• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a baffling turnaround from the Mclaren business. I will still be getting my first ST next year but I am so unhappy with Mcliesh (not least as its a nightmare to spell!) its untrue.

Think of the managerial situation as like an oven. For the purposes of this analogy, I should point out that my oven goes up to 240 degrees.

When Houllier was appointed there were a few grumbles but for the most part things were fine. I'd say the temperature was about 10 degrees or so. Obviously it gradually got hotter as results were poor right up to the new year. After Sunderland you'd imagine the heat was up to 200. We had that improvement in form and IMO the heat went down to about 100-150. Then we had Man City in the FA Cup, Bolton and finally the Wolves game which I think must have put the heat up to maximum. We were pretty good after that but the heat still remained high until Houllier went into hospital. Regardless of how the summer goes, I think before kick-off on the first game of the season the heat will already be up to 150 at best. God forbid we don't get a good result in that game the heat will be up past 200 already. If that carries on for one more game or two, I expect we'll see scenes even worse than after the Wolves defeat.

What I'm trying to say here is that Randy is willingly appointing a manager who could possibly be under more pressure from the fans after a couple of games than Houllier was after three quarters of a season. That kind of pressure is not good for the team, the fans or the club. On the flip side things could go well but we'll still be in a position like we were with Houllier in February where one bad result and the heat gets turned up immensely. Why Randy is choosing this when there are so many better options out there is beyond belief.

Thank you Woodytom for your kind welcome - made me feel very at home that did. :(

How can my post be full of contradictions - tell me where.

It is how I feel. I hate the idea of this happening, hate it, I would love to say "up yours, I'm quitting this" - but the reality is - if I did, the only person it would hurt is me. Randy Lerner doesn't give a toss if I give up going, my ST money is about 1 seconds worth of TV money.

So I will continue to go, but will NEVER support him or his manager. I will cheer for the team, I will sing "super marc" I will sing ... (well I was going to put another player in, but apart from Albrighton, I can't see many wanting to stay now).

I will NEVER sing for Randy, I will NEVER sing for McLeish - I will not back this decision.

How is that a contradiction. The only contradiction I feel in my heart, I didn't even write down. There is part of me that wants McLeish to fail miserably, so we can all stick two finger up to them, but again, then my head says - who does that hurt - ME.

I can remember feeling low many many times as a Villa fan. Crying as the final whistly blew at Wembley in 2000 , shocked to the core when we went down only a few years after Rotterdam - but I NEVER felt this bad as a Villa fan.

sorry mate, it was meant a bit tongue in cheek!

I think you contradict yourself by saying:

- you dont want Lerner, you wont sing his name, but you dont mind if he sticks his hands in his pocket again like he did with Bent. So do you want him or not? Or just on the days when hes splashing 24m

- you dont want Mcliesh, you wont sing his name, but if we win the champs league your gona celebrate with the team - but not him. The guy who leads that team, the most important part of the team, your not going to include?

Mc Leish should be judged on results alone, at least he wanted the job which is more than can be said about many other managers mentioned on here who did not have any intention of joining Aston Villa or any interest.

I think someone mentioned this slight observation earlier.....

How the heck can AVFC pay £2M compensation to BCFC for someone

who is to quote the only official OS statement on all this a "free agent"????!!

Just to cheer you all up...

From Football365.com

* Only Manchester City and Chelsea have had a net transfer spend bigger than Birmingham in the last two years of the Premier League.

* No club has scored fewer goals than Birmingham in the last two years of the Premier League.

Never mind that Alex McLeish is the former manager of Birmingham City - those two facts alone should scare the bejesus out of any Villa fans seeing the Scot's name at the top of the betting for Gerard Houllier's old job. This is a manager who has spent an awful lot of money building a side that's as dull as elevator music.

There is a myth that McLeish has not been backed in the transfer market by Carson Yeung. While it's true that Yeung never delivered the £50m war chest rumoured in the media upon takeover, he has spent the best part of £40m in two years on new players. Meanwhile, not one player has been sold for a sizeable transfer fee while clubs on similar budgets have sold their biggest assets to balance the books.

