Gym Routine

olboydave

Anyone here go to the gym before work? I’m tempted to put some serious effort into the gym as I need to develop some self discipline and this seems like a healthy and risk free way of doing so, but don’t want it taking over my life. Before work seems to be the best way of doing this, but not sure how easy it’ll be to adapt to this lifestyle from my current laziness.

1 minute ago, Carlos_the_third said:

Anyone here go to the gym before work? I’m tempted to put some serious effort into the gym as I need to develop some self discipline and this seems like a healthy and risk free way of doing so, but don’t want it taking over my life. Before work seems to be the best way of doing this, but not sure how easy it’ll be to adapt to this lifestyle from my current laziness.

I do. It's horrible the first few times, especially at this time of year when it's the difference between waking up in daylight or travelling to the gym in darkness.

At my gym, it's definitely worth it though, I have the choice of going before work, at lunch, or after work. After work is pointless, it's far, far too busy. Lunchtime is tolerable, a handful of other people and I sometimes have to share equipment. I usually have the entire gym to myself first thing in the morning, though. I'd recommend at least trying it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Carlos_the_third said:

I do too. It's a revelation.

Yeah it's a big shock to get yourself out of bed an hour earlier or whatever it works out as, but to get your workout out of the way before work is amazing. It's great to finish work and know you don't have to do anything, it's all done.

My advice though would be to make it part of your daily routine. So do it every day, even if some sessions are just cardio or casual sessions.

If, like me, you cut it down to 3 days a week it's way too easy to wake up on a Monday and say "nah I'll go tomorrow instead" and then you end up waking up on wednesday with 3 gym sessions to do in 3 days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Those that train of a morning what time you getting up? To train of a morning I'd be looking at training at about 6am as like to be in work by 7:30 even though I can start any time up until 10am. 

I'm up at 5:30, starting my workout at 6am for 45-50 minutes. Aiming to be out of the gym at around 7. Work for 8. I'm lucky that the gym is a 2 minute drive from my house.

It's tough, but I used to get up at 6am anyway to have breakfast and watch the news etc. So it was only half an hour earlier for me to get up.

It's a lot harder at the moment because of the cold, it takes some talking myself round when I open my eyes :D 

But it's so much better than having to come home, eat, sit on the sofa and then drag myself back out to the gym again. I couldn't do that anymore.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Those that train of a morning what time you getting up? To train of a morning I'd be looking at training at about 6am as like to be in work by 7:30 even though I can start any time up until 10am. 

I did it a while back. Was a lovely feeling when you went to work. Everyone you met looked like zombies while you feel like you've got a headstart. 

Pretty hard the first days mind. Especially my cardio was brutal. 

I had to be at my gym 0600 to make it work, but it's rather nice cause you got the place for yourself. 

• Like 1

Just now, markavfc40 said:

@Stevo985 fair play to you mate. I struggle this time of year as go to work when it's dark and get in when it is dark and have to really push myself to train. I might give the mornings a go.

It is very tough. I started the early mornings in about April last year and it was much easier as it went into the summer. Bright, warm mornings. As it went into winter, November and December I'd as good as given up. Went every now and then but fell out of the routine again.

Back on it now, another holiday or two coming up this year so trying hard.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I used to get up at 4:30am and be in the gym by 5:30m (in Brum City Centre - 24 hour gym). Couple of hours then off to work for a shower and breakfast. 

Takes discipline! 

That was years ago, I just sit at home now eating biscuits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

I used to get up at 4:30am and be in the gym by 5:30m (in Brum City Centre - 24 hour gym). Couple of hours then off to work for a shower and breakfast. 

Takes discipline! 

That was years ago, I just sit at home now eating biscuits. 

I just don't know if I could do it. It sounds a good idea now while I am sitting here eating a bit of cake with Emmerdale on but I am not sure how much of a good idea it would seem when the alarm goes off at 5:30am, it is dark and even a minute extra in bed when you have work on the horizon seems like a treat.

I struggle this time of year full stop though. It takes me weeks to get out of the eating habits I picked up over Christmas and I have to really push myself to exercise not helped by it being dark and cold when I go to work and dark and cold when I get back.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

To be fair I don't think working out in the morning is for everyone. It was decent for me, but I am very much a morning person. 

I think to have decent effect of your workout you have to go to the gym when your body is ready, and while for some people that is 6 AM, for others it may be 8 pm. People are just different in that sense. Why work out 6 AM if you are gymming at 70% of capacity when you can hit the gym 8 AM at 100 % of capacity. Do what feels natural, but either way even if you are a morning person, the first few times you workout early it will be painful. Especially cardio. I normally did it before breakfast - guess that made it even worse. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

To be fair I don't think working out in the morning is for everyone. It was decent for me, but I am very much a morning person. 

I think to have decent effect of your workout you have to go to the gym when your body is ready, and while for some people that is 6 AM, for others it may be 8 pm. People are just different in that sense. Why work out 6 AM if you are gymming at 70% of capacity when you can hit the gym 8 AM at 100 % of capacity. Do what feels natural, but either way even if you are a morning person, the first few times you workout early it will be painful. Especially cardio. I normally did it before breakfast - guess that made it even worse. 

