Gym Routine

olboydave

I've started lifting weights again. And boy are my arms tired etc. I'm back at it for the past 6 weeks or so and in that time I've gone from being able to do one 28kg dumbbell bench press rep to being able to do 4 of them. I have quadrupled my bench press in six weeks. And I owe it all to Scientology and 'The Irish Method'.

I lay under a barbell today for the first time in I'd guess a year. There was 30kg on the bar so I said I'd give it a go while waiting for some arsehole who had draped his towel over an incline bench press like a German tourist. I remember as a younger man thinking 50kg was a pretty good bench to knock out on the barbell and today I pushed it up like I'd since moved to the moon. So that was nice.

I may make the switch from dumbbells to barbells, but I go to the gym alone and would not dare approach someone to spot me. I was spotted once before by a friend of mine who wore the same shorts to the gym every day. He was keen on getting his legs as close to my head in any spotting manoeuvre. It was unpleasant and I'm not overly keen on repeating the experience. 

I'm going to a gym in a pretty rough area. Twice I've been stopped in the middle of a set to be asked if I'm using the bench I'm currently lying on. I'm not really exaggerating. I mean I am slightly. One guy asked if I'd be done soon. While I was mid rep. Today I left my weights on the bench and went to lie down and a guy came over and asked if he could do a set. So he sat on the other half of the bench to my weights and started doing some ab exercise. And then I'm the one watching women use a bench as a surface to hold their water while they use the Smith machine, or watching three guys sit on three benches and just chat away. Or the people who hold a bench with a towel so they can do standing curls for 15 minutes beside it. Or the woman who used the assisted pull up machine by putting her leg on the assisting seat and pushing it down towards the ground over and over again. Like an insane person.

What's my point? I'm not sure. I'm considering going to one of the men who work at the gym and asking them to show me how to do squats and dead lifts

On 26/02/2016 at 19:43, V01 said:

Who?

Macros? I don't actively track calories but since October I've been trying to lose weight by cutting down on the rubbish and probably hit a deficit 4 or 5 days a week. 

I should have said the 3 nights will be in a row (hence the leaning to PPL) 

For pre workout is 10 minutes on the rowing machine enough or should I doing something specific depending on what groups I'll be training?

I don't know how much I weigh, but since October I've dropped from a 48in waist to 42/44 and I'm starting to see slower progress.

Do I need anything apart from flat trainers, water and a towel for my actual workout?

Well done on losing the inches already, fat loss will naturally slow down as you plateau and as there is less fat to lose. Try and mix it up a bit with a few different exercises or rep/set combinations to keep your body guessing and don't get disheartened by it.

Make sure your trainers don't have cushioning in if doing leg work, if they do take them and do it in your socks.

As JB said above keep any cardio you do to after lifting weights and not before (light warm up doesn't count) as it affects your strength, endurance and technique.

Maybe considering getting one session with a PT to make sure your form is good. Remember lighter weights with good form is better than heavy weights and bad form.

If you start looking for supplements I would suggest creatine monohydrate for strength and muscke building and CLA's for fat loss.

Keep up with the healhy eating (minimising alcohol and sugar helps) but allow yourself the odd treat day.

Already cut out the drinking and sugar from the hundreds of mugs of tea everyday and the mini picnic I'd bring to work out of boredom. It has been a massive struggle, I love food. I have a policy of being able to cheat as often as I want and it's been easier to maintain eating properly more often than it was when I tried being stricter with myself. I'm not really interested in supplements, I'm not aiming for those types of gain. 

Started to lose faith in PPL before I've even been to gym, I'm leaning to doing a 2 day split of Stronglifts 5x5 using all the exercises but I may be over-estimating my ability. 

Squat 5x5 Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5 Barbell Row 5x5 Deadlift 1x5  Monday and Wednesday with rest on Tuesday

Or

Squat 5x5, Bench Press 5x5, Barbell Row 5x5 Monday

Squat 5x5, Overhead Press 5x5, Deadlift 1x5 Wednesday

And some form of HIIT on Tuesday

It suggest starting with low weight and adding 2.5kg per workout, but starting with an empty bar just doesn't seem right. I hope the gym is empty when I go.

Squat, Bench Press, Overhead Press: 20kg/45lb. That’s the empty Olympic bar.

Deadlift: 40kg/95lb. The empty bar with a plate of 10kg/25lb on each side.

Barbell Row: 30kg/65lb. The empty bar with 5kg/10lb on each side.

Edited by V01
words

Went for a run tonight for the first time since October. Felt really good. Proper stretching at my age is critical. Trying to knock off about 10 lbs this spring and maybe* join a gym to tone up. But I'll be happy just maintaining a healthy weight. 

I'm not sure i'd recommend CLA to anyone above 12% body fat and not on its own. 

CLA encourages fat to be used as fuel and acetyl l-carnitine helps to transport that fat into the mitochondria of cells to be used for energy. Combining those two with a thermogenic forms the supplement industry term of 'the fat loss triangle' all of which are utterly useless until your diet and cardio regime is dialed in.

Basically it's something that sounds like you'd want to be using if you you're overweight or trying to drop weight but the body already produces this stuff naturally. It's only really necessary to supplement this stuff when trying to get down to sub 10%, where your body is obviously going to be restricted of certain nutrients and probably starts to become deficient. 

