Gym Routine

olboydave

The dream is having a training room, Long term it would work out cheaper but space and the initial cost is prohibitive. I wonder if I could get away with kicking the missus out of the bedroom and getting rid of the bed.

I could get by with a Bench, Power Rack, Barbell and Plates. 

Still struggling with sore legs from Monday starting to worry it's gonna affect my lifts, got squats and deadlift tonight absolutely dreading it.

I'm slowly getting there with the home gym but it has cost a lot of money and does take up a lot of space. I do prefer going to the gym though as I'm more likely to do more, I have more options and can get someone to spot me when needed.

Maybe try doing dead lifts on back day instead, I struggle to do both squats and DL on the same day.

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, it's full body every workout and you add 2.5kg to your last workout weight. It's my own fault for not doing a better warm up, did 10 minutes of cardio after walking to the gym, just gonna do the exercises at lower weights from now on. 

Workout A: Squats 5x5, Bench Press 5x5, Bent Over Row 5x5

Workout B: Squats 5x5, Overhead Press 5x5, Deadlift 1x5

You don't need a spotter with a power rack (and you don't get get them trying to T-Bag you on bench presses)

Gonna try some bodyweight squats and a hot shower pre gym to see if that loosens me up a bit.

The dream is having a training room, Long term it would work out cheaper but space and the initial cost is prohibitive. I wonder if I could get away with kicking the missus out of the bedroom and getting rid of the bed.

I could get by with a Bench, Power Rack, Barbell and Plates. 

Still struggling with sore legs from Monday starting to worry it's gonna affect my lifts, got squats and deadlift tonight absolutely dreading it.

Tell me about it, trained legs on saturday morning and still got DOMs

• Like 1

I'm gonna get one of those foam roller things, I hear they are amazing for easing soreness.

I work Thursday to Sunday nights so I get a long recovery period from Squat and Deadlift day, and the stairs mean it will be an active recovery.

• Like 1

I'm gonna get one of those foam roller things, I hear they are amazing for easing soreness.

I work Thursday to Sunday nights so I get a long recovery period from Squat and Deadlift day, and the stairs mean it will be an active recovery.

I had to soldier on and train back this morning as i wont get into the gym until monday now. I did chest and delts on monday aswell. Feel sore as now

4 minutes ago, V01 said:

I hear that, can't even get all the way down on bodyweight squats, looking like I'll be munching ibuprofen come gym time.

If your muscles are that sore then skip the gym and go another day. It's better to miss one session then to tear a muscle and do serious injury and subsequently miss a lot of sessions.

Listen to your body.

V01 Put a box or bench underneath you so you can make your ass hit it at the right angle. That way if you fail you will just end up sitting down normally. 

Im doing Stronglifts as well but only do workout B on Wednesdays. On Monday's I have an arms and chest day and Friday's I do legs. 

My workout B is squats, deadlifts, OH Press. Added in chin-ups and leg raises for good measure. 

If you are struggling with squats, why not check out some Bulgarian split squats - start with just the bar and add 2.5kg each set. 8 reps on each leg. Go up to 37.5/40kg on your first go. It's horrendous, but feels so damn good. You'll be strengthening each leg so when it comes do doing regular squats, you might find it more comfortable. 

Just a thought anyways. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

Just now, Tayls said:

@V01 Put a box or bench underneath you so you can make your ass hit it at the right angle. That way if you fail you will just end up sitting down normally. 

Exactly what I do.

Basically a box squat, but I don't sit all the way down, I just touch my arse on the box to make sure I'm hitting the right depth.

So easy to cheat, even if you don't think you are.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly what I do.

Basically a box squat, but I don't sit all the way down, I just touch my arse on the box to make sure I'm hitting the right depth.

So easy to cheat, even if you don't think you are.

Yep for sure - best not to sit properly as you will start to rely on it being there too much. Just a touch of the cheek is what you are looking for! Hah! 

Btw - what does the @name thing do? Does it do anything outside of VT? 

I was probably going too low on squats Monday. I'm gonna go tonight and skip squats, I'll make an attempt at deadlifts but I'm not confident. 

Bulgarian Split Squats can suck a dick, my quads are where all the soreness is.

12 minutes ago, V01 said:

I was probably going too low on squats Monday. I'm gonna go tonight and skip squats, I'll make an attempt at deadlifts but I'm not confident. 

Why are you not confident? What you lifting at the mo? 

Started Stronglifts on Monday after not going for over 10 years. Did 30kg Squat, 20kg bench and 30kg Row. I'm confident in the actual weight it's just the soreness in my quads is restricting my range of motion, the stairs are a nightmare on the way down. I should have started with squats at 20kg but there were people around and I got embarrassed at only using the bar.

I'm not going to risk any lower body work today, just Overhead (20kg) and Bench Press (22.5kg). If I'm feeling brave after that I might have a shot at Bent Over Row (32.5kg) too.

Edited by V01
extra words

Ended up doing 22.5kg on Overhead and Bench Press, could have probably done heavier but didn't want a repeat of what happened Monday. Gave the Bent Over Row a try and it was fine, realising I wouldn't have to bend any lower for deadlifts I did them too.

10 hours ago, V01 said:

Started Stronglifts on Monday after not going for over 10 years. Did 30kg Squat, 20kg bench and 30kg Row. I'm confident in the actual weight it's just the soreness in my quads is restricting my range of motion, the stairs are a nightmare on the way down. I should have started with squats at 20kg but there were people around and I got embarrassed at only using the bar.

Don't get embarrassed about not being superman and lifting a huge amount, everybody starts somewhere and if you keep at it the weight will increase. Everybody has to lift small weights at times, I remember reading an article about James Haskell (the England rugby player) being in the gym and struggling with 1kg dumbbell curls after injuring his bicep.

Are you stretching after the workout?

The pain is just DOMs. Nothing to worry about. I certainly wouldn't work less hard in the gym because of it. 

In 2 weeks you'll be back into the swing of things and the DOMs will be gone (well, the crippling DOMs will be gone. you should always have a bit of DOMs, imo)

Â