• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Even looking at his smug ginger face is making me angry, the fact that he has the gall to take the job......... **** off you ginger clearing in the woods.

I don't get where the guy has ever been smug.

We belted them 5-1, and he commented that we were on a different level.

We beat them 1-0 with (they claimed) a dodgy penalty, and he didn't make a big fuss.

They knocked us out of last season's League Cup and he didn't gloat or crow in any way.

The fact that people don't want him to be our manager, I get. What I don't get is the vitriol and abuse that is aimed towards somebody who appears to be an absolute gentleman both in and out of the game.

I appeal to all of the dissenters to accept what has happened, grudgingly if necessary, and give this gentleman a chance to take us forward in a positive way.

Can I back up what TT has said. I've been speaking to a stockbroker who had dealings with McCleish when he was at Hibs. He said that he always came across as being honest. A rare quality in football!

I think I also read somewhere that leaving SHA is the first time that McCleish has walked away from a club.

You're ignoring the fact that he ditched his home international side for a club like sha. It doesn't get any lower than that.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodbye Bannan, Albrighton, Fonz, Lichaj and Clark.. he will not give youth a chance unfortunately.

Not true. Lerner will have laid out his plan which McLeish would have had to agree to. This plan is allegedly centered around reducing expenditure. So even if we think McLeish is not known for giving youth a chance and even if we think Randy is tightening the purse strings by going all budgety on us, that still bodes well for the yoof because they become the default option. For better or for worse, I think they will get plenty of opportunity.

I hope so.. I think someone like Dann alongside Clark maybe something McLeish will look at.. I also echo the above that Clark may progress alot as a player through McLeish.. though we'll see.

We haven't ever been IN with a shout of the top four. Why do people keep saying this. We should be happy to be in the top 6 (or 7 now really) and that's that. We wont finish any higher, its impossible on the budget we have. Plain and simple.

Forget Champions League, a decent cup and a few memorable victories is all we ever hope to achieve without a sugar daddy. Have absolutely no illusions about that.

So going back four, nearly five years ago when ONeill came in on a wave of feelgood factor, then Doug left and Randy took over, YOU NEVER thought top four was possible. Genuinely!!

You really must be Mr Negative!!

I think clubs like us, spurs, Everton will compete in cycles. I think Man City have put Top 4 out of sight for a while. Spurs seem to now be going through what we have done over the last few years with their best players being poached again (Modric) and drawn out transfer sagas. I know they got CL but I cannot see Bale, Van Der Vaart etc staying if they miss out again, which they will.

Wonder if Mat Kendrick could turn on the Paxman in the PC....

"So last season you relegated your club for the second time in four seasons, you've finished third in a two horse race in Scotland. Congratulations, you must feel like the luckiest man alive?"

i am not entirely happy about this appointment but last season, the better team - player for player (villa) didnt manage to win at all last season against a lesser team (noses) managed by Mcleish.

For one minute, it may have been his tactical nouse that managed to gel his players together to win it. At his disposal, he only had hoofball players so he used it to his advantage - playing to their strengths which is what I seem to recall a lot of people saying we should have done last year and not try tippy tappy stuff.

We have some players that can play both styles and so maybe he can play the tippy tappy stuff with the better players, against the more appropriate teams and when necessary, he knows how to mix it with the more physical teams.

I am yet to be convinced but we need to at least see what he can do and then if by Christmas it is not looking good then we should make feelings known. I feel we will finish top 7 next year.

Very good post. You speak sense sir.

Ill echo what thetrees said aswell...alex mcleish seems like a genuinely nice bloke and the personal abuse is just uncalled for. Its like Houllier all over again...

Wonder if Mat Kendrick could turn on the Paxman in the PC....

"So last season you relegated your club for the second time in four seasons, you've finished third in a two horse race in Scotland. Congratulations, you must feel like the luckiest man alive?"

:lol:

Tho there wont be any press conference

Goodbye Bannan, Albrighton, Fonz, Lichaj and Clark.. he will not give youth a chance unfortunately.

Hopefully Lerner will have driven home the importance of our Yout players in appointing McLeish.

Im sure McLeish is fully aware of the quality of our youngsters and working with them may have played a big part in his decision to accept the job.

Whats giving people the impression hes just gonna ditch them?! I dont understand.

Werent ridgewell and gardner considered kids when he signed them from us?

It almost feels like it is a deliberate choice to spite the fans.

"Which manager could we hire that pisses them off the most?"

I'm still waiting for the General to come on and say "Ha! Gotcha! You didn't actually think we were serious did you?!"

he may even bring the evil that is craig gardner back and i would not mind that one jot! again not my number one appointment and is illogical but this must have been randy's hardest decision ever as it goes so much against the grain it is untrue and he obviously is aware of that. they must seriously rate mcleish and for mcleish to go for it it does show a certain bravery and confidence. it is not an exciting appointment but we need to sit tight and see.

And Birmingham have a terrible youth academy. It's not exactly surprising he didn't use any of their kids. They certainly don't have anyone of the calibre of Bannan, Albrighton or Clark.

And Birmingham have a terrible youth academy. It's not exactly surprising he didn't use any of their kids. They certainly don't have anyone of the calibre of Bannan, Albrighton or Clark.

they used to but they don't now, mcleish gave nathan redmond his debut last season at the age of 16

Ambition. Posted this elsewhere, but wonder what people think

If Moyes was appointed it would be to almost universal acclaim. The more I think about it though, I don't see how Moyes would be any more an ambitious appointmen than McLeish. McLeish was a much better player, has more varied experience, has won a vast amount more, including English honours. Moyes average finishing place in 10 years with Everton is 9th. McLeish's record is one of a winner and he has the ambition to come and manage here in very difficult circumstances. He's the one that seems to be demonstrting ambition, not Moyes.

I know Moyes hasn't been relegated, but he's had a very supportive board at a club with a big fanbase. His transfers are pretty good, though I think iit's a myth he's had to manage on a total shoestring throughout his time there. He's had a lot more money than a lot of other Prem managers.

In all honesty the two seem pretty similar to me, with McLeish having more highs (but also lows). They both have strong reputations in football (Moyes possibly slightly better). With the compo we'd have to pay for Moyes, McLeish seems the better value of the two. I'm very surprised this is the conclusion I've come to!!!

Also: McLeish also has a much stronger record in the CL, getting to the last 16 with a much poorer team than Everton's when they qualified for CL.

Moyes hasn't been relegated but very nearly was in 2003/04

dont have any hatred for mcleish just not the person i wanted to manage villa. In ways more annoyed that randy is going to go through with it understanding full well what the majority of fans think.

We haven't ever been IN with a shout of the top four. Why do people keep saying this. We should be happy to be in the top 6 (or 7 now really) and that's that. We wont finish any higher, its impossible on the budget we have. Plain and simple.

Forget Champions League, a decent cup and a few memorable victories is all we ever hope to achieve without a sugar daddy. Have absolutely no illusions about that.

So going back four, nearly five years ago when ONeill came in on a wave of feelgood factor, then Doug left and Randy took over, YOU NEVER thought top four was possible. Genuinely!!

You really must be Mr Negative!!

The game has changed hugely since then though so its not comparible. Even with MON here i would say we have no chance of CL.