• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whelan's assertion that Martinez is destined to be manager of one of the Top 6 clubs in the world is laughable

His win % is 26 **** %

AT WIGAN!!!!!

FFS.

58% win rate at Swansea - that would be 66 points in wins alone if he managed that across a PL season.

Not so shabby then is it.

Sounds like a good match for Villa and fair play to the club if they've chosen someone because of his integrity as much as his skill

to coach.

Agreed Julie.

Yes, to some it may be classed as a backwards step, but we need to basically build the team up from scratch again after the people we have seen leave this season and last.

We could have a young manager with his own philosophy, and he will have time to implement this into the existing squad whilst getting players who he thinks will slot in well with it.

If it is Martinez, I won't be judging him on next season. I'll give him chance to build his squad and if 3 years down the line we haven't gone anywhere then it's time to look at what he has done / is doing.

I reckon Makoun will be an important part of his team next year.

Whelan also said that Randy Lerner is a thoroughly honest and decent man, we've played it straight down the line and that at some

stage Roberto Martinez will manage one of the top clubs in Europe because he is a very talented coach who plays it straight down the line.

Sounds like a good match for Villa and fair play to the club if they've chosen someone because of his integrity as much as his skill

to coach.

Sorry Julie, did Whelan say that last bit about being a good match or is that your opinion added on - only asking because i haven't seen it?

Edit: Don't worry, figured it out from posts above

Hmmm... I'm very sceptical of this appointment, and it does look like it will be Martinez. I'll back him all the way and will give him time, but I think we are in for a very disappointing season. I reckon that it will only be a matter of time before the fans start to turn on him en masse. I will not be one of them as I don't really subscribe to the booing of your own team or criticize at the first opportunity, but I feel that giving the job to Martinez now is bad timing. Hope to be proven wrong though, and as I said, I'll give him my full support if he comes.

btw, Im loving McClaren screaming "I wasnt ever contacted and I never contacted them. I've not been rejected, I havent, I havent I HAVENT"

The guy though did make it clear that he wasn't saying he wouldn't be interested in the vacancy though, so i think you're being a tad unfair on Steve Maclaren there.

He always struck me as being too matey with his players, with nicknames for all of them..... which probably comes from his time as being assistant to Sir Alex for such a long time.

Dave Whelan interview on SSN -

"Villa fans should be very proud of the way their club handles matters. If every club behaved like Aston Villa football would be a much better place to be!"

That makes me proud. Always proud of being a Villan, but I love to hear things like that.

Martinez? Well, if we do get him I don't know where I stand. Neither overly happy, nor unhappy. He's a risk and it's debatable if we can afford to take such a risk. But if it goes the right way, which it can, then we might have something really good to look forward too.

Thos who criticise him for only keeping Wigan up by the skin of their teeth are truly using the wrong stick. It's Wigan, no disrespect but they're one of the smallest club, probably the smallest now, and to keep them up is something he should get credits for. Everyone expected them to go out, and probably not even reaching 30 points. That's not saying he's good enough for us, but it doesn't say the opposite either.

Every big manager has to start somewhere. Martinez started at Swansea and then Wigan. Ferguson started at Aberdeen. Wenger at some japanese club. Etc, etc. I'm not comparing Martinez to any of those per se, just saying that we can't know for sure how things will pan out if we sign him. In some way I'd prefer him to Moyes, as Moyes has made himself a name at Everton, whilst Martinez hasn't made himself a name yet. Not saying I'd prefer him over Moyes on all accounts.

So please, if he's our next manager, just back him up and give him some time. That's the best thing anyone here can do.

yeah, was just about to post that.

"Aston Villa supporters - your club has behaved superbly"

"If every club behaved like Aston Villa, football would be much nicer"

Yeah very good, well done Randy.

However for the sake of argument, you could say that nice guys don't come first. The reality of life is that football isn't a nice industry and maybe we should be a bit more ruthless at times?

But for some, retaining your own integrity is more important than winning at any cost ;)

Whelan's assertion that Martinez is destined to be manager of one of the Top 6 clubs in the world is laughable

His win % is 26 **** %

He's managing Wigan FFS. Without Valencia, Palacious, Bramble etc who other managers have had.

What on earth is wrong with you? That stat means absolutely **** all...

For me Martinez ticks a lot of the boxes...

1) Prem experience.

2) Recent Prem experience

3) Likable manager who players respect

4) Desire to play attractive football

5) Can work with a budget

6) Works with the Board to develop the club. Not just rinse the coffers then run off at the first sign of trouble.

If it's not to be Moyes then RM would get my full backing.

I don't think Martinez will be the next manager of AVFC.

Agreed. I still think there will be one last twist.

I really do hope so. Still holding out for a big name manager (and that includes Moyes) to come out of nowhere. :(

1) Prem experience.

6) Works with the Board to develop the club. Not just rinse the coffers then run off at the first sign of trouble.

Totally agree.... Exemplorary handling of pressure too.

Contrast his behaviour in the lead up to Survival Sunday with blabber mouth Holloway. Quiet, dignified and when the game came, looked to attack and get the 3 points.

Could do a lot worse.... If he gets the job, he has my full support.

As for the Liverpool and Arsenal games. My mates sister works in the ward where Houllier was and I was getting updates through him/her. Her words through that period were 'touch and go', she also stated for the large part he was allowed no visitors or phone calls so unless he telepathically picked the team and tactics from his hospital bed then he had largely nothing to do with those results. Credit where it's due those results were largely down to GMac as unpopular as he seems to be.

I didn't put the updates on here as it wasn't my place to say how bad he actually was. As it has since been released then it doesn't matter now.

That was considerate of you. Also convenient, for you.

Telepathy? You obviously haven't heard of email..

I hate to disagree with your 'mates sister' :lol:... but I really doubt that he wasn't allowed visitors or phonecalls for weeks and weeks and weeks :lol:

Hmmm... I'm very sceptical of this appointment, and it does look like it will be Martinez. I'll back him all the way and will give him time, but I think we are in for a very disappointing season.

nice positive start to your support of him :D

1) Prem experience.

Totally agree.... Exemplorary handling of pressure too.

Contrast his behaviour in the lead up to Survival Sunday with blabber mouth Holloway. Quiet, dignified and when the game came, looked to attack and get the 3 points.

Could do a lot worse.... If he gets the job, he has my full support.

I'd like to echo these points and add that I agree with Dave Whelan that in time he will (Martinez) go on to much bigger things. I obviously would like that to happen with Villa but nothing is certain and I would hope Villa fans gave him time if we weren't at the top of the table by October.

So please, if he's our next manager, just back him up and give him some time. That's the best thing anyone here can do.

Exactly. This is one of the most important things we as supporters can do. Back the manager and the players and show that we trust them to do the best they can. I think it's much easier as a player to lift yourself when you feel the crowd and fans standing behind you as things are rough. I know some people feel they are entitled to let the club know of their displeasure, and they are, but most times I think it's a very counter-productive thing to do.