• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I don't get why no announcement tonight either.

If it's all done and dusted, which it must be for Lerner to fly off home, he wouldn't do that with things still to iron out, why not announce it? Even if there's still a few things to be worked out, why leave the fans in this much turmoil? Surely they'd just want to get it out the way and try to move on?

If the facts before you don't add up then perhaps one should consider the alternatives......

:detect:

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. He has won a shit load of silverware, both as a player and a manager. Far more than Moyes

2. I think 'amazing' is a fair and pragmatic descrition when you analyse the context. McLeish had a 70% win ratio in the 2007 campaign. Compare that with

Vogts - 2002-2004 - 25%

Smith - 2004-2007 - 44%

Burley - 2008-2009 - 21%

3. Bringing through young defenders. A reasonable assertion considering the job he's done with Dann and Johnson. He was also a top class defender in his own right and has had good defensive records at his previous clubs.

4. Everything I've read and seen about him indicates he's a winner What can I say. He's had some downs, but the guy's trophy cabinet speaks for itself

Dispassionate, pragmatic reasoning?

"Shitload" - well it's more than one.

"Amazing" - it's 70% and everyone else that I choose to compare with has much less. Does that percentage necessarily mean 'amazing'? Don't think so.

"Young defenders",. He was one and so were some of his previous players. WTF? No 'reasoning' there.

4 - blimey, that's the best you can do? Grim stuff.

Look, McLeish may turn out to be successful at Villa and for the sake of our club I hope he does.

The kind of post that you make with your claims of it being 'dispassionate", "realistic", "pragmatic" and whatever else you've dreamt up in the interim just further the idea that people talk the kind of cobblers that supports themselves rather than the football club they claim to when they wander in to the spotlight.

If it's all done and dusted, which it must be for Lerner to fly off home, he wouldn't do that with things still to iron out, why not announce it? Even if there's still a few things to be worked out, why leave the fans in this much turmoil? Surely they'd just want to get it out the way and try to move on?

If the facts before you don't add up then perhaps one should consider the alternatives......

:? Strong hunch or have you herd a whisper ?

Don't worry remember this is still one big smokescreen before he brings in Ancelotti and gives him a £100 million war chest :D

Stop mentioning that name!

It's bad enough with SSN mentioning it every 10minutes when they talk about the Chelsea job. :cry:

:? Strong hunch or have you herd a whisper ?

Wishful thinking is more likely :winkold:

Here's Fergies take on it all from the Independent:

LINK: http://tinyurl.com/5vk6ym9

Villa fans should learn to love McLeish – Ferguson

By Phil Shaw

Friday, 17 June 2011

Sir Alex Ferguson has urged Villa fans to back Alex McLeish when he becomes their new manager

Sir Alex Ferguson last night pitched into the furore over Alex McLeish's imminent arrival as Aston Villa manager, urging Villa supporters to set aside their misgivings over his previous association with Birmingham City and get behind him.

Ferguson, who as Aberdeen manager oversaw McLeish's development into an outstanding defender for club and country, expressed confidence that his fellow Glaswegian would win over the doubters who have demonstrated against reports of his appointment as successor to Gérard Houllier. Hailing McLeish, who is expected to be announced as new Villa manager this morning with Birmingham reportedly receiving £2m compensation, as "conscientious" and "a good communicator", the Manchester United manager said: "I've known Alex since he was 18. He was always intelligent, always inquisitive and always asking questions. These to me are essential ingredients for being a successful manager."

Ferguson added: "As a player, he was always a leader on the pitch and always worked hard. In all his managerial positions, he has always had to work hard, too. His CV is good. He managed Rangers, he managed Scotland, he won trophies and he's achieved what he has as a manager on limited resources. He's done a phenomenal job. By the time Alex took over at Rangers they weren't spending the kind of money which they previously had, so he did a great job. In all his jobs he's had to deal with that kind of situation of making do with what you have and making the best of it, and that's a quality. Villa represent the same type of challenge."

The negativity surrounding the pursuit of McLeish by Villa's American owner, Randy Lerner, has startled many who were unaware of the depth of hostility between supporters of Villa and Birmingham, to whom the former emailed his resignation last Sunday. Ferguson insisted clubs had to stand above such parochialism. "If you look back 40 years ago, the emotions of supporters were far different. They're very emotional nowadays and they're more personal about their football club. You see many examples of that, particularly at Villa in the past few days. But as a club, you can't be swayed from the decisions you have to make. You want to listen to the supporters but you want to listen to the sensible ones and say, 'Look at the manager's CV and look at what he's achieved and, for just one minute, forget about the fact he was at Birmingham'.

"At the end of the day what will count is this: can he do the job for Villa? It doesn't matter whether there are five against him, 50 against him or 500 against him, because the experience and the ability he has got, believe me, he will prove he can do the job. And that's what it's all about.