Saying that, doesn't stop me from taking them both but I wouldn't suggest they are needed for anyone really.

Edited by sexbelowsound

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

I'm not sure i'd recommend CLA to anyone above 12% body fat and not on its own. 

CLA encourages fat to be used as fuel and acetyl l-carnitine helps to transport that fat into the mitochondria of cells to be used for energy. Combining those two with a thermogenic forms the supplement industry term of 'the fat loss triangle' all of which are utterly useless until your diet and cardio regime is dialed in.

Basically it's something that sounds like you'd want to be using if you you're overweight or trying to drop weight but the body already produces this stuff naturally. It's only really necessary to supplement this stuff when trying to get down to sub 10%, where your body is obviously going to be restricted of certain nutrients and probably starts to become deficient. 

Saying that, doesn't stop me from taking them both but I wouldn't suggest they are needed for anyone really.

CLAs have always seemed to work for me and I notice when I'm not on them.

But that could just be the placebo effect.

I've tried L-cartinine and thermo's before but never seemed to see benefits of L-cartinine (I've read that it requires a three month bedding in period and I've never kept faith that long) and I never felt right on thermo's.

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

CLAs have always seemed to work for me and I notice when I'm not on them.

But that could just be the placebo effect.

I've tried L-cartinine and thermo's before but never seemed to see benefits of L-cartinine (I've read that it requires a three month bedding in period and I've never kept faith that long) and I never felt right on thermo's.

Can't really agree, nor disagree. I'm sure it works for some, for others its a placebo but that being said its the reason why I personally wouldn't suggest it for beginners.

There's absolutely no need to not still enjoy your food when in a calorie deficit. Adherence is the key to success so flexible dieting is the way forward IMO. It's not quite as extreme as 'If it fits your macros' but similar in principle. Hit your protein and fibre goals and generally choose minimally-processed, whole foods then have at it with the remaining calories.

I include all sorts of stuff in my day-to-day diet these days which would've been out of the question a few years ago. 10-20% of your daily/weekly calories can come from whatever you want with no negative impacts on your health or weight (as long as you stick to your calorie goals, obviously). I cringe when I look back at the way I used to eat. Bordeline disordered with all the shit like brown rice and dry chicken breast. Disgusting. 

I have most of my favourite foods quite regularly now. Just not always in the portions I would like... Although I do manage to fit in a pizza and a full tub of ice-cream most weekends :) .

Oh and despite all the hysteria in the media, sugar is not toxic or inherently bad for you. The only problems with it is that it has no nutritional value, so provides no benefit (apart from tasting good!) and is very easy to over-consume.

This is an excellent visual representation of the importance of dietary factors by a researcher called Eric Helms. Very, very smart guy. Obviously the most important at the bottom, to least important at the top.

image.jpeg

I agree with JB largely in how I eat.

I hit my calorie goals and y protein goals, and basically let the rest sort itself out. I could probably get better results if I hit every macro perfectly, but I love eating. I'd be more likely to fail if my diet was that strict.

This is a compromise

The approach is summed up perfectly  in a book called 'The Lean Muscle Diet' by Lou Schuler and Alan Aragon. It's specifically targeted to the lay-person but totally evidence-based. It's very easy to read and apply.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, V01 said:

Started to lose faith in PPL before I've even been to gym, I'm leaning to doing a 2 day split of Stronglifts 5x5 using all the exercises but I may be over-estimating my ability. 

Squat 5x5 Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5 Barbell Row 5x5 Deadlift 1x5  Monday and Wednesday with rest on Tuesday

Or

Squat 5x5, Bench Press 5x5, Barbell Row 5x5 Monday

Squat 5x5, Overhead Press 5x5, Deadlift 1x5 Wednesday

And some form of HIIT on Tuesday

First day back aka how naive was I/rude awakening.

Squat 5x5 @ 30kg

Bench Press 5x5 @ 20kg

Barbell Row 5x5 @ 30kg

Made a few schoolboy errors

Didn't notice the panel to put my pin in to get in so I stood by the door like a lemon for 5 minutes until someone came out/

Walked there, great idea until I tottered out bow legged, by the time I was nearly home it must have looked like a monty python routine

They lock the changing rooms between 12 and 5, you can get changed in the disabled toilet or the disabled shower cubicle, got bored of waiting and went home for a shower.

Wednesday is Squats and Deadlift, I'm definitely driving.

4 hours ago, V01 said:

First day back aka how naive was I/rude awakening.

Squat 5x5 @ 30kg

Bench Press 5x5 @ 20kg

Barbell Row 5x5 @ 30kg

Made a few schoolboy errors

Didn't notice the panel to put my pin in to get in so I stood by the door like a lemon for 5 minutes until someone came out/

Walked there, great idea until I tottered out bow legged, by the time I was nearly home it must have looked like a monty python routine

They lock the changing rooms between 12 and 5, you can get changed in the disabled toilet or the disabled shower cubicle, got bored of waiting and went home for a shower.

Wednesday is Squats and Deadlift, I'm definitely driving.

Sounds like somebody goes to Pure Gym.....

Yup. I'm not gonna complain for a tenner a month though, they have all the equipment I need.

Walking down the stair today was fun.

Â