Gym Routine

olboydave

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah I am thinking about gainers, just scared of getting fat again 😂

Two scoop protein shakes in Norway are 130 kcal. What kinda big ass spoons do you guys use haha. 

I think a 30g scoop of my protein shake is about 115 calories.

10615587-1624622685922230.jpg

35g of protein, 61g of carbs, 446 cals per scoop

i dont use it thats way too much for me, to be fair i dont use any shakes any more couldnt see the point and didnt really enjoy them, still try and get a lot of protein through chicken and eggs but only about 100-150g a day now

Ok figured out the shake confusion. It says two scoops (30 grams) equals 30 grams. I assumed it ment that two scoops together weighs 30 grams. I weighed it and one scoop weighs 27 grams. So one shake is indeed around 200+ kcal. 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2019 at 10:39, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah I am thinking about gainers, just scared of getting fat again 😂

I'm exactly the same 😂

Now I'm 190 / 79kg from 97kg and i am terrified to pile it back on.

Just monitor your weight weekly. If you're lifting heavy weights regularly and you're putting on less than a pound a week then you're probably fine.

You will inevitably put a little bit of fat on unless you're absolutely perfect, but nothing a quick cut at the end of your bulk won't get rid of.

If you're putting on more than a pound a week then you're probably overdoing it.

24 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I normally do 12 reps on most sets.  Will I build just as much volume by doing 5-6 per set on bigger weights? 

I'd certainly incorporate some lower reps higher weight sets into your routine, but 8-12 is a decent range for building size.

I personally do pyramid sets. 4 sets for bigger muscle groups like chest or back (12 reps, 10 reps, 8 and 6) and 3 sets for smaller muscle groups like biceps (10,8,6) with the weight increasing on each set (where possible). But I'm always on a cut because I'm a fat word removed so I don't have much evidence for that being more effective at building muscle than other methods.

Probably the best success I had in building volume was German Volume Training. But it's hard and boring so definitely not for everyone!

Edited by Stevo985

Volume drives growth, frequency drives volume. 

I've had a good amount of success combining strength and 'hypertrophy' days in the same week. For instance on a Saturday I bench in a very low rep range with my 'top set's' being a 3x3, on a Tuesday I take more a GVT style approach and bench 10x10 with ~ 90 second rest in between. 

My chest/ delts/ triceps have never been bigger and I've never been stronger on the bench. I had similar success taking this approach with squats until tendinitis flared up chronically in both knees, meaning I can only really do 3x3 heavy squats once a week with very low volume.

Not saying this would work for everyone and certainly not a beginner but it has delivered for me at my relative experience. 

• 2 weeks later...

Leg day done. Started logging the work out in an app called strong. Gonna add that to my Garmin Connect and I am pretty covered methinks. 

Been doing a lot of hangups the last fra months, did a type of narrow chins today for a laugh and I instantly felt it used different muscles. Really strange as I thought it was pretty similar to hangups. 

Guess it might be cause the grip I used for the chins was kinda narrow and angled inwards (for some reason). Maybe that just makes me use different muscles. They are the same used in the picture in the link below.  

http://www.gymprofessor.com/exercise-index/biceps/reverse-grip-pull-ups-chin-ups/

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

5 hours ago, a m ole said:

Leucine tastes vile, doesn’t it

I went through the BCAA phase in my teens, spending lots of money on BCAA mixtures and the individual one's like Leucine. Unless you are a professional bodybuilder or professional athlete, or at least, at a competition level in either, I'd say you're totally wasting your money, the margins you are working at don't really necessitate blowing money on BCAA's IMO. As a natural lifter and a hobbyist, a good diet and smart training plan is absolutely all you need.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I went through the BCAA phase in my teens, spending lots of money on BCAA mixtures and the individual one's like Leucine. Unless you are a professional bodybuilder or professional athlete, or at least, at a competition level in either, I'd say you're totally wasting your money, the margins you are working at don't really necessitate blowing money on BCAA's IMO. As a natural lifter and a hobbyist, a good diet and smart training plan is absolutely all you need.

that’s fair, thanks for the insight. I’m using it to support my football recovery and vegetarianism but will keep a sharp eye on whether it’s actually helping.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd try out creatine again tho. First time I tried it I noticed nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing. 

Since then I've changed my diet quite drastically, so I thought maybe I'd give it a new go and see if I can experience any differences, but I doubt it. We will see :D

Â