Gym Routine

olboydave

I peaked at 3 PPS for 5 reps last year, injuries and laziness have combined to drop me back to around 120kg for 5 at the minute.

Ha !

Never seen this Thread before, had quite a chuckle reading about you healthy so and so's - well done the lot of you !

Not really related, but a bit related, a quick note to say "make the most of It !!"........

Sadly in 1987 my knee was demolished, my lung partially collapsed,  and a very active sporting life of regular Rugby, Football, Golf, Tennis and more was crushed......since then Ive had regular stabs at getting fit but less and less luck - last time I joined a Gym I quickly got a groin hernia and a stomach hernia - the latter has put me off any gut related/bending exercise forever.  Last year got an Exercise bike, thought at least that'd do it, as following a breakdown my weight had rocketed from an unhealthy 17 Stone to an unfeasible 23 Stone - but sadly it quickly exacerbated a slowly developing case of rheumatoid arthritis in my dodgy knee and now I can only walk with a stick !! AND the weight is still there ........so enjoy it guys, I envy you !!

Edited by terrytini

41 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Do you go back to a lower rep routine after? If so did you notice any difference? i.e. had you become stronger or weaker on the big lifts? 

Must admit I found it fun today, mainly cos it's something new and radically different than I've done before. My only worry is that my bench and squats become weaker at lower reps as a result, but then, if I gain more mass that will make it easier to deal with. 

I don't think it affected my strength at all, positively or negatively. 

I noticed extra size, particularly in the chest, but strength was pretty much unaffected.

• Like 1

OK GVT on leg day, **** brutal. Somehow managed to squat 105kg (60% of my 1RM) for 10x10. After 5 sets I could have given up, managed to grind out two more and had to belt up for the final 3. 90 second rest between sets went out the window for the last 2 or 3, more like 2 to 2.5 mins rest, I expect this to improve over time. This is basically extreme cardio for me, heart rate jacked up to levels it never reaches as a result of the intensity. 

One good thing I've noticed is that I don't get the 'raw' feeling I usually get in my knees and elbows as a result of heavy lifting. 

What are VT'ers thoughts on skipping ? I am quite a hefty bloke 18 stone but quite tall and it's mainly belly fat.........anyway, as part of my gym routine i picked up a skipping rope and going from being delighted if i could do 4 or 5 consecutive jumps i am now annoyed if i do less that 40 in one go.

For me, it's wrist technique :blink: but timing more so. I'm nowhere near as quick/good as your average boxer would be as part of their routine but i really enjoy skipping and it sure does work up a good sweat.

53 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

OK GVT on leg day, **** brutal. Somehow managed to squat 105kg (60% of my 1RM) for 10x10. After 5 sets I could have given up, managed to grind out two more and had to belt up for the final 3. 90 second rest between sets went out the window for the last 2 or 3, more like 2 to 2.5 mins rest, I expect this to improve over time. This is basically extreme cardio for me, heart rate jacked up to levels it never reaches as a result of the intensity. 

One good thing I've noticed is that I don't get the 'raw' feeling I usually get in my knees and elbows as a result of heavy lifting. 

That happened to me.

To obey the 90 second rest period strictly I had to get the weight way down. Much lower than I estimated.

7 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

What are VT'ers thoughts on skipping ? I am quite a hefty bloke 18 stone but quite tall and it's mainly belly fat.........anyway, as part of my gym routine i picked up a skipping rope and going from being delighted if i could do 4 or 5 consecutive jumps i am now annoyed if i do less that 40 in one go.

For me, it's wrist technique :blink: but timing more so. I'm nowhere near as quick/good as your average boxer would be as part of their routine but i really enjoy skipping and it sure does work up a good sweat.

I'm by no means an expert on cardio lol, but I can imagine skipping, if not done properly, with incorrect footwear and being done a hard surface, could be pretty ruinous on your joints. The limited times I have done cardio I must admit I've gravitated more toward using a cross trainer as I think this is less harsh on your ankles and knees. But could be totally wrong on this as I have little clue about cardio!

More gems "overheard at the gym" (that's my gameshow)

Yesterday I heard a guy who seemed to be straight faced claiming to his friend that he could beat Anthony Joshua in a boxing match.

Now I don't know much about boxing, but given Joshua is the new World Heavyweight Champion, and this guys was about 5 foot 5, I'm guessing that one wouldn't happen :D 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

More gems "overheard at the gym" (that's my gameshow)

Yesterday I heard a guy who seemed to be straight faced claiming to his friend that he could beat Anthony Joshua in a boxing match.

Now I don't know much about boxing, but given Joshua is the new World Heavyweight Champion, and this guys was about 5 foot 5, I'm guessing that one wouldn't happen :D 

Would be even worse if he was talking about this in between doing quarter squats or half reps on the bench. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Would be even worse if he was talking about this in between doing quarter squats or half reps on the bench. 

Half squats. I lol'd

• Like 1

On 2017-3-2 at 13:17, V01 said:

Age 35   Male

Weight: 15st 12lbs - 101kg

Height: 5'11.6" - 1.82m

Ideal weight: 9st 9lbs to 13st  - 61.2kg-82.8kg

BMI: 30.5

Ideal BMI: 18.5 to 25

Body fat: 23.8%

Ideal: 16.1 to 25.6

Bodyfat mass has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg > 37.9kg > 36kg > 32.4kg > 32.8kg > 31.1kg > 25.5kg > 24kg

Ideally it should be 16.2 to 25.8kg

Seems I forgot to add in last month's figures:

Age 35   Male

Weight: 15st 8lbs - 99.1kg

BMI: 29.9

Body fat: 25.7%

Leading to today's:

Age 35   Male

Weight: 15st 9lbs - 99.6kg

BMI: 30.1

Body fat: 23.9%

Bodyfat mass has gone from 49.1kg > 44.4kg > 42.7kg > 37.9kg > 36kg > 32.4kg > 32.8kg > 31.1kg > 25.5kg > 24kg > 25.4kg > 23.8kg

Ideally it should be 16 to 25.4kg

I missed 5-6 weeks of lower body due to a knee injury, this also coincides with my new job. I don't have a set rota so I'm having irregular sessions forcing me back onto stronglifts.

