• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

All I care about is results. We won't play like Barcelona, we never will. I don't want to play well and draw or lose. I don't care how we win, I just want to win. I'll judge the new manager on results first and foremost!

True tho Sam Allardyce would have been a better shout than McLeish then.

More Prem expeience , took Bolton into europe , never took a team down etc

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think someone mentioned this slight observation earlier.....

How the heck can AVFC pay £2M compensation to BCFC for someone

who is to quote the only official OS statement on all this a "free agent"????!!

i dont think you have to be a genius to work taht one out

I must be a bit thick, Please spell it out for me?

Yeah (however, the point being raised above about him being incompetent not greedy may change my perception) , the reason I say that is, at the end of May, I honestly thought, whether we were successful or not, Randy cared for this club, cared for it's fans, cared for it's future, cared for it's history.

I now feel Randy Lerner is just like any other owner, in it for himself, and the money.

So he can shove as much money into the club as he wants - coz thats all I think and want from him now. I don't want a free badge that looks like a postage stamp, I dont want a crap flag. That stuff was OK when I thought it meant something.

But I feel now it didn't mean anything, I think it was done as a distraction to take our mind off more important matters.

So I'll take his money, but he can now shove his "feelings"

Can't believe how the guy would do this to himself, thus, the post above is probably correct. this probably shows he is just inept at running sports teams.

Youve totally lost me. How does this show that Lerner is just in it for the money??

I think someone mentioned this slight observation earlier.....

How the heck can AVFC pay £2M compensation to BCFC for someone

who is to quote the only official OS statement on all this a "free agent"????!!

The whole thing stinks

We clearly tapped him up, but IMO we wouldn't have spoken to him after his resignation if we weren't sure he could act essentially as a free agent due to his constructive dismissal claim.

Our board will know all about constructive dismissal and PL managers :winkold:

I doubt we'll pay any compo. The whole thing is nefarious, but Randy's got his man whilst screwing over our bitterest rivals in the process and also leaving a few mil in the bank for players.

All I care about is results. We won't play like Barcelona, we never will. I don't want to play well and draw or lose. I don't care how we win, I just want to win. I'll judge the new manager on results first and foremost!

Maybe you should watch Stoke City then.

The reason the national team and a lot of the club sides in this country never win anything is because football is now secondary to winning. Do you think Barcelona and the Spanish national team have your mentality?

You may like to watch hoofball every week but in the end football will always rise above it.

However, it takes a certain manager, certain coaching methods and certain players to do this and Alex McLeish will never fit this style so good luck watching dross.

So what time is the press conference for the Moyes announcement as proclaimed by many on here?

Mcleish is a shocker of an appointment and the mere suggestion of Mick mcarthy shows how desperate the place has become.

Having said that the Houllier appointment was always doomed as he is clueless. A former school teacher who drives up the motorway in the wrong direction ffs.

Should have appointed someone young and hungry not some old semi mad school teacher.

And bought players that Bolton fans could have only dreamed about - how on earth did they sign players like Okocka, Campo, Djorkaeff , Anelka

How on earth did he get Nikolas Anelka and Ivan Campo to Bolton ?

It is fair to say, Alladyce is unfairly maligned, and, now knowing what we know, I'd have given him a piggy back to Bodymoor for him to take over.

And bought players that Bolton fans could have only dreamed about - how on earth did they sign players like Okocka, Campo, Djorkaeff , Anelka

How on earth did he get Nikolas Anelka and Ivan Campo to Bolton ?

It is fair to say, Alladyce is unfairly maligned, and, now knowing what we know, I'd have given him a piggy back to Bodymoor for him to take over.

Agreed was saying this to a Hammers fan yesterday

Don't see the fuss really; reaction is pretty childish and immature.

At first I was a bit dismayed, but when I calmed down and started looking at his record objectivley I decided he was preferable to, say, Moyes.

He's won a shit load of silverware as a player and a manager (including a major English trophy). He did much better than Moyes in the CL with an inferior team.

He did an amazing job in charge of Scotland (70% win ratio)

His strength is our weakness - defence. If anyone can make the best of Clark, Lijah, Baker it's him. He can build from the back like many great managers would (Ferguson, Mourinho)

His PL record has highs and lows, but there are many mitigating circumstances. Moyes avereages 9th place over 10 years at a stable club with good (though not great) resources and was very nearly relegated- fairly meh.

He's very well respected in football both here and abroad.

Everything I've read and seen about him indicates he's a winner, very determined and pragmatic.

Randy will back him to the hilt so I think he could be a real success.

now look here you, there's no call for that kind of optimism and reasoning on an Aston Villa message board

I am an optimist though I'd say my reasoning was fairly pragmatic.