Those figures do not include high-profile, expensive loan signings for Alex Hleb, Obafemi Martins and David Bentley last season while the last available wage figures show that in 2009-10 they paid their players £8million more than Wolves despite a lower turnover. All this money has bought a trophy but also the second relegation of McLeish's tenure. And still the media would have you believe that McLeish has been let down by his owners in not backing his vision for the club.

The football has - for the most part - been truly rotten. They have delivered less than a goal a game over the last two seasons and no Birmingham striker scored in the final eight games of last season. For two successive seasons their Player of the Year award has gone to their goalkeeper. No Premier League stopper made more saves than Ben Foster last season - despite playing much of the season behind two central defenders now valued at a combined price of almost £30m.

Even on the final day of the season when victory against an out-of-form, unmotivated Tottenham side would have brought Premier League survival, he selected a 4-5-1 formation designed to avoid defeat and hoped results elsewhere would save Birmingham. His mindset is set to negative and in the end the Blues were punished with their second relegation in three years.

Hands up any Villa fans facing a tedious McLeish future who really wish they hadn't made such a fuss about Steve McClaren?

Sarah Winterburn

Don't see the fuss really; reaction is pretty childish and immature.

At first I was a bit dismayed, but when I calmed down and started looking at his record objectivley I decided he was preferable to, say, Moyes.

He's won a shit load of silverware as a player and a manager (including a major English trophy). He did much better than Moyes in the CL with an inferior team.

He did an amazing job in charge of Scotland (70% win ratio)

His strength is our weakness - defence. If anyone can make the best of Clark, Lijah, Baker it's him. He can build from the back like many great managers would (Ferguson, Mourinho)

His PL record has highs and lows, but there are many mitigating circumstances. Moyes avereages 9th place over 10 years at a stable club with good (though not great) resources and was very nearly relegated- fairly meh.

He's very well respected in football both here and abroad.

Everything I've read and seen about him indicates he's a winner, very determined and pragmatic.

Randy will back him to the hilt so I think he could be a real success.

I applaud the testicular fortitude of Mr McLeish, that is for sure. He knows an awful lot of hate is coming his way from a never ending parade of idiocy, yet he's still prepared to manage our fine club.

I dont particularly rate him as a manager, but he's bery much impressed me as a person from his time at SHA to present

At first I was a bit dismayed, but when I calmed down and started looking at his record objectivley I decided he was preferable to, say, Moyes.

He's won a shit load of silverware as a player and a manager (including a major English trophy). He did much better than Moyes in the CL with an inferior team.

His strength is our weakness - defence. If anyone can make the best of Clark, Lijah, Baker it's him. He can build from the back like many great managers would (Ferguson, Mourinho)

His PL record has highs and lows, but there are many mitigating circumstances. Moyes avereages 9th place over 10 years at a stable club with good (though not great) resources and was very nearly relegated- fairly meh.

Everything I've read and seen about him indicates he's a winner, very determined and pragmatic.

excellent post

Yeah (however, the point being raised above about him being incompetent not greedy may change my perception) , the reason I say that is, at the end of May, I honestly thought, whether we were successful or not, Randy cared for this club, cared for it's fans, cared for it's future, cared for it's history.

I now feel Randy Lerner is just like any other owner, in it for himself, and the money.

So he can shove as much money into the club as he wants - coz thats all I think and want from him now. I don't want a free badge that looks like a postage stamp, I dont want a crap flag. That stuff was OK when I thought it meant something.

But I feel now it didn't mean anything, I think it was done as a distraction to take our mind off more important matters.

So I'll take his money, but he can now shove his "feelings"

Can't believe how the guy would do this to himself, thus, the post above is probably correct. this probably shows he is just inept at running sports teams.

The whole thing stinks

now look here you, there's no call for that kind of optimism and reasoning on an Aston Villa message board

All I care about is results. We won't play like Barcelona, we never will. I don't want to play well and draw or lose. I don't care how we win, I just want to win. I'll judge the new manager on results first and foremost!

I just hope he doesnt bring the small club mentality to the club. Signing Larsson and some average championship players. I hope he goes for the type of calibre players Houllier was after (CL player and top english goal scorer)

The whole thing stinks

Why didn't we just pay compensation for Hughes!

I just hope he doesnt bring the small club mentality to the club. Signing Larsson and some average championship players. I hope he goes for the type of calibre players Houllier was after (CL player and top english goal scorer)

Totally agree.