Started at 40kg press, 100kg dreadlift, 60kg bench, row and squat, as of today I've succeeded at 47.5kg press, 132.5 dreadlift, 67.5kg bench/row, and 80kg squat. The lifts themselves aren't getting any easier but I'm recovering quicker in between sets. That said I was blowing like John Terry's mum after my last set of deadlifts today.

• Like 2

GVT going fairly well. Although legs still slightly sore from Sunday's workout, should be fine for tomorrow's workout. This morning I upped the bench to 82.5kg for 10x10, handled it fairly well and kept within the rest periods, even better considering I never train in the morning and it was on an empty stomach, the rest of the workout was very tough though as I was pretty drained, need to get carbs in me in the future if I work out this early.

Started reading 'The Lean Muscle Diet' by Alan Aragon and Lou Schuler. Really interesting book.

I'd say that I know a lot of the stuff they talk about already but it's nice for it to be reaffirmed whilst also learning some new stuff.

• Like 1

I've read that as well.

I was a little disappointed in that I thought Aragon would have had a bit more input. His section could've fitted onto a leaflet! Also, for a similar reason to you, it was basically just a confirmation of things that he's talked about openly countless times on social media and nothing new it you've read his research review or something like 'Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle'.

It was also a lot more training-based than I'd expected and the routines were written by Schuler (who's a journalist) and very much targeted at beginners.

It's a good read for the lay-person and if you need an introduction into flexible dieting and it's practicalities, though. 

16 minutes ago, JB said:

I've read that as well.

I was a little disappointed in that I thought Aragon would have had a bit more input. His section could've fitted onto a leaflet! Also, for a similar reason to you, it was basically just a confirmation of things that he's talked about openly countless times on social media and nothing new it you've read his research review or something like 'Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle'.

It was also a lot more training-based than I'd expected and the routines were written by Schuler (who's a journalist) and very much targeted at beginners.

It's a good read for the lay-person and if you need an introduction into flexible dieting and it's practicalities, though. 

Exactly this. It's a 'nice' read.

Something I didn't know was that about 20-30% of protein calories are burned while the body is digesting and metabolising the protein.

Stronglifts has broken me.

I've dropped to two sets of squats a week instead of the recommended 3. I just can't do it. It's absolutely killing me. 

So now I'm doing squats every other workout, and the one I skip I still do squats, but I do light sets only and then add in a couple more accessory lifts so I'm still working hard for the hour.

I know you're not supposed to but my legs couldn't take it anymore. 

Since Christmas I've been quite "relaxed" with my diet to gain some strength and size so I decided that I'd try and get really lean again this summer...

**** me, I'm struggling! I started sensibly with a few weeks at maintenance and have worked my way slowly into what's meant to be a 10-15% deficit to start off with but already it's going to shit! I'm ravenous within seconds of finishing meals. I just want to eat everything in sight and my self-control has been pitiful :(. I'm not even eating particularly nice stuff to balls things up. Raisins and cheese slices were what got me tonight. I'm probably in a surplus for the past few days and I'm already practically drooling at the thought of Cake Friday at work tomorrow!

I've always had a huge appetite but have been pretty good when it comes to dieting. I have so much sympathy for people who don't have the self-control to stop themselves eating more - particularly as I now seem to be one of them!

30 minutes ago, JB said:

Since Christmas I've been quite "relaxed" with my diet to gain some strength and size so I decided that I'd try and get really lean again this summer...

**** me, I'm struggling! I started sensibly with a few weeks at maintenance and have worked my way slowly into what's meant to be a 10-15% deficit to start off with but already it's going to shit! I'm ravenous within seconds of finishing meals. I just want to eat everything in sight and my self-control has been pitiful :(. I'm not even eating particularly nice stuff to balls things up. Raisins and cheese slices were what got me tonight. I'm probably in a surplus for the past few days and I'm already practically drooling at the thought of Cake Friday at work tomorrow!

I've always had a huge appetite but have been pretty good when it comes to dieting. I have so much sympathy for people who don't have the self-control to stop themselves eating more - particularly as I now seem to be one of them!

Are you doing much cardio mate as rather than a hard line diet dramatically upping your cardio may work better for you. It does for me.

I am in the middle of dropping 12lb in 4 weeks and burning about 7000 cals a week doing cardio which equates to a couple of lb and then losing another pound by reducing my daily maintenance cals by 500. The beauty of spending so long doing the cardio, I do mine by running, means I am out the house so gives me less time to be in and out of the kitchen picking.

That's the thing - I'm not even at the hard line diet stage yet - I'm still eating at about 90% maintenance! I've got pretty lean on many occasions and never experienced hunger like this even when my calories were at rock bottom. My maintenance calories are pretty high (around 3650) so I'm still eating more than a lot of people would gain weight on but the thought of eating any less is horrific. So I think you're right and that upping the cardio is a good call.

I'd guess that I'm somewhere around 15% body fat at the moment and had been aiming for s return to the glory days of 7-8%... But that looks a long way off now! 

Â