When you really care about something is when you're most obliged to be dispassionate in your decision making and it's often surprising what conclusions you draw.

Jesus, Newcastle fans are almost jumping for joy on twitter, you'd have thought Sunderland had been relegated. They've got such a massive chip on their shoulders...you would have thought the embarrassing 6-0 spanking would have calmed them down. Judging by other clubs fans online, it seems they either feel sorry for us or they think we're the biggest laughing stock since Derby under Davis.

I would like to congratulate the board on this spectacular achievement (and the lying as well, masterstroke!).

Does anyone reckon there's brown envelopes of the John Gregory John Fashanu kind knocking around here?

Yeah (however, the point being raised above about him being incompetent not greedy may change my perception) , the reason I say that is, at the end of May, I honestly thought, whether we were successful or not, Randy cared for this club, cared for it's fans, cared for it's future, cared for it's history.

I now feel Randy Lerner is just like any other owner, in it for himself, and the money.

So he can shove as much money into the club as he wants - coz thats all I think and want from him now. I don't want a free badge that looks like a postage stamp, I dont want a crap flag. That stuff was OK when I thought it meant something.

But I feel now it didn't mean anything, I think it was done as a distraction to take our mind off more important matters.

Can't believe how the guy would do this to himself, thus, the post above is probably correct. this probably shows he is just inept at running sports teams.

Youve totally lost me. How does this show that Lerner is just in it for the money??

My post doesn't, but the fact that he bought the club for an unbelievable price of £60m quid, when championship sides were being sold for over 100m (you have to question Ellis's sanity on that one) and he knows that whether he sells now, next year or five years, as long as we are in the PL and therefore guarenteed the TV revenue - he will make, at the very least, quadruple what he bought us for, and maybe a lot more.

He may have spent 100m - but he knows full well he will make it back, and a whole lot more.

Money (and thinking about it, isn't the money he pumped in, in loan form so if he sold us, we would have to pay him back)

He isn;t daft, he isn't a billionaire for nothing. I thought differently, but as the song said "I was blind, but now I see"

My post doesn't, but the fact that he bought the club for an unbelievable price of £60m quid, when championship sides were being sold for over 100m (you have to question Ellis's sanity on that one) and he knows that whether he sells now, next year or five years, as long as we are in the PL and therefore guarenteed the TV revenue - he will make, at the very least, quadruple what he bought us for, and maybe a lot more.

He may have spent 100m - but he knows full well he will make it back, and a whole lot more.

Money (and thinking about it, isn't the money he pumped in, in loan form so if he sold us, we would have to pay him back)

He isn;t daft, he isn't a billionaire for nothing. I thought differently, but as the song said "I was blind, but now I see"

But theres no proof that thats whats happening?

Initially when I heard the reports of AM I felt terrible, not just because he's from sha. but now, for some unknown reason, maybe because he is now part of our club, I'm warming to him and think this could possibly work. Can't wait for first game of the season, rather excited.

When you really care about something is when you're most obliged to be dispassionate in your decision making and it's often surprising what conclusions you draw.

I can't see that the opening gambit of "Don't see the fuss really; reaction is pretty childish and immature." fits with your claims for your point of view or the apparent nonsense in the quote above.

Moyes avereages 9th place over 10 years at a stable club with good (though not great) resources and was very nearly relegated- fairly meh.

My God, nearly relegated? How could the board even think of considering someone who almost relegated a club?

I can't see that the opening gambit of "Don't see the fuss really; reaction is pretty childish and immature." fits with your claims for your point of view or the apparent nonsense in the quote above.

I think the exteme negativity is over the top and not fully reasoned. It seems emotional as opposed to dispassionate (which you could say is childish)

Oh well, off to bed now as have to be up in 4 hours for work.

Will be waiting impatiently for the fixtures to come out in the morning, all I can say is Mcleish and Lerner better hope it is not an opening of Man U (a) , Man C (h) , Arsenal (a)

Coz I am telling you now, if we don't get somewhere near maximum points by the end of August, I will admit, I will be on his back. He will get no settling in period, or le-way from me.

Childish, unproductive, maybe, but thats the truth

Good luck watching dross? You muppet we'll all be watching the same team, Villa. I personally think Tony Pulis and Stoke have done fantastically well in the past two years.

Would you rather we play well a d lose or draw then?!

Maybe you should watch Stoke City then.

The reason the national team and a lot of the club sides in this country never win anything is because football is now secondary to winning. Do you think Barcelona and the Spanish national team have your mentality?

You may like to watch hoofball every week but in the end football will always rise above it.

However, it takes a certain manager, certain coaching methods and certain players to do this and Alex McLeish will never fit this style so good luck watching dross.