"Once the fans are confronted by the reality that he's the manager, they will step back and say, 'Well, we've made our complaints and voiced our opinion, let's see what happens next and give the man his chance'. There are some good players at Villa and overall it's a really good set-up. It takes time to get a manager to get what you want out of your team and the Villa fans need to give him time.

I'm fed up of the media and people in football telling us that McLeish is a good appointment. Wont someone just have the balls to come out and say that actually, it's a pretty shit appointment and a **** disgrace?

I have kids. They draw conclusions based on their immediate emotions far more often than than adults do because adults have learned to reason.

People are emotional throughout their lives not just when they are children. Having emotions and being emotional does not equate to being childish. It is quite possible to be emotional and mature as it's also possible to be dispassionate and childish.

We have a much better team than he had. His defence had bad injuries and didn't have the depth of squad to cope. He was a top class defender and has an excellent reputation as a defensive coach

We had injuries to defence and I'm sure plenty of other teams had similar defensive injuries. If his defence couldn't cope, for whatever reason, it makes no sense to claim it's his strength.

Confused Strong hunch or have you herd a whisper ?

I'd heard rumours before hand yes..... but since this all blew up.. from Villa side No not really.

People who were formally connected to the club I can tell you are absolutely in shock at all this I can tell you.

It's radio silence at VP as MM posted... Facebook post on protest page - rumour staff have had to sign non disclosure contracts

not to name the manager... admittedly that was a FB rumour

now that makes NO sense if true..if it's McCleish because the world & her aunty expect us to be sign him IMMINENTLY...

There's so many things that simply don't add up as I've posted about before...... so yes the more I think about the whole affair, the more I get a strong hunch things are maybe not what they seem....

Maybe I'm totally wrong and if I am we'll just have to accept it all & get on with things cos there's not much we can do about it...

But put it this way... I honesly hand on heart wouldn't be surprised if there's a twist to the ending to put it mildly...

Mr Lerner's function is to meet the candidate, assess whether they are a suitable match, presumably offer and discuss the basic outline of a contract, discuss potential transfer targets, and he's out.

Paul Faulkner and the lawyers would then take over and work out the finer details.

So nothing strange about him going home and there being no immediate announcement.

I'd heard rumours before hand yes..... but since this all blew up.. from Villa side No not really.

People who were formally connected to the club I can tell you are absolutely in shock at all this I can tell you.

It's radio silence at VP as MM posted... Facebook post on protest page - rumour staff have had to sign non disclosure contracts

now that makes NO sense if true..if it's McCleish because the world & her aunty expect us to be sign him IMMINENTLY...

There's so many things that simply don't add up as I've posted about before...... so yes the more I think about the whole affair, the more I get a strong hunch things are maybe not what they seem....

Maybe I'm totally wrong and if I am we'll just have to accept it all & get on with things cos there's not much we can do about it...

But put it this way... I honestly hand on heart wouldn't be surprised if there's a twist to the ending to put it mildly...

The only twist is on the knife that Randy stuck into our backs!

But put it this way... I honesly hand on heart wouldn't be surprised if there's a twist to the ending to put it mildly...

I get the impression they know they've **** up and are just putting their heads in the sand. It is definitely odd though and I would like nothing more than to go onto BBC Sport tomorrow and see the headline "Villa will not appoint McLeish" as the headline. It would really make my weekend and have me jumping around the house with joy.

I think definitely an FB rumour.

I doubt whether Mr Lerner has been near Villa Park all week, and I think if any managerial candidates had been , we would have known via the media.

Mr Lerner's function is to meet the candidate, assess whether they are a suitable match, presumably offer and discuss the basic outline of a contract, discuss potential transfer targets, and he's out.

Paul Faulkner and the lawyers would then take over and work out the finer details.

So nothing strange about him going home and there being no immediate announcement.

Maybe they just wanted to give Randy the chance to get out of the country before they announced it. Be safer in the States?

I get the impression they know they've **** up and are just putting their heads in the sand. It is definitely odd though and I would like nothing more than to go onto BBC Sport tomorrow and see the headline "Villa will not appoint McLeish" as the headline. It would really make my weekend and have me jumping around the house with joy.

Followed quickly by a VT meltdown because the owner is sitting on his hands doing nothing about appointing a manager.. and each potentialcandidate being unsuitable/not good enough.

Followed quickly by a VT meltdown because the owner is sitting on his hands doing nothing about appointing a manager.. and each potentialcandidate being unsuitable/not good enough.

Are you serious? This place will be in Bent meltdown if it turned out McLeish wasn't going to get the job. We'd all then assume it's gonna be Hughes who most of us didn't mind before this McLeish thing reared it's ugly head. After all this Hughes would get a really warm welcome.

Paying compensation for Mcleish is the vomit coating on the shit filled eclaire that is mcleishs appointment.

I honestly thinly the most rational explanation for this is that Randy has an evil twin that has locked the real Randy up whilst he destroys the club