What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

I only bought this in the junk shop because the records were £5 each or £10 for 3 so why not

It really is a proper curates egg.

Given the musicians on this record it should be brilliant, those with an interest in the post-punk era would definitely be interested just from the line up... Pauline Murray (and her partner at the time Robert Blamire) from Penetration. The invisible Girls were John Cooper Clarke's backing band but thats not who they really were, they were Martin Hannett (Joy Division / Other Factory Artists revolutionary producer), Steve Hopkins (bit of a Manc musician gadfly, later worked with Nico, Happy Mondays, Morrisey) and Dave Rowbotham (Durutti Column / The Mothmen  - this band is a rabbit hole that goes via On-U Sound to Simply Red in the end), John Maher (Buzzcocks) and the mercurial Vini Reilly himself (Durutti Column)

You read all that and you're expecting something wildly different / angry / innovative / witty at the very least interesting

Nope, it's a shite sugary aimless almost pop album and it's not even well produced (which considering Chris Nagle is engineering and Hannett producing is a bit of a shock in itself)

Even the cover is by Peter Saville wouldn't even be close to his best work

Its got all those ingedients and its rubbish :D Someone actually paid £25 for a good copy of this once (Its usually around the £4 mark) and it's been reissued quite a few times. WHY?????

LTQ1NzYuanBlZw.jpeg

• Shocked 1

Proper Indie-pop album

Eligible Bachelors by The Monochrome Set, which contains the magnificent Jet Set Junta. Another one of those bands that really should have been more successful than they were. First pressing from back in 1982, textured sleeve and plays as well as the day I bought it.

Oh you might hate them for this but Johnny Marr is on record as saying that without the Monochrome Set, The Smiths would never have existed both Marr and Moz were big fans

image.jpeg

spacer.png

Lots of Queen-hate on here but (IMO) this is a great album, possibly their best.

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

spacer.png

Lots of Queen-hate on here but (IMO) this is a great album, possibly their best.

Which one is it?!? Image not showing (I’ll take a punt of Queen II?) 

Just now, theboyangel said:

Which one is it?!? Image not showing (I’ll take a punt of Queen II?) 

Sheer Heart Attack (I'll change the image)

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Sheer Heart Attack (I'll change the image)

Yep, that is a great album (tin hat at the ready) in fact, they were all great up until Hot Space (but still have a soft spot for their later stuff too) 

• Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

Yep, that is a great album (tin hat at the ready) in fact, they were all great up until Hot Space (but still have a soft spot for their later stuff too) 

Bought the wife the coloured vinyl box set a couple of years back, lovely looking set.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7w7c4mog3bx01jja93d

but what about the vinyl?!? 😬

Yeah, I've seen worse "sets" ;)

Anyway onto this:

spacer.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Stone Cold Craz y is their best song

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Good band but I wouldn't have necessarily put Porcupine Tree in your collection?

Why ever not? I'm from the progressive rock generation. Got all their albums, and Wilson's solos (although I've been a bit underwhelmed by his more recent efforts). 

Â