• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Even if you try and look at McLeish objectively and ignore the issue of fan discontent, this makes no sense. He might well be a straight-up character & strong personality, which would be traits the board are after, but is he known for:

-developing youth?

-success in the Premier League?

-good football?

-being able to attract top players from around Europe?

This is a manager who has a team that lacks creativity and goals, who then takes the one talented footballer they had (Hleb) and sticks him on the bench all season.

A manager who plays for a draw in a game they needed to win to survive.

How can he possibly be the best candidate? Even if we've been turned down by several better candidates, there are always more. McClaren was a better candidate, Jol was a better candidate and they've both gone to less attractive jobs. I cannot accept that aren't potential managers out there who aren't at least as qualified as McLeish but without the baggage. It shows either limited thinking (i.e. ignoring anyone who doesn't have Premier League experience) or limited ambition (unable to tempt likes of Benitez).

If they are struggling to find an Experianced Premiership manager, then they WILL appoint McLeish.

Moyes, Benitez, Martinez and Ancelotti may have ALL turned it down.

Its not leaving the Club with many options is it? Who would you want out of the remaining choices? Southgate, Curbishly, McLeish etc? I suppose they are picking the man thats had the most recent experiance of Premiership life.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What else would annoy me more IF we was to appoint Mcleish is the fact that after what was by all accounts a bad season ( Still Top Mids Club :lol: ) the rise in price of the season ticket i have recently renewd

Kick in the teeth to rise Prices & then Appoint Mcleish

I'm fairly sure that this is a superb piece of the club managing expectations.

Make us miserable - and we'll be greatful when appoint someone else!!

:bonk:

Exactly, the silence is deafening.

Which to me says only one thing - we are close to appointing a new manager, I expect an announcement in the very near future.

Whether its McCleish or not, I don't know - however the only logical reason for the club keeping shtum at this time with the Pannu going off it, the media hurling abuse at us from all angles and the fans going insane - is that we are very close to agreeing terms with our new manager.

I'm not ITK, just trying to see the logic in this.

Our club has made one statement regarding the 8 managers we have been linked with so far, and that was because of Dave Whelan's big mouth.

At the moment we should not make any statements as anything from our club will only justify Peter Pan's ranting.

PANNU - "You pay me £5m or I take you to Premier Reague"

FAULKNER - "**** Off."

Surely even our quiet club would have denied these allegations flying around right now, if there was no truth in them. People who think this is all smoke and mirrors still, are seriously clutching at straws.

Well there has been something for the last few weeks.

What do you expect do you want Villa to comment every time Randys plane goes to Corsica.

Where the whole world seems to be at the moment.

Even if you try and look at McLeish objectively and ignore the issue of fan discontent, this makes no sense. He might well be a straight-up character & strong personality, which would be traits the board are after, but is he known for:

-developing youth?

-good football?

This is a manager who has a team that lacks creativity and goals, who then takes the one talented footballer they had (Hleb) and sticks him on the bench all season.

How can he possibly be the best candidate? Even if we've been turned down by several better candidates, there are always more. McClaren was a better candidate, Jol was a better candidate and they've both gone to less attractive jobs. I cannot accept that aren't potential managers out there who aren't at least as qualified as McLeish but without the baggage. It shows either limited thinking (i.e. ignoring anyone who doesn't have Premier League experience) or limited ambition (unable to tempt likes of Benitez).

If they are struggling to find an Experianced Premiership manager, then they WILL appoint McLeish.

Its not leaving the Club with many options is it? Who would you want out of the remaining choices? Southgate, Curbishly, McLeish etc? I suppose they are picking the man thats had the most recent experiance of Premiership life.

Coyle, Hughes, Ranieri.

I'd also rather have Poyet, Zola, Holloway.

-developing youth?

-good football?

Coyle, Hughes, Ranieri.

Id also have Chris Hughton over McLeish.

The Everton ITK's are saying that you never even approached Everton for Moyes as it was such a flat rejection last season.

FWIW i think AM will do ok. Decent with Hibs, Rangers, Scotland and won a trophy with a yoyo club. Yes he took them down but injuries had a lot to do with that. If it was me id rather have hughes and cant seem to unerstand why you havent made a move in that direction.

Actually, I just read the Sky article and it's frankly funny to read:

"I got an email from Aston Villa, finally replying to all of our queries," confirmed Pannu.

"As expected, their legal department said 'now Alex McLeish is a free agent having resigned, we're free to speak to him'. This confirms all suspicions. This shows what has happened.

"Within the first year he (McLeish), or the club who sign him, have to compensate us at £5.4m.

So they were hassling us with e-mails like a jealous ex, and we responded saying that McLeish is fair game. It doesn't mean anything really.

Bluenose and shite manager - 0/10

First day of the new season should I wear my Villa top or a clown suit because we are a circus and the biggest joke in the Premiership at the moment. At least with Newcastle all the fans were United in agreement that Ashley was a knob.

My phone hasn't stopped - one pisstake after another.

So, am I the only person in the world that things McCleish could actually do ok here and is a decent manager?

However, if he were appointed (I don't think he will be) then sadly some elements of our support will work overtime to ensure he is never seen as a success, whatever he does.