You're right, but most people don't have the luxury of choosing whatever time they want to hit the gym.

I'd love to go at 8am but work means I can't.
Also I'm positive that if I went to the gym at 6pm as opposed to 6am then I'd have much more energy and have a better workout. 

But for all sorts of reasons (working late sometimes, gym being too busy, plans after work, lack of motivation) going to the gym at 6pm wouldn't (and hasn't in the past) worked for me at all.

My two choices are basically 6am before work, or 7-8pm in the evening. I tried the latter for about 18 months and it just didn't work for me. I couldn't commit to it regularly enough.

So I think it has to be a combination of what's best for your body and what's convenient for you.

i started with a 6am class, actually found it helped get me out of bed and i was getting to work earlier, problem now is with where i work, yesterday was ok so did 6am, today i had a down the M42 meeting at 8am so left my house at 6.20, tonight i drive to epsom so will go to the hotel gym (or i will be in a pub) tomorrow morning hotel gym before work, tomorrow night drive home and play football, thursday i tend to miss the morning session because football knackers me, football thursday night, gym friday 6pm, gym saturday 10am, again saturday if i dont go to the gym i will sleep all morning so it helps

its all over the place, the most enjoyable thing for me is working from home at going at 10.30am or 3.30pm but i cant get away with it most of the time

sure i've said this elsewhere but i found that if i go to the gym in the morning i then lose the dieting discipline in the day, if i know I've done the gym for the day then i am more likely to eat shit for lunch whereas if i have the gym at 6pm or football i find it easier to stop myself eating sugar and carbs

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

sure i've said this elsewhere but i found that if i go to the gym in the morning i then lose the dieting discipline in the day, if i know I've done the gym for the day then i am more likely to eat shit for lunch whereas if i have the gym at 6pm or football i find it easier to stop myself eating sugar and carbs

It's weird how it all effects us differently. For me I'm the opposite. Going in the morning sort of gets me up for it and I end up being more disciplined. It's like I don't want to waste the session.

Whereas if I went in the evening, then halfway through the day I might realise I have to work late and decide I'm not going to the gym. Then i think "Ah **** it it's a bad day" and end up eating bad food.

The logic is totally backwards but that's how my brain works :D 

yeah i know what you mean, half way home stuck in traffic and the brain chirps up "you will have 3 minutes to get changed, get out the door and get down the gym....knock it on the head....get a kebab instead"

missing an evening gym session is almost certainly ending up in shit eating for me, best kebab in kiddy (well cookley) was right next to where i played football so every time its cancelled i guarantee i will be in there

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

I saw one of these food shows on TV (Eat Well for Less or similar, can't remember which) and they stood outside a gym and offered people Krispy Kreme Donuts as they came out of the gym.

The amount of people who took them was crazy.

Fair enough if someone lifting weights or doing resistance stuff took one it's different as you're building muscle so extra calories isn't necessarily counteractive, and going to the gym isn't necessarily all about calories.

But still there would be a lot of people just burning calories in the gym, yet they were taking probably 4-500 calroeis worth of donuts.
They may as well have stayed at home.

Ok nutrition opinions needed. I am assuming I need about 2000 kcal on my days of working out, assuming. I really don't know. I am fairly muscular, relatively speaking, about 170 tall, 66-68 kg. No idea about my fat percentage. Probably around 10-12.

My problem is that on days I work out I struggle getting enough kcal. Breakfast shake 130 kcal, lunch 500 kcal, a few nuts before the gym (say 100 kcal), post work out dinner one of two. Chicken with noodles and/or veggies or 6 rye with cheese and fish. Around 600 kcal. Shake 130 kcal. More nuts (maybe 100-200 kcal). That's roughly 1500-1850, or in that ballpark. My workouts are around 550-650 kcal. That means I am effectively on 1000-1350 kcal on my gym days. 

I've tried eating more, but after my main 600 kcal dinner and a shake I am stuffed. Today I ate 4 extra Rye with cheese to add some extra, but it feels weird cause I feel so full I am about to vomit. So what should I do in this scenario? Is it smart to eat more than I feel the need for? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I wish I struggled to eat enough calories! :D 

If your goal is to build muscle then yes you should force yourself to eat more calories. For your body to grow it needs a calorie surplus. You can't add muscle if you're not eating enough calories. 

Or rather if you're stuffed then you should find some higher calorie food to have instead of your normal food. Have some peanut butter on your rye, for example. lots of calories, good fats. Have some higher calories veggies like sweet potato with your chicken instead of (some of the) greens.

Or have a large protein shake after your main meal. It won't really fill you up but it will simultaneously give you some extra calories and some valuable protein. A 2 scoop shake with water will be around 200-250 calories and probably give you 40g of protein at least.

Or get some protein bars and have them as a snack in the middle of the day. You can get pretty small bars so they shouldn't fill you up much but they'll probably have a couple of hundred calories in there.

As long as you make it clean calories then you'll be fine.

I was joking in my first line, but only half. I have an absolutely huge appetite. I could eat 1500 calories without even touching the sides. So my problem with working out has always been keeping my body fat low. I'd love to be in the position where I have to have extra protein bars in a day to hit my goals :) 
But then I guess people who are the opposite probably think the opposite too!

Edited by Stevo985

Â