my gym routine while eating healthy, but I didn't drop more than to 85'ish kg. Then I decided to go hard diet and while doing it I hardly had energy to go to work. I cut the gym for 6 months while eating protein shake for breakfast. 130 kcal. Salad for lunch 500 kcal. Then I ate some Skandinavian thing I don't know what's called in English. Ryvita is something similar I guess? Normally had 4-6 of these with cheese for dinner (roughly estimater 100 kcal a piece. And that was my daily intake. 

And right now I've maintained the habit of eating little while going back to the gym. 

My point is just that losing weight is far easier done with a hardcore diet than gym and a diet. I would never have gotten slim again if I didn't drop working out until I felt I had the right mass. 

By all means, working out is healthy, so I am not dissing that. I am just saddened by so many people I know that would have much better results with discipline in the kitchen intake than trying to become a perfect healthy human in the gym AND in nutrition. 

However you do it, diet is by far the most important thing. I'd disagree with Kenji when he says you shouldn't do diet and gym. I think that absolutely works. BUT do what's right for you. If you find it easier to just diet, then go for it.

But the overall message is right, just gym or exercise without changing the diet rarely works, unless you do an insane amount of exercise. Fat loss is done in the kitchen, not in the gym.

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I am fat. 

No longer just 'a bit overweight', but actual fat.

I'm 2 1/2 stone over my fighting weight and 2 1/4 of that is on my stomach. 

I'm 13 months away from 40 and I need to do something. 

I'm going to get cracking on Monday. 

Reckon I can drop a stone in a month with a decent diet and some HIT. If it's going well I might hit the weights after that.

I've just made a 'goodbye' visit to Walter Smiths and got myself some sausage rolls and scotch eggs. One. Last. Hit. 

I always say it, cos it works for me. Determine what your daily allowance of calories is to lose weight and write down what you’re consuming. Any exercise, say a 30 minute jog, use an app or something to estimate how much you’ve burnt off and write that down too. 

It’s a handy way of keeping track of your progress, with the side affect of almost guilt tripping you if a quick jaunt to Walter’s tempts you. You won’t want to write it down, so you won’t eat it.

Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

However you do it, diet is by far the most important thing. I'd disagree with Kenji when he says you shouldn't do diet and gym. I think that absolutely works. BUT do what's right for you. If you find it easier to just diet, then go for it.

But the overall message is right, just gym or exercise without changing the diet rarely works, unless you do an insane amount of exercise. Fat loss is done in the kitchen, not in the gym.

People are different so I won't claim there's a set of rules everyone has to follow, but I think you're making it really hard for yourself if you are working your arse off in the gym, while trying to eat less than you normally do. It's really shit to live on calori deficit as it is. Doing it when your body wants to recharge and rebuild is even worse. Dieting and a workout routine seems to be for people who are already quite far along. If you are only trying to get some proper weight loss going, I'd say 100% diet focus. 

But as I said, I guess everyone are different. 

But back to complaining. I've had some really really bad nausea lately. I keep thinking it's because of my workout regime and lack of calories, but I'm not sure. Anyone experienced this? I feel really weird about it. I've never been car sick in my life. Twice the last week I've been car sick. And I took a flight the other day and got airsick as well. Never ever experienced before. 

Went home from the gym today and got really nauseous again. Had to go off the metro cause I thought I was gonna throw up. Weird as ****. 

Working out and dieting at the same time isn’t a problem, or at least it wasn’t for me. I lost 18 kg in 2 1/2 months back in 2017. I cut calories quite heavily, counting everything I ate (get a decent app for this). I’d have oatmeal with raisins and cottage cheese for breakfast, tuna on rye toast for lunch, and then dinner was whatever I wanted but I weighed my portions and only ever had one serving (750 cals max). I’d snack on carrots and took absolutely zero cals from drink (water and Pepsi Max only). No chocolate, no candy, no alcohol, no fast food. 

Then I’d run (or walk fast) about 10k every day. For the first month I was off work, which helped, and I had to take my then two year old son out for his lunchtime nap anyway, which made it easier to start with. After about a month, I was able do to a sub 60 min 10k for the first time in about 5 years, which was a huge win for me.  

On July 1 2017 I was at 104 kg (191 cm). By mid August I was at 95 kg, and by mid September I was at 86 kg. I’ve heard people say that rapid weight loss isn’t sustainable, but I’m still sitting at 84-85 kg and I feel I can eat whatever I want and I only run about once a week on average. 

Long term, the most important thing is to change your diet. I think simply getting used to smaller portions and not stuffing my face in food if I eat something I like is the main reason I’ve stabilized my weight at a level I’m comfortable with. 

As Stevo says, do what’s right for you. Personally, I get a kick out of going all in on it and really pushing myself, experimenting with what I’m physically capable of achieving. It became almost like my own little science project. If that’s not for you, then doing what I did isn’t a good idea. You’ll more likely give up after a week, if you’re not fully motivated and prepared to go a little crazy with it. But if you have to choose, definitely start with diet. That’s where you will get the best results.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

V nice. That's radical calories each day though. A rough oatmeal breakfast estimate is 300 (possibly 450 kcals with raisins and CC) a portion. Each rye is about 50 cals, so with tuna it's max 100 cals each slice. Dinner at 750, that means you probably had 1500 cals a day. Jogging 10 k is around 800 kcals I guess. So running at 700 cals each day. That's brutal. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

V nice. That's radical calories each day though. A rough oatmeal breakfast estimate is 300 (possibly 450 kcals with raisins and CC) a portion. Each rye is about 50 cals, so with tuna it's max 100 cals each slice. Dinner at 750, that means you probably had 1500 cals a day. Jogging 10 k is around 800 kcals I guess. So running at 700 cals each day. That's brutal. 

For two weeks, it was. But after that, honestly, it was fine. I’ve long since increased my daily cals, obviously, and stopped counting once I hit my target of <90kg. I have no evidence to back it up, but I’m guessing my diet decreased the size of my stomach, meaning I simply can’t eat as much as I used to, and my running habits somehow reset my metabolism (which had previously been kind of slow), which means I really don’t feel I have to watch my weight anymore, which I’ve always had to before, even back when I was still playing football. 

The downside to all this is that I did lose a bit of muscle mass, which was inevitable really. 

8 hours ago, Michelsen said:

For two weeks, it was. But after that, honestly, it was fine. I’ve long since increased my daily cals, obviously, and stopped counting once I hit my target of <90kg. I have no evidence to back it up, but I’m guessing my diet decreased the size of my stomach, meaning I simply can’t eat as much as I used to, and my running habits somehow reset my metabolism (which had previously been kind of slow), which means I really don’t feel I have to watch my weight anymore, which I’ve always had to before, even back when I was still playing football. 

The downside to all this is that I did lose a bit of muscle mass, which was inevitable really. 

So weird you're saying this. I wasn't at 700 kcal a day, but I reckon I was probably around 1000-1200 (probably most closer to 1200 though. But my experience was exactly as you put it. The first 2 weeks was awful, but after that I also felt adjusted to it. And for some weird reason the longer I did the diet the less food it felt like I needed. Almost like my stomach shrunk or something haha. 

When I started up lifting weights again after 6 months'ish, it was hell though. While I lost a lot of fat, I clearly lost a lot of muscle as well. I'm back around where I used to be now in terms of lifts, but I still way 20+ kg less, which is pretty cool.

If I have one regret in terms of dropping weight it was not doing accurate measurements of my waist, arms, chest, neck etc. so I could have seen how my body actually changed. All I can do now is look at old pictures and laugh of a double chin and bulging shirts and jackets looking too small. 

Â