What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

The missing link between Brian Wilson and Steven Wilson - Jonathan Wilson. I think Rob would like this (it even has naked ladies on the inside cover). 

Jonathan-Wilson-Fanfare.jpg

Great album - one of my favourites from last year.

The missing link between Brian Wilson and Steven Wilson - Jonathan Wilson. I think Rob would like this (it even has naked ladies on the inside cover). 

Wow...first track on Fanfare could in fact be Dennis Wilson!

Thanks for the tip Moonster

Great album - one of my favourites from last year.

Shocked.gif

This is not right.  Not right at all.

• Like 1

One of my albums of 2013 - also loved his debut album 'Gentle Spirit'

One of my albums of 2013 - also loved his debut album 'Gentle Spirit'

Next on my shopping list. Only just realised he played the UK last year and I missed it. Grrrr.

joy_division_-_unknown_pleasures_blk_men

One of my periodic attempts to try and understand the appeal of music from after the 1975 watershed. 

The only thing I'd ever really heard by JD was "Love Will Tear Us Apart", which I thought was not TOO bad, so I thought I'd give this "classic" a go. 

Jesus, it's shite. Like someone's taken The Damned, Can, The Velvet Underground and The Doors (not the greatest set of influences to start with, TBH) and bled out all the tunes, talent and interest. Yes, it generates "atmosphere" - an atmosphere of claustrophobia and depression. Why would I want to experience that?

Peter Hook: worst bass player ever (at least Sid Vicious had a bit of manic enthusiasm). 

Still, it's got a Factory Records hipster cover, so I guess it must be cool. 

Because when life feels that way it's almost uplifting to listen too.

I adore UP, fantastic album.

Because when life feels that way it's almost uplifting to listen too.

Not for me, it isn't. 

It has to be the stuff you grow up with. If I want to wallow in self-pity, I'll turn to an album like Blood on the Tracks or Late for the Sky. 

Melancholy, but not... irritating. For me, natch. Your mileage may vary. 

Melancholy, but not... irritating. For me, natch. Your mileage may vary.

Have you been listening to hipster beat poets again?

You grok me, daddio. 

• Like 1

...One of my periodic attempts to try and understand the appeal of music from after the 1975 watershed. 

The only thing I'd ever really heard by JD was "Love Will Tear Us Apart", which I thought was not TOO bad, so I thought I'd give this "classic" a go. 

Jesus, it's shite. Like someone's taken The Damned, Can, The Velvet Underground and The Doors (not the greatest set of influences to start with, TBH) and bled out all the tunes, talent and interest. Yes, it generates "atmosphere" - an atmosphere of claustrophobia and depression....

I applaud you for leaving your self imposed pre '75 safety blanket. You picked the wrong JD album, though. I think you're largely right about it - it's a bit of a lumpy mess, though "She's lost control again" is (IMO) fantastic. Mind you I like all the "influences" and you don't.

Closer, on the other hand, would have been the JD album I'd recommend to anyone. That's perhaps even more gloomy, though, but much, much better performed, written, produced and is a genuine work of excellence.

I am actually quite shocked that I don't posess a single JD album. I love "She's lost control", so will be downloading Uknown Pleasures this evening. I think I'll also get Closer whilst I'm at it.

Moody, depressing, introspective music I do love. I can't think why I haven't listened to them more.  Plus Ian Curtis was from Macclesfield.

• Like 1

T_dance_sing_and_listen.png   T_dance_sing_listen_again.png  T_dance_again.png

Bruce Haack and Miss Nelson all on cassette because I just wanted to hear the music and the vinyls sell for too much money. The songs sound a lot like the stuff released on the Electronic Music for Children and The Way-out record for children.

Â