Bit like Houllier then

Funny thing is, the people who wanted Houllier SACKED are now the ones who want him BACK!!

Says it all really.

Is it REALLY true that Rijkaard said he'd like the job? Did Hughes REALLY quit Fulham in the hope of the Villa job?

If either of these is true, then I cannot for the life of me see why we would approach McCleish. Money? Even if it costs us £5m to get him?

Dunno if the article from Sunday's Independent has already been quoted, but - although it is merely one journo's speculation - it's food for thought:

Why Villa are forced to look for their new boss on the cheap

By Glenn Moore

Sunday, 12 June 2011

They did not succeed, but when you examine their finances it is easy to understand why Aston Villa decided to pursue Roberto Martinez as their new manager in preference to Rafael Benitez and Mark Hughes.

This week's Deloitte report into football club spending laid bare the high price that Villa's owner Randy Lerner paid in attempting to break into the Champions' League bracket. The imminent departure of Ashley Young to Manchester United for £21 million underscores the fact that he has abandoned that mission.

The American bought Villa for £62m in September 2006. The previous season the club had a revenue of £49m, a wage bill of £38m (76 per cent of income), and had lost nearly £10m, two-thirds of which represented their net loss on transfers. Under David O'Leary they finished 16th.

Lerner set about lifting the club back into the top eight, where they had spent most of the previous decade. That season Martin O'Neill oversaw an improvement to 11th. A year later, Villa came sixth and made £5m profit before transfers as revenue increased to £75m. Wages were a healthy 67 per cent of turnover.

Everything looked very promising. Lerner had even won over the fans with some well-appreciated gestures like refurbishing the pub behind the Holte End. It was time to think big and challenge for the Champions' League.

However, making that next step proved very difficult. In the next two seasons revenue was increased to £91m, but wages rose faster to reach £80m (88 per cent of revenue). There was a net transfer spend of £58m, taking total losses to almost £100m. On the pitch Villa stood still, finishing sixth twice more, winning plaudits but falling away each season despite O'Neill sacrificing Uefa Cup campaigns.

Meanwhile, Manchester City had been taken over by a Sheikh whose oil wealth far outstripped Lerner's. City, spending £210m in transfers in that period, overtook Villa. So did Tottenham, their £49m two-year transfer spend and £20m per annum larger wage bill underpinned by a commercial operation which produced profits, after those wages had been paid, of £41m across those two seasons.

Lerner, having invested some £180m, decided enough was enough. Last summer transfer dealing was minimal, and turned a profit. Villa sold James Milner for £26m and bought Stephen Ireland for £8m. On the eve of the season, as these deals were being prepared, O'Neill walked out, apparently because he was unhappy that he could not re-invest all the Milner fee.

Tellingly his replacement was Gérard Houllier, a coach known for developing young talent, of which Villa have an excellent crop. True, Houllier was then given £24m to buy Darren Bent, but that was because Villa were suddenly in very real danger of relegation. Transfer dealing this summer is likely to be with a view to turning a profit, starting with Young's departure.

With Houllier's ill-health having forced his exit, Lerner is seeking a manager with a reputation for developing teams on tight budgets. He may now be thinking of an exit strategy, or he could just bide his time, waiting to see what impact Uefa's Financial Fair Play has on fees and wages.

Is it any wonder that owners, increasingly, see FFP as their saviour?

I am really struggling to see the positives of us appointing McLeish if it happens, I have been wracking my brains to consider how to spin a positive light on affairs, but it's becoming increasingly difficult. He would sure up our defence that's for sure, but at the same time hinder our attack, something I'm not willing to accept.

However, I just can't see the logic in appointing McLeish, not at all. It goes against so much of what the club has promoted and portrayed under Lerners tenure, and until something concrete and official comes out of the club and the appointment is made I'm not going to jump on the bandwaggon and start slating Lerner at every opportunity, he has done so much good in his time here.

Until the day the appointment is made I will reserve my judgement and remain neutral, and lend my support to the board, and if the appointment is a questionable one, that is when I will become concerned.

UTV

-developing youth?

-good football?

Coyle, Hughes, Ranieri.

Id also have Chris Hughton over McLeish.

Coyle may also have turned it down. And judging McLeish against the remainder? Well there isnt much in it is there? Houghton or Holloway are hardly going to attract Europe's best prospects are they?

I just want a straight answer from the Club as to why they hold Premierleague Experiance as mso important? Van Gaal or Rijkaard could easily take Villa to the next level and without massive investment either!

I'm fairly sure that this is a superb piece of the club managing expectations.

Make us miserable - and we'll be greatful when appoint someone else!!

:bonk:

This has crossed my mind to be honest as I was told (i hate saying this but) by a someone with links that we had been given permission by Bolton to speak to Coyle, I laughed it off at the time but if the rumours are true that we approached several clubs?

I think we should go all out for someone like Poyet.

**** it, we can't do any worse than McLeish so let's take a gamble on a lower league manager who oozes class and can continue the good work GH started from a footballing perspective.

Evertonia1878 - I'm sure we won't get Moyes but don't believe everything you see on SSN. We may still go for Hughes and are just waiting for his contract wrangle to be sorted.